Thread: Estate agents in trouble

Estate agents in trouble

I saw this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44681564

And felt no sympathy whatsoever, my view is that the more established estate agents are parasites stealing a living.

I'm not entirely sure what they do and have never, ever felt they justify the ridiculous fees they charge for their 'service'.

The amount they charge to simply continue a rental agreement is obscene.

The last one I used when I sold a house, JustMove, so not a well known name or brand, charged me £995 to take pictures, list and organise the viewings and got me the price I wanted. I just don't know how other firms charge multiple Ks for their 'work'.

Whenever I've been shown round a property it's like listening to a commentary by Andy Townsend, telling me what I'm looking at with my own eyes

Sorry if you are an estate agent and feel free to change my view if I've been unfair

My house has gone up for sale this morning with an online estate agents. There's no way on this earth I was going to pay a high street estate agent up to three times as much for doing as near as damn it the same job.

Unfair....not really
    Being a cock.... probably

You can find things to complain about any profession, literally any, don't get me started on doctors receptionists

How can you complain about what you pay when you admit you don't know what they do ???

Nobody is forcing you to take the more expensive options are they ?
    Your friends list is empty

Rent, business rates, staffing costs, utilities, printing, etc. all cost money. Although I agree that the fee you pay to an estate agent is extremely high, I guess if it wasn't then they wouldn't survive very long. How many fees a week will they be getting? not a lot would be my guess.

Like with most of the retail sector, the World is changing and the high street estate agent will soon be a thing of the past.

I reckon Paul works in an estate agency on a Saturday...

To be fair, the High street will be a thing of the past in the very near future

ps. the sister in law used to own one

pps. an estate agent, not a high street !

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    I saw this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44681564

And felt no sympathy whatsoever, my view is that the more established estate agents are parasites stealing a living.

I'm not entirely sure what they do and have never, ever felt they justify the ridiculous fees they charge for their 'service'.

The amount they charge to simply continue a rental agreement is obscene.

The last one I used when I sold a house, JustMove, so not a well known name or brand, charged me £995 to take pictures, list and organise the viewings and got me the price I wanted. I just don't know how other firms charge multiple Ks for their 'work'.

Whenever I've been shown round a property it's like listening to a commentary by Andy Townsend, telling me what I'm looking at with my own eyes

Sorry if you are an estate agent and feel free to change my view if I've been unfair
    I think its one of the few occupations that you can take on without having to pass any exams to qualify you. Any joker can do it.
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Unfair....not really
    Being a cock.... probably

You can find things to complain about any profession, literally any, don't get me started on doctors receptionists

How can you complain about what you pay when you admit you don't know what they do ???

Nobody is forcing you to take the more expensive options are they ?
    Nope, nobody is forcing me and I'm glad attitudes are changing. But it certainly used to be the case that you "had" to have an estate agent.

I had a few established brands come around to talk about listing my house, they pretty much based their entire pitch on putting pictures on the web but they couldn't tell me what other sites apart from RightMove or Zoopla they used or whether they used web analytics to work out which type / demographic of people were looking at houses like mine and then targeting those people. What, to me, seem like basic things for a practice whose primary method of advertising properties is web based.

As I said, if I'm being unfair and there are things / service they do that I'm obviously not aware of please tell me, I'd hate to be ignorant in my opinion

Can you hire more than one estate agent at any one time, so that they all get to try and sell your property, with no sell no fee meaning you only pay the seller?
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Knows View Post
    Can you hire more than one estate agent at any one time, so that they all get to try and sell your property, with no sell no fee meaning you only pay the seller?
    Yes.

https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for...-should-i-use/

Not sure why, but we as consumers seem to only credit effort, rather than skill.
    Example, my mate is a locksmith. When he started, he'd arrive at the house of someone locked out. He'd struggle (nerves, lack of experience) and sometimes cause some minor damage to the door, before getting said customer in. Said customer is then grateful, ignores the mess/damage, and pays the bill without complaint.
    Fast forward several years. Mate is now highly qualified, and experienced. Turns up at same house, within seconds, manages to gain access to the property. Customers perceive a lack of effort and are unhappy with paying the same bill.
    My mate now arrives at a property and pretends to struggle for a short time, before getting in.
    Mates gripe - people don't appear to like paying for years of skills, training and experience that facilitates efficiency.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Not sure why, but we as consumers seem to only credit effort, rather than skill.
    Example, my mate is a locksmith. When he started, he'd arrive at the house of someone locked out. He'd struggle (nerves, lack of experience) and sometimes cause some minor damage to the door, before getting said customer in. Said customer is then grateful, ignores the mess/damage, and pays the bill without complaint.
    Fast forward several years. Mate is now highly qualified, and experienced. Turns up at same house, within seconds, manages to gain access to the property. Customers perceive a lack of effort and are unhappy with paying the same bill.
    My mate now arrives at a property and pretends to struggle for a short time, before getting in.
    Mates gripe - people don't appear to like paying for years of skills, training and experience that facilitates efficiency.
    Who would you call the next time, your mate who takes a while to get in and makes a mess or your mate who gets in quickly and makes no mess?

I will always listen to anyone that knows more on a subject than me (at the last count that's 60 million people in this country alone )
    I will always gladly pay for knowledge and experience. for example:

I know a person who basically fits Chinese GoPro cameras to diggers, he has only recently moved house but he must be close to being a millionaire, I don't resent him for it, I respect him

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I will always listen to anyone that knows more on a subject than me (at the last count that's 60 million people in this country alone )
    I will always gladly pay for knowledge and experience. for example:

I know a person who basically fits Chinese GoPro cameras do diggers, he has only recently moved house but he must be close to being a millionaire, I don't resent him for it, I respect him
    Multi...

Estate agents..
    I still don't understand why it takes so long to move into an house that has no upward chain.
    Why they still send letters! between themselves and charge £50 for the pleasure*
    Why it takes so long to get a mining report that hasn't changed in the last 40 years when the house owner has one from 5 years earlier.
    It's a fake long drawn out process to justify the ridiculous cost.

*A friend was told that one agent was awaiting another's letter (and had been for 2 weeks) and so did the job for them out of frustration.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

Isnít all that down to the solicitors?

And the mortgage company who won't release funds without an up to date mines search.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    Pretty much everybody involved in house purchasing is a lazy, robbing, lying cunt.
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

Worked for an Estate Agent p/t when I was between jobs - easiest money I ever picked up
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe