Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs and how you rate them.

Pubs and how you rate them.

A thread for the piss heads, or for those that still enjoy and appreciate a good pub. Since being back I've been to a few that I've never been to before, mostly pubs out in the Country. Most of them still having that cosy, old pub feel to them which I love. So, a thread to share you experiences of new pubs, old pubs, pubs you visit on holidays, on your travels, or ones that tick all the boxes for you.

Happy pub crawling

The Chetwode Arms in Woore. Lovely pub, friendly staff, got the fire going today, where I sat and had a pint and a Prawn sandwich . 8/10

Let’s start with the Great Western. My favourite boozer on the planet. Fantastic beer, ambience is just how I like it, service is great. Love the place 10/10

Nags Head and Star, Leicester. Excellent pub. Perfect away fans spot when playing the Foxes. Demolished
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Double 6 Sports Bar. Wembley

Has a disfigured painting of Glenn Hoddle on the toilet door.

-2000000000 /10

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

-2000000000 /10
    I'd go just to see that.

The Springbok, Shepherds Bush. Abominable. But looks like the Savoy Grill compared to double six.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Lister Arms - Malham

If you are ever in that neck of the woods give them a try. Nice selection of ales and the sandwiches are spot on. Nice open fire place to keep you warm if the Yorkshire weather is crap.

-2000000000 /10
    What's worse though, a toilet with a picture of Hoddle or the toilets in the O'Neills we were in in Harrow

The Folly Farringdon, Oxfordshire. My old local when I worked in Swindon. Fabulous beer but run like a lunatic asylum.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Trips View Post
    What's worse though, a toilet with a picture of Hoddle or the toilets in the O'Neills we were in in Harrow
    The actual toilets in the D6 made the O'Neills in Harrow look like 5* luxury

That is so true. They were terrifyingly bad
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    The Chetwode Arms in Woore. Lovely pub, friendly staff, got the fire going today, where I sat and had a pint and a Prawn sandwich . 8/10
    Not far from me PPB. The next time you're up this way and fancy a posh bit of nosh try the Swan with Two necks. The Mainwaring Arms is a great place for a beer just up the A53 for a mile or so. You could also try the Hand and Trumpet in Betley and the The Wheatsheaf in Onnerley.

Some nice Countryside and good beer.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Not far from me PPB. The next time you're up this way and fancy a posh bit of nosh try the Swan with Two necks. The Mainwaring Arms is a great place for a beer just up the A53 for a mile or so. You could also try the Hand and Trumpet in Betley and the The Wheatsheaf in Onnerley.

Some nice Countryside and good beer.
    It's lovely around there Johnny. Will definitely try the Swan With Two Necks when we are next up that way. Cheers for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Hand and Trumpet in Betley .
    Is that the one on Wrinehill Road?

Love that pub as we can take the dogs in. Never had a bad meal in there. Visit quite a lot as we take the in laws to the Wyevale Garden Centre up the road and always stop at the Hand.

I like The Station in Codsall. Always a nice pint, and the faggots are lovely,but if you can't sit in the comfy part then the rest of the place smells of stale piss. I'd give it a 7 but because of the piss it gets a 6.

Is that the one on Wrinehill Road?

Love that pub as we can take the dogs in. Never had a bad meal in there. Visit quite a lot as we take the in laws to the Wyevale Garden Centre up the road and always stop at the Hand.
    It is. Food and beer are very good.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Agree with Paddy regarding The Great Western - a proper gem of a pub. And I get to pop in next Friday as I'm working in Wolverhampton. Huzzah!

Some decent haunts that I've recently been to:

Beer Emporium, Kidderminster - a bit of a gem. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but mega friendly, the owner (who reminds me of Guy Garvey purely because he's Mancunian and tall) is brilliant, really knows his stuff and gave my Mrs' dog a biscuit. Beer selection is amazing - around 5 on draught, 5 more on keg and a fuckload in bottles.

Pint Shop, Birmingham - situated right next to The Wellington and excellent for craft ales. Normally around 20 or so on tap, well kept, staff are great. Doesn't smell as much as the Wellington.

The King Arthur, Hagley - Bathams' new place in a village that probably hasn't served pints of ale under 3 for 10 years! Very nice indeed though it gets a bit busy at weekends, and being Hagley, some of them thing they're well posh innit. The ale is kept at the high standards as Bathams demand and it has a more modern feel than most of their other places.

Personal all time favourite is probably the Bull and Bladder in Brierley Hill. Not been for ages actually - I must rectify that.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The Pendulum Pendeford. Bad. Very bad indeed. I thought I had walked onto the set of Shameless
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    The Pendulum Pendeford. Bad. Very bad indeed. I thought I had walked onto the set of Shameless
    The Dovecotes. The Pendulum but on steroids!
    400 channels and nowt to watch!

The 'Bankes Arms' in Studland (my brother lives there) - only in the winter months though as during the summer season you can't get in for all the holiday trade.

The Double 6 at Wembley wasn't the worst I have been in - one or two I was taken in when working around Peckham & Bermondsey in the early 90's beat that into a cocked hat. I have wiped their names from my memory!
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Bants in Upton Snodbury, Worcester, absolutely loved that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Talking of Wembley, I need to give credit to The Plough in Wollaston because we started and finished our day there (it was louder at the start of the day...). Always been a good pub (serves a cracking pint of Hobsons Town Crier) but the sausage and bacon butties at 8am washed down with a few jars of Enville were also quite fantastic.

Does really nice and affordable pub grub too.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Another one (more local to me) - The Kings Arms in East Stour

Best food in a pub I have had anywhere.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

The Western is a fucking hole.

My local, The Crown. Dream of a boozer.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Agree with Paddy regarding The Great Western - a proper gem of a pub. And I get to pop in next Friday as I'm working in Wolverhampton. Huzzah!

Some decent haunts that I've recently been to:

Beer Emporium, Kidderminster - a bit of a gem. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but mega friendly, the owner (who reminds me of Guy Garvey purely because he's Mancunian and tall) is brilliant, really knows his stuff and gave my Mrs' dog a biscuit. Beer selection is amazing - around 5 on draught, 5 more on keg and a fuckload in bottles.

Pint Shop, Birmingham - situated right next to The Wellington and excellent for craft ales. Normally around 20 or so on tap, well kept, staff are great. Doesn't smell as much as the Wellington.

The King Arthur, Hagley - Bathams' new place in a village that probably hasn't served pints of ale under 3 for 10 years! Very nice indeed though it gets a bit busy at weekends, and being Hagley, some of them thing they're well posh innit. The ale is kept at the high standards as Bathams demand and it has a more modern feel than most of their other places.

Personal all time favourite is probably the Bull and Bladder in Brierley Hill. Not been for ages actually - I must rectify that.
    Love going in the Bull and Bladder when doing Delph Run. And then having a pint of Holsten Pils draught and not real beer ha
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by UKYankieWWFC View Post
    The Dovecotes. The Pendulum but on steroids!
    Last time I was passing it had been converted to a church...

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    The Western is a fucking hole.

My local, The Crown. Dream of a boozer.
    In what way?

DW, what's happening with The Crown in Codsall Wood ( now changed to Pendrell Arms) ? Is it up for sale again?

DW doesn’t like the landlord.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

I am sat in the Western right now and hole isn’t a word that is springing to mind. Amazingly, Dan and I don’t agree on everything. These differences of opinion are nothing but healthy.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quite like the Holt Fleet in Worcester, sat next to the river severn. Good for a cheeky toot and pint

Also the Rock Tavern, Stourport way, nice pub with a log burner. Has these old cave things out the back. And nice views from the walk/bridge by it
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.