Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pubs and how you rate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    It was a "pharmacy" in its own way, believe me....
    Yup, was a common pit stop on the way to town or Brum in the 90s.

Seeing as we're naming random decent pubs, Paddy's Irish Bar in Pas De La Casa is a solid 8/10.

Postman vaults in brum is ace, ask for a cider of the board (theres loads) and they go out the back and just give you some random gut rot!

Best Brum pubs:

Tilt
    Brewdog
    Head of Steam
    The Wellie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Post Office Vaults is excellent, I agree. Pure Bar is good too. Clink in Digbeth is an excellent bottle shop.

No time whatsoever for Tilt or Brewdog mind you.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

machin05 is online now MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Clink has had to change its name. Now called Beer Digbeth.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

I'll give you the Head of steam, not massive of the other 3, Brewdog is always nigh on impossible to get served. Wellies is ok.

I love the Old Contemptables, had many a good night in there. Fox and chicken used to be good up constitution hill, and queens arms in St Paul's sq

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    I'll give you the Head of steam, not massive of the other 3, Brewdog is always nigh on impossible to get served. Wellies is ok.

I love the Old Contemptables, had many a good night in there. Fox and chicken used to be good up constitution hill, and queens arms in St Paul's sq
    The Old Contemptables was my local when I was at Aston Uni.

Big head's up to the Western. Proper pub. I've a soft spot for the Posada too.

The Mainwaring Arms was an old haunt of mine too. Duke of York at Millmeece was another one in that neck of the woods.

One of the worst I've ever been in is Cundy's in Silvertown, E London.

Weirdest moment was in the 'Why Not' on Wolverhampton Road, Stafford about 15 years ago whilst having a pint with Kenny.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post

Weirdest moment was in the 'Why Not' on Wolverhampton Road, Stafford about 15 years ago whilst having a pint with Kenny.
    They guy having a fight with the life sized cardboard cut out of Martin Johnson?

I used to love the Posada too. It's been genuinely awful for the last few years though, unfortunately.

Posada was my local when I lived in town, I liked the place but it always was a bit up and down, must admit not been in for a while

McGee being out the back used to spoil it/make for entertainment dependant on your views.

Another vote for the western it's my go to pub in town.

The Woodbridge Inn at Coalport is a nice place to visit, nice food, cracking location and decent set of beers/gins. Downside is that it's a bit on the pricey side and service can be a little slow. Great place to go on a summer evening

Worst one I've been to since being back, The Thomas Botfield, Telford. Maybe it's better in an evening, but lunchtime it looked like a good fight had taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    Posada was my local when I lived in town, I liked the place but it always was a bit up and down, must admit not been in for a while

McGee being out the back used to spoil it/make for entertainment dependant on your views.

Another vote for the western it's my go to pub in town.

The Woodbridge Inn at Coalport is a nice place to visit, nice food, cracking location and decent set of beers/gins. Downside is that it's a bit on the pricey side and service can be a little slow. Great place to go on a summer evening
    Part of the same group as the Fox, Newport and tbe Armoury Shrewsbury and a few others, good atmosphere, food and some beers but like you say a bit pricey for what it is
    FJRWolf

The Old Contemptables was my local when I was at Aston Uni.

Big head's up to the Western. Proper pub. I've a soft spot for the Posada too.

The Mainwaring Arms was an old haunt of mine too. Duke of York at Millmeece was another one in that neck of the woods.

One of the worst I've ever been in is Cundy's in Silvertown, E London.

Duke of York, Millmeece is a house now I think, was a decent Indian restaurant for a while
    FJRWolf

Honourable mention for the Hog’s Head, best pub in Wolvo for beer choices by a mile.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Honourable mention for the Hog’s Head, best pub in Wolvo for beer choices by a mile.
    Shame its impossible to get in on a matchday after 1pm.

The Bell at Trysul is a favourite, enjoying proper faggots and peas with bathams is always a winner.

The Oaken arms is decent too for food, plus it welcomes dogs and has a circular walk. So you get a nice walk out with the dog and come back for a few pints and something nice to eat. It also has/had the biggest selection of whiskey I had seen in a pub. On the pricey side though but it's good food

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Shame its impossible to get in on a matchday after 1pm.
    Definitely a massive downside.

U[QUOTE=Keef;1240131]The James Joyce,Prague.
    Admittedly it's an Irish pub,but it's a proper country pub feel,good choice of beers,foods ok,atmospheres great,best of all its away from the tourist trail,down a side street,and used to have a tiny sign in the window so dead easy to miss,it's got tables outside now,so looks a bit more pubby
    The Sherlock Holmes, Bialystok Poland
    English pub name,but weirdly a proper polish bar,it's right in the centre and great for people watching,I went in fully expecting an English bar,wasn't brave enough to risk a polish bar but anyway,that didn't quite work out.
    There's a good one in koprivnice in the Czech Republic,behind the main hotel by the tatra museum,but it's name escapes me,I got suckered in by the 80s music blaring out,and it was a lot better than I thought it would be,and of course proper Czech lager[/QUO

Me coming across as a bit of a dick with this post,recommending random places in towns you're not likely to visit,Bialystok is very nice,as you'll all find out if we draw FK Jagionella away in the Europa league,and the tatra museum is worth £3 of anyone's money for the fantastic cars and proper kick ass trucks
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    They guy having a fight with the life sized cardboard cut out of Martin Johnson?
    Yeah.

There's a Brewdog Overworks even there this weekend. Wild fermented, barrel aged, farmhouse, imperial stouts and sours.... That should go down well with the pre-match football crowd

The Royal Oak has done well to survive. Quite a few nearby pubs have closed including The West Way, Rickerscote Arms, The Nesbitt and The Garth.

After years with a dearth of decent pubs in the town centre Stafford now has a few. The Sun, The Bird in Hand, Slaters, The Rose and Crown and Market Vaults are all good but the micoropub on Newport Road, The Floodgate, is great. Five guest beers from pale to stout, always well kept and all £3.20 a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf Wolf View Post
    The Royal Oak has done well to survive. Quite a few nearby pubs have closed including The West Way, Rickerscote Arms, The Nesbitt and The Garth.

After years with a dearth of decent pubs in the town centre Stafford now has a few. The Sun, The Bird in Hand, Slaters, The Rose and Crown and Market Vaults are all good but the micoropub on Newport Road, The Floodgate, is great. Five guest beers from pale to stout, always well kept and all £3.20 a pint.
    The Nessie and Garth were great, i grew up midway between both and they were where I had my first pints (legal and non-legal). The Oak, Rickie and these rest of them are all shite and should have gone long before both.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf Wolf View Post

Funnily enough the Sun and Bird in Hand were great pubs back in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    There's a Brewdog Overworks even there this weekend. Wild fermented, barrel aged, farmhouse, imperial stouts and sours.... That should go down well with the pre-match football crowd
    If it emptied it pre or post match I’d be in there like a shot.

It just doesn't lend itself to football sadly. The shape of the building means it fills up way too quickly.

Quit your moaning anyway, the Boho has plenty of weird ass beers for you...
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Yeah Boho's sound. Probably the best post-match piss up I've ever had after the Man City game in there, must have had at least two of every beer they had, and they had some fucking good ones that day.

Seem to remember that being one of my "ah, I'll get the train home about half six" days. Which went well.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    Worst one I've been to since being back, The Thomas Botfield, Telford. Maybe it's better in an evening, but lunchtime it looked like a good fight had taken place.
    It's a Wetherspoons, it's never good.

Yeah Boho's sound. Probably the best post-match piss up I've ever had after the Man City game in there, must have had at least two of every beer they had, and they had some fucking good ones that day.
    Dozed off on the bus home after that game and looped around Ashmore and was heading back to Wolves