Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    In L’Equipe today, Gael Givet says Sam Allardyce tried to fire Blackburn’s players up for a game against Man United in 2010 by showing them clips from Gladiator and 300. “We were all like, ‘Ahhhhh!’ [mimics soldier with sword]. After 30 minutes, we were 3-0 down. We lost 7-1.”

Top work from the gravy man there

Real Madrids cow shirt..

Carole Baskin is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    I'm not comfortable with this. It's been tried through the judicial system twice and two jurys have heard all the evidence whereas I haven't. However if such a systematic cover up which goes to the very highest level of Government sees nobody prosecuted then that's a disgrace.

As for Duckenfield he's a liar and at best an incompetant disgrace.

It's really hard to comment on without hearing all the evidence (a lot of which you would imagine you really wouldn't want to hear).

I must say that some people were prosecuted. They weren't convicted.

I totally agree about his incompetence on the day, but what is coming out now rather points to those appointing him to that match on insufficient notice to get prepared.

For me, a large portion of the blame sits with the Chairman of Sheffield Wednesday. After our match with Spurs he was asked to make that area safer as people were at risk and said "bollocks - nobody died". And then put pen fences in that made the area even more dangerous. And he let the stadium still be considered even though it didn't have a safety cert, which the club secretary has got done for. Duckenfield couldn't cope and was utterly overwhelmed by events, and there is definitely some culpability in there, but the people putting him in that situation where he put innocent football fans into their horror should be just as much to blame.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Burden of proof, isn't it.

Can you put all that down to one man.

Duckenfield was clearly culpable to some degree (he even tacitly says so these days) but on a legal front it's a different matter.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Whilst the last inquest said that they were unlawfully killed the burden of proof in a criminal charge is higher.

Was Duckenfield responsible - clearly he was to a large degree, but there will have been others who played a part. Always going to be difficult to pin the whole thing on him & convict.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

Gross negligence manslaughter on one individual when he had clearly also been left in the shit by wankers above him was always going to be a tough burden of proof. Doesn't make him a good guy or anything. He has been odious about this for thirty years and never seemed to show even an iota of contrition or regret.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Didn't the Taylor report come out of the Hillsborough incident. I'm not defending him but if a systematic review is required which brings in changes regarding how matches are policed, ticketed etc.

Seems harsh to hold one man culpable for systemic failures

The Taylor report came out of it yes. It looked pretty much specifically at ground safety.

And I have read the whole thing. It's not a fun read. But there is a huge chunk of it about Wolves v Spurs 1981 that shows that stand was massively unsafe 8 years before it cost lives.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

The coroner found the victims to be unlawfully killed. So who unlawfully killed them?

Something odd going on at the PL.

Scudamore left and it took ages for them to even start looking for a replacement.

The two they've found since have both resigned without even starting the job.

Twitter
    Facebook

Latest chap sort of had to resign. Some rather salacious private life stuff has come out involving a female ex work colleague.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Looks like Charlton are finally rid of Duchatelet. Good.

Twitter
    Facebook

Just been on the Boro forum (no idea why), but there’s real trouble at mill there with Woodgate seemingly totally out of his depth and money haemorrhaging from Gibson’s pot - doesn’t seem that long ago that they came to Molineux as one of the favourites to go straight back up to the PL. Smacks of our own descent to League One.

Classy from Sol Campbell.

Whoever agreed to be paying him 180k +++ for eight months work in League 2 should be made to cough up the cash themselves. Ludicrous amount.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ub-owed-182000

Should he have worked for free? Ultimately he kept them up and they were very happy to promise the money to him - I would imagine a far amount of that is a bonus too.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Should he have worked for free? Ultimately he kept them up and they were very happy to promise the money to him - I would imagine a far amount of that is a bonus too.
    No I'm not saying he should have worked for free. My point is that that it seems a huge amount considering the level that they were playing. I also think that supporting a winding up petition, rather than a possible CVA where you would think he could get something, is a poor stance showing in a way that the money isn't the point for him. I feel sorry for the supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    No I'm not saying he should have worked for free. My point is that that it seems a huge amount considering the level that they were playing. I also think that supporting a winding up petition, rather than a possible CVA where you would think he could get something, is a poor stance showing in a way that the money isn't the point for him. I feel sorry for the supporters.
    I would imagine a lot of that was heavily weighted on him keeping them up, with their directors promising everything would be rosy if he did keep them up and they would have enough to pay him etc.

Donít really no the merits of the options taking, but donít most of these winding up petitions against football clubs end up with the club paying what they owe and carrying on?
    )

Only two of the players from the weakened Liverpool team who played Arsenal in the last round are staying in the country for the 1/4 final of the League Cup.

Chelsea's transfer ban has been lifted by the CAS and they're free to sign players in January.

I'm just glad their fine was reduced, what a burden.

Football in Ireland is in meltdown

The effects of having a charlatan running your football association for 15years now coming to the surface. Now that Delaney has gone, the truth coming out in waves.

FAI released their accounts, after hearing for years that the debt was slowly coming down turns out it was bullshit €55million in debt, hemeoraging money at the moment, the accounts for 2016 & 2017 which showed a smallish profit were wrong, should have showed losses. 2018 lost €8million. Had 15 different bank accounts.

An investigation in the FAI was sent to the minister of sport and rather then making it public he sent it to the Garda for investigation. The sponsor for the last 10years (telecommunications company Three) have announced they have withdrawn from their sponsorship. The new CEO who was appointed recently after Delaney was kicked out, bailed out at the last minute.

Association is completely fucked, UEFA propping it up at the moment, talk of things being terminal for the association. Job losses on the way for officials, grass roots coaches etc, while Delaney walked away with a payoff of €460k plus a pension payment.

Dear God.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Wolf View Post
    Football in Ireland is in meltdown

The effects of having a charlatan running your football association for 15years now coming to the surface. Now that Delaney has gone, the truth coming out in waves.

FAI released their accounts, after hearing for years that the debt was slowly coming down turns out it was bullshit €55million in debt, hemeoraging money at the moment, the accounts for 2016 & 2017 which showed a smallish profit were wrong, should have showed losses. 2018 lost €8million. Had 15 different bank accounts.

An investigation in the FAI was sent to the minister of sport and rather then making it public he sent it to the Garda for investigation. The sponsor for the last 10years (telecommunications company Three) have announced they have withdrawn from their sponsorship. The new CEO who was appointed recently after Delaney was kicked out, bailed out at the last minute.

Association is completely fucked, UEFA propping it up at the moment, talk of things being terminal for the association. Job losses on the way for officials, grass roots coaches etc, while Delaney walked away with a payoff of €460k plus a pension payment.
    This stuff keeps unravelling. Loads of under the table payments that make no sense.

Delaney is a real piece of work.

Twitter
    Facebook

Oh, and they somehow got themselves in hock to Sports Direct, which is always a lovely place to be. Just ask Newcastle and Rangers.

A serious worry would be if they've taken out iffy debt on the Aviva itself. No-one seems to know who has an interest in it. It's basically all they've got now.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Oh, and they somehow got themselves in hock to Sports Direct, which is always a lovely place to be. Just ask Newcastle and Rangers.

A serious worry would be if they've taken out iffy debt on the Aviva itself. No-one seems to know who has an interest in it. It's basically all they've got now.
    Fuck didnt know about the sports direct one, but to be honest its hard to keep up with it all.

I dont think they can do too much with the Aviva as it was not really theirs, am open to correction on this but the land it is built on belongs to the IRFU, back in 2006ish a new company was formed for the redevelopment between the FAI and IRFU with some government imput, that has a lease on the Aviva for 60years, after that it goes back into IRFU ownership, the theory being that in 60years time the stadium would have to rebuilt again. In fairness that was a good deal at the time, they got use of a national stadium for 60years and it was only costing them €75million, before that they had to hire Lansdown Road off the IRFU when they wanted it.

So in effect there only asses is a lease for 45-50years for a stadium that doesnt belong to them, and a couple of LOI grounds, but literally they have no others assets and €55million in debt and growing.

Grim, man.

I don't actually know what happens when a national FA goes bump as it shouldn't ever really happen.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Grim, man.

I don't actually know what happens when a national FA goes bump as it shouldn't ever really happen.
    No it shouldn't, but generally you would expect the board to watch what was going on, but they were asleep at the wheel or scared stiff of Delaney and anyone who did ask questions raise concerns was quickly kicked out.

As it is, consensus seems to be that qualifying for the Euros and the subsequent cash injection is the last chance saloon for the FAI, and even then that might not be enough. UEFA is propping them up at the minute and no doubt will do until after the Euros, would be a bit of an embarrassment to have one of your host cities having no association, but after that who knows.

The government is looking at a way to fund grass roots, schoolboy and womens football directly to keep them on the road.
    There have been various parties looking in the last 12months about setting up a new LOI as the FAI was doing such a terrible job with it, the clubs will probably jump at one of these now and may keep on the right side of UEFA now. The LOI clubs are due to pay their affiliation fees to the FAI very shortly for next season, they are €19k each, which is a good lump for the vast majority of clubs, cant see any of them paying them for next year at the moment.

After that who knows, no association means no national team, suppose on the bright side will avoid the pain of not qualifying for Qatar.

Keeps on unravelling, the Criminal Assets Bureau who have some serious powers are getting involved, this will run and run.

As a side note, Delaney's old man got kicked out of the FAI in the mid 90's when he was the treasurer after he got ripped off for thousands of tickets he had paid for by a tout, was a crisis then , history repeats itself.

Delaney Jr is far worse. It's not even close. The fact the FAI were paying his rent, at the same time he had to dig them out of a hole with that bridging loan of 100k. Like WTF?

Good to see CAB getting involved, they don't mess about. Cars, homes, jewellery... If anything dodgy is found they stand to lose all of that, plus their freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...