Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1080

Thread: The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

If this season gets scrapped does that mean we can start again next year without VAR? ����
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Peter Whittingham has passed away. Only 35

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

https://www.theguardian.com/football...assimo-cellino

Now why would Brescia owner and football snitch Massimo Cellino want the Serie A season cancelled?

*Checks table*

Quite an easy little quizlette, but should use up a few minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52023107

Guardian awards of the season so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ane-danny-ings

Best young player: Adama Traoré, Wolves
    Although he was only 23 when the season started, lots of people had abandoned hope of this Spaniard becoming a reliable presence in the Premier League. But now he is its most thrilling player, getting viewers out of their seats as often as he puts opponents on their backsides. His improvement has been a joy to watch. He used to be accused of being rash with his crosses and tactically clueless, but now he is a regular supplier of clever passes and goals and can torment opponents from any of the three positions in which Nuno Espírito Santo has played him this season. From being a player who looked to be going nowhere extremely fast, he has matured into an unstoppable force.

Best match: Wolves 3-2 Manchester City
    It was a Friday night under the Molineux floodlights and you could have got drunk on the atmosphere alone. But that was no excuse for Ederson, who got himself sent off after 12 minutes for clattering into Diogo Jota outside the area. At the other end Rui Patrício saved Raheem Sterling’s penalty – twice, owing to intervention by VAR – but could not stop the forward from putting City in front from the rebound. In a contest of exhilarating intensity and rarefied quality Sterling put City 2-0 up with a cute dink. Then Wolves, for whom Traoré was phenomenal, came storming back, with Matt Doherty plundering a rousing victory in the 89th minute and effectively ending City’s title defence.

23 isn't young for a footballer

Not these days anyway. Really annoying when Sterling won Young Player of the Year last season, he was at the 2014 World Cup FFS.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Much as I loved the Manchester City game and it was a brilliant night, I would actually argue the Liverpool game was even better, even though we didn't get the result. We took on the best outfit in the country on their own terms and they treated us as equals, and it made a truly fantastic match.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

I hated the City game, was utterly ruined for me by VAR, but I can see how the neutral would enjoy it.
    )

I wouldn't say it was fantastic quality (as defending is like, part of the game) but Villa vs Spurs was probably the best game I've seen in terms of entertainment this season. The end was good too.

Twitter
    Facebook

I loved the City game. It was great to shove the VAR fucks back in their box.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I loved the winning goal in that game. Made up for the shit around the penalty.

The VAR in that game though was nothing compared to the Leicester game. That situation killed the game for me, never felt so destroyed during a game before.

I don't really get wound up by VAR, I think a lot of the supposed anger is really forced and some people think singing a song with the word "Fuck" in there makes them really tough, like 13 year old Rage Against The Machine fans in 1994.

That said on three counts we got done over in the first 45 minutes at Anfield and I wasn't happy about that.

Twitter
    Facebook

Nearly gave myself a haemorrhage against City, fucking scenes. Both Liverpool games pissed me off, we were absolutely brilliant in both games and deserved something home and away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

I got more wound up against City by the utter state of the pubs afterwards. Either stupidly loud music as if it were a normal Friday night (I assume the kidz these days love stuff up to 12 rather than 11) or comically awful service.

Let's face it, the way they came to the decision on the pen was crazy but I've seen that kind of bullshit decision given pre-VAR. And Coady did encroach, the rule is bollocks because it only applies to one side and if you play the ball, but that's what it is.

People forget that they looked at Ederson's red card and validated it. Pre-VAR you might get some gutless ref who just books him and that's the end of it.

Twitter
    Facebook

Even though we lost I think home against Spurs is my favourite. More than equal we were dominant throughout against a side that for all their problems should be one of the best in Europe. Rarely felt so proud to be a Wolves fan.

I know it always been fashionable to hate on Leeds, but they do do some really good stuff at times:

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/...831745536?s=21
    )

Rob Harris
    @RobHarris
    Women’s leagues tiers 3-7 in England stopped and all results expunged.
    FA says “We remain in consultation with the Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship Board and clubs regarding the most appropriate way to complete the current season”

English men’s non-league tiers 3-6 halted by FA & results expunged with no promotion-relegation. But no plan yet for 1-2 National League which ultimately feeds into promotion to professional EFL

If the @FA is adopting a stance that seasons should be halted and results expunged it indicates there is little prospect of any return to football for many many weeks beyond May.
    Also should all leagues in England be subject to the same position - cancelling this season?

What does Womens football tier 7 look like ?
    I have 2 friends

Dunno but it means the Wolves Women team are denied promotion. 14 wins from 15 and that's it, season gone

Apparently about 40% of EFL clubs want the season to be null and void. By all accounts it’ll mean they’ll be able to start selling season tickets for next season.
    Problem is a good proportion of their fan base will probably have financial worries to and buying season tickets will be bottom of their priorities.

I assume that 40% are in the relegation zone and bottom half with nothing to play for...
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Amazingly ‘some’ premier league clubs feel the same according to Ornstein in the Athletic. Equally amazingly these clubs include West Ham and Brighton.

Johnson promised action against profiteers..
    )

Said it before if the likes of Norwich are given a reprieve and go on to prosper from this it’ll be forever tainted as a false position. Complete integrity is thrown out the window.
    Worth noting how clubs below national league level have the finance to fight a legal battle against the FA? Not many at all.
    South Shields were 12 points clear in their league, Jersey had already guaranteed promotion from there’s.

Quote Originally Posted by jd1981 View Post
    Said it before if the likes of Norwich are given a reprieve and go on to prosper from this it’ll be forever tainted as a false position. Complete integrity is thrown out the window.
    Worth noting how clubs below national league level have the finance to fight a legal battle against the FA? Not many at all.
    South Shields were 12 points clear in their league, Jersey had already guaranteed promotion from there’s.
    On the plus side Jamie O'Hara was on Twitter celebrating the fact he won't be relegating Billericay Town this season. Always classy that guy

Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    I assume that 40% are in the relegation zone and bottom half with nothing to play for...
    If you take the Championship as an example you have 13 clubs who will feel they have a realistic chance of the plays offs or higher, 3 in no mans land and 8 in a relegation battle. Percentage wise 54/13/33. So yes completely self serving. When Leeds, Albion and Fulham say it should be cancelled and wiped from the books I'll start to listen.

O'Hara comes on Alan Brazil some mornings (he's an awful listen) and was trumpeting yesterday for the season to be null and void. Brazil disagreed

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    On the plus side Jamie O'Hara was on Twitter celebrating the fact he won't be relegating Billericay Town this season. Always classy that guy
    He’s an arsehole he was on Talksport earlier this week bemoaning the fact he left Spurs to come to us and what a big mistake it was, yes Jamie is was big mistake for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    If you take the Championship as an example you have 13 clubs who will feel they have a realistic chance of the plays offs or higher, 3 in no means land and 8 in a relegation battle. Percentage wise 54/13/33. So yes completely self serving. When Leeds, Albion and Fulham say it should be cancelled and wiped from the books I'll start to listen.
    Agreed complete self serving but can be passed off as “more things are more important than football” absolutely right there are.
    Notice West Ham and BHA have been most vocal about this, two points of note here if it’s null and void they win because threat of relegation is over, also if the PL call the league as it is now or come up with a points average they’ll be fine to.
    Mentioned Norwich earlier but in fairness they’ve kept quiet on this and stand to gain the most from this.

If it’s null and void will we finish seventh and go into the EL league? How can they make the call about whether European positions drop down the leagues without knowing who won the FA Cup? (I think they’ll finish the season anyway).