Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VAR Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    Disagree. If football wasn't entertaining nobody would care.
    Being a competition first does not preclude it from also being entertaining. But if you lose competitive validity, you may as well sell it to Vince McMahon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo„o Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

I don’t mind VAR if it’s used for factual stuff (offsides), or clear and obvious errors (no contact on penalties etc) - the problem is that it’s been used to re referee decisions that are dubious and matter of opinion.
    Feigning concern, a Labour pastime, makes you feel doubtful right from the start. The expression he pulls is exactly like last time, got to assume he just hasn't a brain!

so far on this thread i sort of agree with Marka jim, ( i think), that once the decision goes to Var the ref basically can fuck off. either the guy in the booth with 99 replays can see it better than the real time ref or he can't.
    As for the goal celebrations, oh come on when the ball hits the sprout bag you are up in the air, if after a few minutes that is dissalowed you're pissed, BUT, what is the difference between that and the little linesman's flag?
    It has to be shown live in the ground at the time, no question!
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

For me one of the things that makes football so good is the spontaneity of the wild celebrations after a last minute winner - VAR wont take that away straight away but if every goal is review-able - you only need a few of these to go against you before it will take some of that away. Now i'm not saying if you score you wont celebrate - of course you will but it 100% will take some of that excitement away knowing that we need to spend another couple of minutes checking that the goal will actually stand.

Another thing on the above is the grey areas with VAR in it's current format, for example Team A scores a goal from a cross but after a VAR review it is judged that the winger has fouled the fullback in the build up so the goal is not given. What happens however if that foul is not committed by the winger, but 4 passes before he receives it - somewhere further back - it's technically still part of the move which has contributed to a goal but may not get picked up, so that is still an unfair outcome.

I still don't buy the comparisons with cricket because decisions reviewed in Cricket are usually objective. For example - he edged it or he didn't, it's LBW or it isn't. With football the decisions are subjective and with VAR in an infant stage it's telling that even after seeing these decisions back, slowed down from about 5 different angles there's still wide spread disagreement. Cricket is also more of a stop-start game than football so it doesn't really affect the flow of the game as much.

One thing I will say is that I can see the reasons for bringing VAR in and why people want to get behind it, as ultimately people want to see a fairer game with correct decisions being made, but I definitely don't want that if it is going to have a negative effect on the game as a spectacle which I am sure it is going to. I hope to be proven wrong and only time will tell but I think this is going to be a shambles in the Premier League next season.

James is offline The Poster Equivalent of Bolton Wanderers
    Iíve gave this some thought on what Iíve seen and think of VAR

- the officials seem to be hesitant to raise there flags when they see something obvious (Wilsons disallowed goal against the Swiss) which leaves the decision down to VAR to correctly disallow the goal. In the MLS theyíve had clear incidents that have happened and then theres been a chance at the other end but the game gets dragged back because of how long the check has been made.
    - the lengths of the checks on goals ruins the excitement of the goal. Wilson goal from the ball hitting the net to the ref having a look was around 3 minutes which is way too long. I think that the VAR ref should make the decision and not arse about with everyone standing about waiting on a decision.
    - the Premier League allowing stadiums to show VAR reviews is a great decision as in the current format of not seeing whats going on in the ground is crap and is again tailoring to the TV fans and not the fans in the ground.
    - cheating b**tard clubs will now get caught out so it should stop the likes of Salah, Sterling etc falling to the ground and conning penalties.

Again just an opinion

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I’ve gave this some thought on what I’ve seen and think of VAR

- the officials seem to be hesitant to raise there flags when they see something obvious (Wilsons disallowed goal against the Swiss)
    Because they are told to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Because they are told to do so.
    If that’s the case whats the point! If you can see a clear foul put your flag up and alert the ref dont wait for VAR to check that you’re correct/incorrect.

It wasn't that obvious in real time, was it. It was quite a way from the action, neither Wilson nor Akanji were anywhere near the ball when they clashed, plenty of bodies in the box so who knows what the actual view for the ref or linesman was.

Every goal gets checked, oh look, there was a foul there which no-one noticed. Disallowed and rightly so.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

My mistake I thought the linesman had a clear view of it well thats the argument talksport made this morning. As what has been stated before my 2 cents on it, I agree 100% with DW on the Marginal argument and the fact Bournemouth won’t be getting as many penalties next season

Again it's communication. Watching on TV, we knew what the offence was after a couple of replays and I'm pretty sure everyone would say fair enough.

But in the ground, what are you thinking? Was it offside? High boot? Handball? What?
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    But in the ground, what are you thinking? Was it offside? High boot? Handball? What?
    The one good thing the Premier League are doing is using the big screens to show the issue that’s been brought up. At rhe nations league it was terrible if you were inside the ground

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Again it's communication. Watching on TV, we knew what the offence was after a couple of replays and I'm pretty sure everyone would say fair enough.

What have we had as Wolves fans under VAR. 4 Things?

Red Card v Man Utd
    Penalty v Watford
    and 2 utterly random red card checks.

2 of them we knew what the deal was but the 2 red cards that were communicated at Wembley were proper WTF moments as nothing had happened on the pitch to even make anyone think "could be a red here". There need to be more given on those 2 calls