Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Boris at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Why does it take 2 hours to get from Nottingham to Leeds ?

#FreeJohnny75
    I don't know - that's just how long the train takes.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    There's not a direct train. You have to change at Derby, Sheffield or Chesterfield
    It is direct, but you have to stop at every town between here & Leeds on the way.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Passengers will still use local networks to get to the place where they will catch the train that'll be twenty minutes quicker. All it does is add a choice of getting there twenty minutes quicker or using the old network that is twenty minutes slower.
    It won't provide a choice, Birmingham to London would only be via HS2, the WCML would no longer offer a high speed inter city journey between the two.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by BGreenWolf View Post
    The amounts of local, stopper services that can run are severely limited by the necessity of allowing the big intercity trains to run on them- the different speeds mean that they cut the local services way back to avoid delays (it's very difficult to do an overtaking maneouvre in a train!). HS2 takes those trains off those lines, and the amount of capacity for local trains sky-rockets- indeed, one of the reasons why politicians in the Midlands and the North have been so keen to wave it through.

It's a more nuanced selling point than the politicians normally point to, but it's every bit as important as the time saved, if not more so- it enables a revolution across the network, not just on the HS2 line.

Here, this article explains it better than I can. https://www.citymetric.com/transport...lding-hs2-4887

So there will be a limited running of paupers trains once HS2 is built?
    Want to go from Brum to London? Thatll be £150 on the HS2 thank you.
    In an age where you can setup a conference online from anywhere, i cant believe the clamour for a 20 minute quicker service.
    If i didn't know better, id say there was some multi multi million ££ penalties looming if the scheme wasnt give the green light.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

I've always thought HS2 is for shandy drinking southerners who work in London,the ability to buy cheap houses in the midlands and still be able to commute. to work
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by playtheace View Post
    Why would paupers want to go to London, unless you're Dick Whittington ?
    Why they will qualify: Nuno Espirito Santo is actually a tactical genius.

In an age where you can setup a conference online from anywhere, i cant believe the clamour for a 20 minute quicker service.
    If i didn't know better, id say there was some multi multi million ££ penalties looming if the scheme wasnt give the green light.
    HS2 isn't going to be some premium service for people who want to save 20 mins, it becomes the route for any inter city journeys and hands existing lines over to local traffic and freight.

Prices could feasibly come down for both as their respective capacities increase with dedicated lines for their differing purposes.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

My name is Geoff...

Local rail will be less limited- that’s the whole point.
    Maybe, but I don’t see it as inevitable that prices will skyrocket.
    It’s a very good job that I just described how that’s not the only appeal of HS2, then. It will benefit anyone who uses the train network, even if you’re not going to London.
    They’d have already pissed loads of money up the wall in any case, but going ahead with HS2 was the only sensible option regardless of costs.

The west coast main line will still start in London and end in Scotland. Youíll still be able to use to get to London on some crappy slow green train if you want. And just like now itíll stop at every tin pot Trent vale station.
    )