Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Boris at it again

Given the reason for the by election being called I don't think you can draw too many conclusions on the Tory vote.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I don't know how Labour do there normally but christ alive that is a poor % they got.

So no Greens or PC to ensure Lib Dems got the vote as well.

It was Lib Dem for years. But labour vote collapsed.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

So Boris is growing the same money tree as Jeremy but giving the tax cuts to middle England rather than the lower earners. He's a sort of an inverted Robin Hood but chuffingly lovely and frolicky with it.

He is just chucking random policies out all through the recess as far as I can see, and with little prospect of any of them actually happening. It's all very Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyDee View Post
    Brexit take 10%, if those were Tory votes they would have won.
    Meanwhile, the Greens and Plaid stepped aside so as not to take Lib Dem votes.

There's a lesson there somewhere...

Where'd this magic money tree appear from? Seems to me there is a daily announcement of further funding to fix things.

Obviously most ignore the fact that the things that need fixing became broken owing to prior tory/conservative cuts in the name of their austerity programme. But I'm amazed that not a single tory seems to be expressing concern about the impact of all this sudden money on the nations balance?
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Where'd this magic money tree appear from? Seems to me there is a daily announcement of further funding to fix things.

Obviously most ignore the fact that the things that need fixing became broken owing to prior tory/conservative cuts in the name of their austerity programme. But I'm amazed that not a single tory seems to be expressing concern about the impact of all this sudden money on the nations balance?
    Maybe because they know it's all bollocks and none of it will ever happen. We're well past the time when anyone gets held to account for what comes out of their mouths.

And it's classic Tory - spend time in government running everything down, breaking everything up, then present yourselves as the solution to the problems you've caused and hope enough people fail to notice or care about the lunacy of the position. Helps to have a largely pliant media.

If you are building up to an extremely imminent election and also to an extremely imminent crash out of Europe that will fuck things up and change all the economics, you can promise the WORLD. It won't happen, but you have the "but bastard Eurocrats" excuse in there to cover your arse when the spending can't happen, but you are safely ensconced in a nice big majority because enough people are taking your promises as gospel.

The media are already falling in with the blame the EU line. It will play very successfully I fear.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Knife Crime? Solved it Mate

Home Office

@ukhomeoffice
    We are rolling out our #KnifeFree chicken boxes in over 210 chicken shops in England and Wales, including Morley’s, Dixy Chicken and Chicken Cottage. They use real life stories to show people how they can go #KnifeFree.

Johnson has not been given any mandate to govern. Gain Independence, the buck then stops at Westminster. These parties then get a chance to outline their vision in terms of the new relationship within Europe, workers rights, human rights, immigration, public services ... absolutely everything.

We are independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    We are independent.
    The European Communities Act, passed by Parliament in 1972, accepted the supremacy of EU law. That principle has also been endorsed by the UK courts

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-law-a...%20UK%20courts.

It is impossible to take anybody talking about gaining independence seriously.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Dan View Post
    It is impossible to take anybody talking about gaining independence seriously.
    To be fair the 'The UK does not wish to be bound by EU directives and regulations' Party would have been slightly convuluted. It's all splitting hairs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    The European Communities Act, passed by Parliament in 1972, accepted the supremacy of EU law. That principle has also been endorsed by the UK courts

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-law-a...%20UK%20courts.
    You missed the end bit off there Papper that says only in the case of conflict in National laws.

It's all the same with Brexiteers. Half the story, misuse of facts and blatant bullshit just dribbles out of their red white and blue nationalistic pores.

It's a dismal state that we live in that these cretins have the loudest voices.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    You missed the end bit off there Papper that says only in the case of conflict in National laws.

It's all the same with Brexiteers. Half the story, misuse of facts and blatant bullshit just dribbles out of their red white and blue nationalistic pores.

It's a dismal state that we live in that these cretins have the loudest voices.

I'm not necessarily a Nationalist Johnny but neither do I automatically see Nationalists as racists, xenophobes or fascists. If anything the desire to overturn a democratic vote in this country is far more authoritarian in nature - especially when it is underpinned by the results of two general elections and a European election. I see the EU as a club that serves corporations rather than people. I tend to favour globalism (in terms of a unifying movement) but it should be centred on the self determination of people and not be corporate lead. We are bound by EU Directives and Regulations until the 1st November. A movement for social justice is better served with the buck stopping at Westminster.

You forgot to admit you left off the most important bit of the quote in your earlier post.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    Fucking disgrace. They'd only just changed it FFS during the coalition. Life expectancy has actually dropped under this govt and the birth rate is at an historic low. None of this matters though as the govt can afford what it wants. The ability to spend will be - as always- based on ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    You forgot to admit you left off the most important bit of the quote in your earlier post.
    When there is conflict between national and EU law then EU Law takes precedence (Primacy). When we leave the union the ECJ will not have primacy and we will not be required to enact EU Directives.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    Fucking disgrace. They'd only just changed it FFS during the coalition. Life expectancy has actually dropped under this govt and the birth rate is at an historic low. None of this matters though as the govt can afford what it wants. The ability to spend will be - as always- based on ideology.
    The growth in population has doubled in the last couple of decades while the majority of work created is low paid and unskilled. If we want public/welfare services to sustain they either cut spending or raise taxes. The money tree option favoured by Jeremy and Boris seems an illusion.

The growth in population has doubled in the last couple of decades while the majority of work created is low paid and unskilled. If we want public/welfare services to sustain they either cut spending or raise taxes. The money tree option favoured by Jeremy and Boris seems an illusion.
    That's not how public spending works. Besides, elderly people require funding either way - unless you kill them off at 65 you're not going to 'save' any money. The reality is the govt can't afford NOT to provide pensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    That's not how public spending works. Besides, elderly people require funding either way - unless you kill them off at 65 you're not going to 'save' any money. The reality is the govt can't afford NOT to provide pensions.
    To an extent I agree but public spending is either funded by taxation, borrowing, privatisations, Q-Easing etc and to be fair successive govts have tried everything and anything and in my opinion much of it is falsifying an economy that is soon to come crashing down like never before. Hey, that's gobal capitalism and consumerism.
    My perspective is that the vulnerable ie pensioners, the sick and children come first before anything else ie weapons, subsidising corporations and high speed rail links that are not needed. Truth is - not one of these parties can effectively cost and meet the demands without impacting on our way of life.

Not all pensioners are vulnerable though - agree that we need to resource services for the low paid whether in work or retired, but not all of the latter need the benefits that they get (money can be distrubuted elsewhere) - I get free prescriptions (fortunately I don't need any for now so not costing anything) & winter fuel payment (this tends to go to charity - not giving it back to the Government as don't trust them to use it sensibly).

Would my life be difficult without either - not really
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Not all pensioners are vulnerable though - agree that we need to resource services for the low paid whether in work or retired, but not all of the latter need the benefits that they get (money can be distrubuted elsewhere) - I get free prescriptions (fortunately I don't need any for now so not costing anything) & winter fuel payment (this tends to go to charity - not giving it back to the Government as don't trust them to use it sensibly).

Would my life be difficult without either - not really
    I'm not for means-testing pensioners given the fuck ups that have occurred in other areas and besides it's a green light for them to do other stuff. No, if you've paid your NIC and taxes you are entitled - it is your right. How you spend it is entirely up to you. I read that they are calling for an over-40's tax to cover social care for the elderly - can't decide whether that's good or bad. Strange days ....

I also pay quite a lot of tax and national insurance, but get my only government provided benefit (child allowance) means tested and removed, so let's means test all the pensioners as far as possible. It's utterly laughable that my extremely well off step dad used to get winter fuel allowance, while we are happy for kids to live in poverty.
    )

I'm not for means-testing pensioners given the fuck ups that have occurred in other areas and besides it's a green light for them to do other stuff. No, if you've paid your NIC and taxes you are entitled - it is your right. How you spend it is entirely up to you. I read that they are calling for an over-40's tax to cover social care for the elderly - can't decide whether that's good or bad. Strange days ....
    Not a fan of means testing, but taking it away & allocating the funds elsewhere within the 'lower paid' element of society is quite possible

HMRC know exactly how much tax (& it's not pennies) I pay & what income I am on - they will be for most others

Not sure that a universal benefit on top of the standard state pension is equitable (I'm still having that with what I paid in over nearly 50 yrs of work)
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe