Thread: On-line publishing paywall subscriptions

On-line publishing paywall subscriptions

I note Tim II's new home The Athletic has launched in the UK with a paywall subscription at 2.50 per month. Save for occasional voluntary contributions I don't currently have any subscriptions to newspapers but do understand why they need to charge. Anyone thinking of signing up?

I've signed up for the first free month to give it a shot.

I signed up on the US site for 3pm - bloody Brexit. The NFL coverage is very good, Timmy has been hiding his skills if he can write at the same level, but tbf it wouldn't really be appropriate for the E&S readership. Dan would have been a very good fit stylistically

I've signed up- always willing to support quality journalism, and if they can deliver on the ethos they bring to their American operations over here, that's precisely what it'll be.

Although Britney isn't in situ yet, there's a decent article about us up already- digging into the notion of the difficult second season with a sports psychologist from Wolvo Uni, and looking a bit at the new talent we're bringing in (seems confident that we're still going for at least one more signing FWIW).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    I signed up on the US site for 3pm - bloody Brexit. The NFL coverage is very good, Timmy has been hiding his skills if he can write at the same level, but tbf it wouldn't really be appropriate for the E&S readership. Dan would have been a very good fit stylistically
    Very kind of you sir...

Tbf there isn't anything stopping the E&S upping the standard of their output. The difference in quality whenever Johnny Phillips writes a piece is marked. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if you keep putting out lowest common denominator rubbish and throw in a few obvious articles that are there to take the most negative/controversial stance possible...well fewer people who are interested in high end journalism will bother reading at all and then I suppose you have less incentive to bother.

I don't think Tim has a natural flair for writing, he's not dreadful and he did improve over his time with the paper (from a low starting point), clearly some people like his vlog/podcast stuff with Nathan Rioja although the tone of it was never for me. But I wish him well.

I did have a brief look at the E&S job out of curiosity more than anything else. Part of the application wanted you to include five ways in which you would improve what they currently do. Get bent, I'm not giving you my ideas for free I don't think I'd have been a very good fit there.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

The article they've got up at the moment about the nitty-gritty of the transfer market is very good indeed.

God, agents are parasites.

I haven't subscribed to this specific thing but just more generally wish people would support good journalism. especially if it's a cheap digital subscription to a place you browse anyway.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    I've signed up for the first free month to give it a shot.
    Same here.