• 8-10

53 64.63%
  • Bottom Half, but staying up

5 6.10%
  • Going Down

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The customary 'where will we finish' thread

I don't think so at all. Plus a draw is a GAIN of one point from the same fixture last season anyway.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I think we drop 2/3 points on Sunday directly because of the Europa League. I am convinced we will drop more points being in it then we would out of it.
    Why though?

I would be utterly, utterly amazed if we finished 7th or higher this season.

We massively over-achieved last season, were fortunate not to pick up any bad injuries and were an unknown quantity for many teams which gave us an edge.

I think it will be tougher this year, I think the league will be tougher and I think we will make the Europa league groups, which will have a detrimental impact on our league performance. 8th - 10th for me.

Obviously would be delighted to be proven wrong, and if last season has taught me anything, it is that this Wolves team can prove all doubters wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

The customary 'where will we finish' thread

I don’t get the outside the top half predictions. If we finish 11th we’ve had a bad season. That would mean someone like Bournemouth has finished above us.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I think we drop 2/3 points on Sunday directly because of the Europa League. I am convinced we will drop more points being in it then we would out of it.
    Given that we aren't going to be anywhere near relegation I don't mind sacrificing a couple of relatively immaterial league places for a serious European run (who knows how far it will go).

Leicester will be a tough game regardless. Doable but they are a good side.

I'm more worried about them than I am United.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Why though?
    Because I assume the entire first team squad are being taken on a 15 hour round trip flight getting back to the UK at around 4am on Friday morning. 7/8 of those who start will then do so at Leicester.

Yes, it'll be a hired plane with comfy seats, but not First Class Dreamliner standard. That is far from ideal preparation against decent opposition who will have spent the whole week at home.

We may have lost anyway - we did last year, but I think the away games in particular are going to have an affect on our league form.

Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    I don’t get the outside the top half predictions. If we finish 11th we’ve had a bad season. That wouldn’t mean someone like Bournemouth has finished above us.
    Massively, i don't get the would take 10th and a decent Europa league run either. That gets us absolutely nowhere at all, either we win the Europa league or we need to finish 7th or above again imo and if we don't it could set us back a little. I know we're ahead of where Fosun expected us to be but we have to go with it now and slipping back 3 or 4 places in the league doesn't work unless we do win the EL. It's obviously not as easy as that but we are more than capable and our improving squad will show that i think.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    10th and win the League Cup will do...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    10th and win the League Cup will do...
    Can we have City's run to the final from last year?

Oxford
    Fulham
    Leicester
    Burton

Twitter
    Facebook

We had the Leicester part of that

I think that we may have over achieved last season and got the luck when we needed it against Newcastle twice, West ham away, a real last minute gift. Those teams in what is the middle league will be better prepared as will the big six and the teams in the bottom 7 will set up not to lose. We are not the surprise package factor this season. I think we will still be hard to beat but may have to accept more draws , home and away. I am not convinced we have enough inventiveness to unlock parked bus type defences yet, and none of us know how the newbies will impact that so it may change. Personally all I want is enough progress to keep the players we have here, happy and content and committed to wolves. That would mean league position improvement, which will be extremely tough or a cup win. In which case I would target the league cup especially if we get in late due to the Europa league. Its 40 years since we won it.
    Remember, remember we are shit in November .

No luck at all in the wins at Newcastle or West Ham. That is insane to say even for you Cyber

The message from the club seems to be that we're aiming to do well in all 4 competitions this season. I have faith that we'll be able to do that. We're fucking class.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

Not having this surprise factor nonsense and that we over achieved, we're a top 7 Premier league team and deserved to get there because we're that good. Plus every man and his dog knew how good we were and knows exactly how we play, these teams don't just rock up and hope they know what we're going to do so i doubt they've been working on some mysterious plan over the summer. If we do what we do and become more clinical in forward areas against teams who do sit in which is plausible then i don't see how we finish any lower than last year.

I see a lot of but what if this happens this season and what if that happens such as more injuries but forget to mention any positives like that we're likely to have a fit and firing Jota for a full season rather than half of one, players like Jota, Neves, Jonny, Dendoncker, Vinagre and Coady will only get better, Patricio looks better now than he was at the start of last season, we've added 2 fantastic young internationals in Vallejo and Cutrone and the attitude of the whole squad and the staff is a massive plus.

I understand there are issues such as Europe and in particular travel but we have a very fit squad who has i've said are embracing it rather than looking at it as a distraction and that will be a massively help mentally. Personally i don't think it will be an issue and i'm backing Nuno and the squad to get it right. I would like another signing in the position we seem to be looking but don't think Lemina is the one and if we don't i think we have enough as there's no point having players around who aren't going to play.

Don't get this "supnrise package " stuff. We're championship games not televised?
    My name is Geoff...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyDee View Post
    Don't get this "supnrise package " stuff. We're championship games not televised?
    No one in the Prem watches any other teams....add to the mystery*

*West Ham actually do this based on how they performed at Molineux

We were a surprise package to the London media who only pay attention to the Sky 6 and West Ham. Wouldn't have been to the teams we played though

We certainly weren’t a surprise package come November. And we were better after then than any time.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Yeah, that bit doesn't apply. If you can work out how we play you do it in March and April, you don't think "well, we'll have them next season, we'll sort out a plan".

United played us twice inside three weeks and allowed us to do the exact same thing both times, which was nice.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    No luck at all in the wins at Newcastle or West Ham. That is insane to say even for you Cyber
    Really? Last minute gift given to the fastest player in the league, last minute winner that should have been kept out by the keeper and last minute equaliser thanks to more Dodgy keeping for Bolys header?

I sometimes wonder if we watch the same games.

Wasn't a gift to Adama. Sanchez messed up for sure but Leo had plenty to do to lay that pass on.

And we were the better team anyway, by some way.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Really? Last minute gift given to the fastest player in the league, last minute winner that should have been kept out by the keeper and last minute equaliser thanks to more Dodgy keeping for Bolys header?

West Ham away. We pressed in the 92nd min and won the ball back. No luck we earned it

Newcastle away, Jota beat 3 or 4 players keeper saved and our RWB had ran the length of the pitch to put the rebound away in the last min. No luck, we fought for it and earned it.

Newcastle at home is just a football thing. Call it luck or whatever you want but the other 2 are anything but luck.

Jiminez was not playing, Patricio was not playing , Jonny was not playing Moutinho was not playing. Post November they all had real impact. Doherty never scored 8 goals before either. You could watch the championship games ten times over and learn very little about us that would help you now.

Yes, we had a surprise factor different to when we won the championship. Different style 352 different players.

We had loads of chances vs Toon at home too. I wasn't that happy with how we played coming out of the ground (doubtless moaned about it in the pub after too) but when I watched the highlights the next morning we should have won quite easily.

If you're saying we benefited from crappy goalkeeping then what on earth was their goal all about?!

Twitter
    Facebook

Wasn't a gift, excellent pressing and it was a very good pass and finish from Leo and Adama. We were the better team at St James's Park and if our goal at Molineux was lucky then so was there's as it was a clear error from Rui. It's not luck imo and games last 96ish minutes, it's not lucky just because you manage to score in the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Wasn't a gift, excellent pressing and it was a very good pass and finish from Leo and Adama. We were the better team at St James's Park and if our goal at Molineux was lucky then so was there's as it was a clear error from Rui. It's not luck imo and games last 96ish minutes, it's not lucky just because you manage to score in the last minute.
    OK. I am not counting on that this year though. So I will go cautious and be happily proved wrong.

You need to change your view on lucky.

I say base future claims on lucky goals if they match the Shrewsbury goal at Molineux. A crap shot that is going wide and rolling into the keeper goes in.

Last minute goals aren't luck. They are a sign of playing to the final whistle, and of being the better and fitter team. Fergie-time goals weren't luck for Manchester United. They could still push on in the 95th-96th-97th minute and often got rewarded.

Same strangely with Norwich last year at a lower standard. Late goals are the result of hard work and fitness, not divine intervention.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

"We over achieved last season"

"We under achieved against the teams down the bottom"

I'm confused... Did we under or over achieve?
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

OK. I am not counting on that this year though. So I will go cautious and be happily proved wrong.
    Fair enough but it's just nonsense imo because it always seems to be against us. What about decisions that went against us last year, apart from the Boly handball i can't think of many that went for us but i can think of at least 5 or 6 penalty decisions that were blatantly wrong last year. Should have had penalties at Fulham and Brighton, Bournemouth got an absolute shocker of a pen and how we didn't get one for handball i have no idea, we won but Jota at Watford. look at other things like the possible foul on Rui in the Cardiff game, Doc's offside goal jsut before half time at home against Spurs.
    I'm counting on us getting all those decisions this year so top 4 is on surely.