Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How far do you live from Molineux?

How far do you live from Molineux?

This is mostly aimed at those who live in England proper but all others are willing to pitch in for funsies.

I often find myself wondering how relative a "long travel" day is for many in the UK. 45 minutes? An hour? As such, I'm curious how long it takes most of you to get to Molineux on any given matchday, and how long of a commute an away day has to be for you to rule it out completely.

Distance is one thing, but specifically I'm curious about commute time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo„o Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

On match day, 8 minutes on the train, half hour to an hour in the car. 11 mile in distance.

I live in Derby (45m) which by train takes between 1h20 - 1h30.

When I lived in Lincoln (101m) it was 2h45 - 3h.

I don't drive yet so I'm at the mercy of trains, missing tomorrow because of the Cross-Country train strikes. Massively reduced service with insanely over crowded trains, I'll pass.

James is offline The Poster Equivalent of Bolton Wanderers
    I live on the Fylde Coast so all being well around J21A of the M6 roughly 2hr 15 drive. 116 miles away roughly

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    On match day, 8 minutes on the train, half hour to an hour in the car. 11 mile in distance.
    That's a pretty wild variance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo„o Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

3 hour drive for me without traffic, often ends up being more. Have always traditionally gone to more away games than home for obvious reasons but thatís changed now getting away tickets isnít a possibility anymore. How far Iíd be willing to travel away would depend on the game and current funds.

I’m about 4m away. Takes about half an hour on the bus then walk to the ground. Usually two or three hours in the pub separating that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

I live 2.5miles from molineux. Traffics bad but I tend to walk most of it.

No barrier on away days, nothingís that far from us in the league. Didnít go to midweek ones unless they are sub 2 hour drive as need time off work, although the way the loyalty points are these days Iíll go if any get moved to a Tuesday
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

6.8 miles and lots of crawling traffic
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

South of Cambridge. Its about 95 miles on two of the worst roads the A14 and the M1 hence why I drive to Milton Keynes and then take the train. Its about 20 quid plus a tenners parking and 70 miles return to MK and back.
    Remember, remember we are shit in November .

About 3 1/2 hours by train. As with Pompey Wolf have more often gone to away games, London-ish, but not really an option now.
    My name is Geoff...

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    According to maps 113 miles away. As with Billy tend to try to do southern games - but try and go to as many home games as possible

5.4 miles to the pub and a 10 minute walk to the ground.

About a 20 minute drive to the car park I use, which is probably about 4.8ish miles.

147 miles or 4 hrs on a train (though the drive up to M4/M5 can take just as long) - it's my penance for supporting the best team
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

13 miles away. 30 min drive if no traffic, can be a lot longer if I'm rushing for a mid week night game

An hour, pretty much exactly.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's a pretty wild variance!
    Yep, traffic can be terrible coming from north of Wolverhampton. Not sure what theyíll do when we have 45k capacity.

Just short of 60 miles, probably hour and fifteen minutes drive on a clear run, would add another 15 minutes or so for match day traffic.

Wouldn't bother with the journey if it was just to take in the game and then come straight home, be more time travelling than at the game, but the Europa League games worked out nicely for me so far. Travel down after work Thursday, crash at parents 15 minutes or so away before my Friday morning visit to site that's about half an hour away and then get to drive back up to work/home in some cushy midday Friday traffic.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

14.9 miles, 30 minutes by car, 20 minutes by train.
    As for those travelling long distances I sympathise use to do it from Scotland and then considered myself nearby when I was posted to Oxfordshire in my RAF days.

So far I am winning 'the how far are you away' challenge, but someone will come in to beat that at some point (has to be within the UK to count - Lycan would have if he hadn't moved, but he has)
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    Yep, traffic can be terrible coming from north of Wolverhampton. Not sure what theyíll do when we have 45k capacity.
    Now they've closed a lane of the ring road as it filters on to Waterloo Street, that can be a nightmare on a Sat afternoon.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    So far I am winning 'the how far are you away' challenge, but someone will come in to beat that at some point (has to be within the UK to count - Lycan would have if he hadn't moved, but he has)
    Have to debate with Parkin as to which of us is further away, guess probably him by a couple of hundred yards (he lives the other end of town, though we don't really have an awful lot of town).

As he said, 3 1/2 hours by car, 4 to 4 1/2 hours by train. Would be quicker but have to travel 60 miles east before going north, only Cross country services going north, stop everywhere. Makes a 90 minute football match into a 14/15 hour day.

About 5 miles,takes 25 minutes cycling along the canal,avoiding drunks,and drug deals under bridges on the way,off the towpath and over the bridge at the waste disposal centre,up a road,past the mosque,past the university and the delights of molineux are there.
    Haven't been to a match this century though due to living in different countries Until recently,I keep meaning to visit the royal London before a match,but I'm a bit scared tbh
    Last edited by Keef; 24th August 2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: To make a bit more sense
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Used to live just outside W-ton, and matchday was 10 minute drive plus 10 minute walk. Very different to San Antonio - nobody walks anywhere and I can drive 40 miles south or west without leaving the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    About 5 miles,takes 25 minutes cycling along the canal,avoiding drunks,and drug deals under bridges on the way,off the towpath and over the bridge at the waste disposal centre,up a road,past the mosque,past the university and the delights of molineux are there.
    Haven't been to a match this century though,was living in different countries before now though,I keep meaning to visit the royal London before a match,but I'm a bit scared tbh
    Been there too mucka, but they are a decent bunch in reality!
    Remember, remember we are shit in November .

Yea,they don't bother me,I say alright to them,they move out the way,not pleasant if you've got kids though

118 miles away.

Journey time varies depending on the speed of my train from London to Wolverhampton. Some stop a lot along the way, some only stop 3 or 4 times.

Door to door tomorrow will be about 2h45m each way, but when I go to evening games, the trains take a lot longer (especially the last one back, when I get home at about 2am) and it can be more like 3h30m each way.

I know these distances seem like nothing in North American terms, but if you travel 100 miles anywhere in the England, you will go past a considerable number of PL and Championship grounds on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Yea,they don't bother me,I say alright to them,they move out the way,not pleasant if you've got kids though
    Pretty sure Cyber was talking about us lot rather than the drunks and drug dealers..

Dunno tbh,did make it sound like he'd been doing deals or drinking under bridges in the past,vague answer all round by the cyber man

Coming from Bridgnorth it's about half an hour drive, or 45 mins to an hour if I get the bus.

Most of the time I live in Liverpool though and Lime Street to Wolverhampton is around an 80 minute train journey.