Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2575

Thread: January 2020 transfer window

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    That's not my job. I'm not in football recruitment and have a Nashlike knowledge of football beyond England so much as I get your point it's not really relevant.

The way I see it we needed a sticking plaster solution until someone from the U23s is ready to take that role themselves. Ennis and BAS are on loan to League 1 and I doubt either will ever get to that level, Campana isn't suggested to be ready for that yet so probably an older guy for 6-18 months to do the kind of job Bennett has signed up for at Leicester. Nobody who is going to make the pulse race, but someone who can do a budget version of what Raul does without having to change the formation
    On the sticking plaster thing... letís say we sign Oliveira and Raul did get injured like everyone keeps suggesting - who would you rather up top in our system, him or Jota? Itís Diogo for me.

Leicester signed Bennett so they could loan out Benkovic right? I donít think it was the same situation

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Law's Bus View Post
    Top quality personal insult there.

Note for future: when getting pulled up on an inaccurate drama llama whine, then reach straight for the personal insults rather than arguing your case or admitting that you're wrong.

You said "bought". That's when players were bought, like it or not.
    personal insult?!

OK if not moxey, we'll say bojo. It's exactly the same nonsense logic of his 50,000 more nurses including 19,000 that are already here.

If I word it "in three windows we have only brought in one 'first team ready' senior player that wasn't here in 18/19", is that better for you?
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

It wasn't a spectacular window, for sure, but it certainly gives the impression to me of a team that is building solidly. Which IIRC is exactly how they said they were going to approach competing in the PL? Sure, we all want the shiny, flashy new toys that we see advertised on the TV, what we got instead were a few boxes of Lego that are gonna last fucking ages.
    The poster formerly known as...

The objective was to improve the quality that was already here. We did do that with Podence v Cutrone? Jury may be out but I am happy to cencede that as an upgrade. Campania isn't getting my excitement levels racing yet. In time maybe.

Do we still have the least depth in the top half?
    Probably now Sheff united have gone money loopy.
    Do we have adequate Raul cover? No we don't. I can't remember Jota coming on for Raul as a like for like sub. Maybe its happened? I don't see Jota as a Raul back up they are different players with different strengths.
    Those touting BAS as a back up have been quite rightly shown that he isn't ready.

Nobody said its easy, it isn't. But I look at our squad and it is not screaming top 4.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Thanks for that, Darlo. I actually thought the part with Thelwell was quite good. Thought KT was effectively saying, "This is your position. Go out there and make it your own." And you could see Luke take it in, understanding immediately what his role would be.
    Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Those touting BAS as a back up have been quite rightly shown that he isn't ready.

Has anyone done that?

From the loan movements yesterday, all we can take from it is Nuno thinks Campana is ready to step up to the bench. We will actually see if he thinks that over the next 2 or 3 games

Why do we have to play the same way if Raul goes off, is tactical tweaking not a thing any more? Why do we have to have a Ďdirect like for likeí replacement? For two and a half seasons now Nuno and his team have done us more than proud but because we havenít bought a bench warmer whoíd only play a few minutes here or there weíre useless?

So last window we bought Neto (first team player since August), Cutrone (obviously had plans for him but we canít control his head) and Podence. Nearly £50m there on three players who were clearly intended to be part of the first team. How the fuck does that equate to one first team player brought in in the last three windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

I'm getting so bored of the constant 'sky is falling' about our squad

This is our strategy, we WILL have a small squad and we WILL have players who cover multiple positions. We will have a squad of first teamers supplemented by u23s

We'll do the same in the summer, we'll let players go and we'll get some in and folk will still be banging the drum about a small squad.

Just accept that this is how things will be and it's beyond our control to do anything about it

Itís not just a back up for Raul though, Nuno literally never takes him off let alone rests him from the start. Cutrone was a perfectly adequate player to come on in games or start the odd one and he didnít get a look in. So youíre literally trying to sign a player who is a) good and b) never going to get on the pitch unless Raul gets injured.

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    If we were genuinely serious about challenging for a champions league posn then it was a bad window. As we weren’t and we focused on investment for the future it was pretty good.
    The twitter massive are still of the opinion we can outspend everyone as in the champ.
    From a lot of what's being said, and what's being expected , I can only assume that a lot of people were asleep when Fosun took over and have never listened to a word Jeff Shi has said.

We are not now, and probably not ever going to be a world record transfer fee breaking club, because we do not believe that is the way to financial success. We are not going to buy Gareth Bale to try and get in the Champions League, we are not going to buy 90 million pound ready made, 25 caps at International level strikers to replace Raul in winter transfer windows. You do not buy financial success buying success on the pitch.

But whilst we may not signing many Zlatan's, we may be mining diamonds, like Luke Matheson who is not your average 17 year old kid and could well turn out to be one of the best signings of this window.

The number of people who have lost patience with Fosun, because that is what I am reading, after already, ahead of schedule turning us into a top 6 side, getting us into a European KO stage competition and creating a side littered with the kind of players we could once only dream of turning out in Old Gold is astonishing.

I think I put my new years wish down as hoping Nuno , the players and the board would continue to get full support from everyone. 1st of Feb and that's clearly out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    On the sticking plaster thing... letís say we sign Oliveira and Raul did get injured like everyone keeps suggesting - who would you rather up top in our system, him or Jota? Itís Diogo for me.

Leicester signed Bennett so they could loan out Benkovic right? I donít think it was the same situation
    On the first point, I'd rather have someone who will link play in the way Raul does, I don't see Jota as doing that role. So I'd prefer it to be someone else, although I appreciate that person needs to be competent.

On the second I meant from the players perspective, Bennett has gone to Leicester fully aware that he is there to bench sit and cover for injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    On the first point, I'd rather have someone who will link play in the way Raul does, I don't see Jota as doing that role. So I'd prefer it to be someone else, although I appreciate that person needs to be competent.

On the second I meant from the players perspective, Bennett has gone to Leicester fully aware that he is there to bench sit and cover for injuries.
    If Raul is not there & Jota plays centre instead then it will change as the 2 players are not identical.

Nothing wrong in that - we just need to adapt, though that gives the opposition a different challenge as well. I would rather we didn't bring in a makeweight just to keep fans happy who really isn't that good.

We still have the best team almost all of us have seen - challenging for the top 6 is v difficult in the current era. Does anyone really believe that we could do that in our second PL season whilst also coping with the Europa League (& going further in that than other teams finishing in our position have managed in recent years).
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Although I was – and remain – critical of the recruitment of Cutrone and Vallejo – I think this has been a good window. As has been said above, we are in the process of building steadily. I simply can’t see us suddenly splurging £50-70m on a player. Although he wasn’t speaking directly about Wolves, Guo Guangchang’s speech at Davos was exactly on these lines: steady growth and value for money.
    We’ve spent around £2.5m on Enzo, Campana and the boy Luke – the chances are that at least one of them will go onto become a first team player. I’ll have a friendly fiver with someone now that Luke Matheson will be Wolves next full England international.
    Matheson – like Podence – seems to be a “Wolves type player.” It was a point Guillem Balague made when he was discussing Podence. Nuno doesn’t just want good footballers, he wants good people.
    Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57

Not sure that the Cutrone signing was completely wrong - had some attributes when he came & would have improved with Nuno's help.

Didn't work out for other reasons so right to cut our loss. Vallejo was only ever a makeweight for cover & wasn't suited - all buying systems make mistakes.

GLASGOWOLF is offline Not English you say? Got my eyes on you then
    What's wrong with having the option of Jota, as a forward. A forward line of Jota, Traore, and Podence would make a fluid Rapid interchangeable and different to every forward line in the league, the exception being Liverpool they have tge same fluid front 3 but on a level above ours.

There is NOTHING wrong with that!
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

When we were playing 3-5-2 Jota was playing as a 2nd forwards any way.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by GLASGOWOLF View Post
    What's wrong with having the option of Jota, as a forward. A forward line of Jota, Traore, and Podence would make a fluid Rapid interchangeable and different to every forward line in the league, the exception being Liverpool they have tge same fluid front 3 but on a level above ours.
    Becomes a problem if you're battering a team with Jimenez playing in the middle of your front three and he gets injured, the alternative might not pose anything like the same trouble to your opponent. It's nice to have options to change things up but at the same time there are situations where you need to be able to maintain more continuity in spite of the substitutions.

You're not going to go out and get a direct replacement for arguably your best/most important player, hardly any club in the world has that option available, but you want to give yourself a least the option to try and maintain the status quo when a change may be forced upon you. When City signed Jesus as their backup to Aguero there wasn't any widespread amazement that they'd now got two of the best forwards in the league queuing up behind one another, Jesus is very much the understudy but he's got potential to grow and maybe take over from Aguero when his time is up, he's still good enough to play a few games here and there to give the main man a rest but no-one can be thinking he's as good as the real thing. Maybe Campana turns out to be that lesser light who can fill in for the time being with a view to growing into a longer term replacement, it's a big jump from Ecuadorian football to the Premier League though.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

The reason I have hope, even if Raul is not there, is that with Traore,Jota, Neto and hopefully Podence (as we have not seen him yet) this is the quickest front line any will have seen - it will be there before any defence has the chance to reset.

There are those in that 4 who can finish the move.

We've been crap in the last 3 windows? NO

In that period we've pushed on to secure a place in Europe, now with 14 games left we are in a realistic chance of top 6
    an optimistic chance of top 4.

It seems to me we have pretty damn good players already, we need depth and apart from CF we have that. As said we have
    other options Jota in the middle.

Excited by the Matheson signing
    Pure conjecture but that video deliverred a kick up the arse to Doc and it was not an accident
    We will get 50pts (I worked it out on my computer) W13 D11 L14

Reckon this forum should send someone to watch Donny Rovers vs Rochdale next weekend. Time we developed our own scouting network

My cousin is a Donny Rovers STH. I may have to ask him for his views on Matheson.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Nice interview here with the boy Luke https://twitter.com/officiallydale/s...33832593788929

Every interview he comes across as a pleasant level headed lad, good on him
    I have 2 friends

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale