Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 104

Thread: Underrated players

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Cracking side that was. Southall, Stevens, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Bailey(?), Steven, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp Gray. Can't think of the other midfielder.
    Van Den Hauwe at LB surely?

    Paul Bracewell centre mid
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Cracking side that was. Southall, Stevens, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Bailey(?), Steven, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp Gray. Can't think of the other midfielder.
    Bailey then VDH. Bracewell was the other CM. Adrian Heath instead of Gray on occasion. Backed up by the likes of Richardson, Harper and Snodin

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Bailey then VDH. Bracewell was the other CM. Adrian Heath instead of Gray on occasion. Backed up by the likes of Richardson, Harper and Snodin
    Wayne Clarke too!
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    He was a proper decent footballer. Yes, he used to deliberately play the hardman and there's no defending some of his play - but he could pass a ball short or long, good finisher when called upon, could fill in at centre half, had a degree of footballing intelligence about him.

    Leeds had a seriously good team at the time and their fans adored him.

    Not making him out to be a magician but the consensus generally was that he was just a thug, like some roughneck you'd drag off the street and stick in a shirt. No, he was a good player as well as someone who did undoubtedly go too far sometimes.

    Hence underrated.
    Fully agree with this Dan.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    Yes you are right. Bailey I think was the reserve. Bracewell was at Sunderland I think afterwards after serious injuries wrecked his career.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    When did McAllister join Leeds. Was it after we beat them in their Division One winning season?

    Kamara played in that side didn't he?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Bracewell was good for Newcastle in the early Keegan years.

    Sunderland was at the end I think. Was in the "Premier Passions" doco with Peter Reid which would have been 96/97.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    When did McAllister join Leeds. Was it after we beat them in their Division One winning season?

    Kamara played in that side didn't he?
    Gary Mac went to Leeds in 1990.

    Batty and Speed both breaking through at the same time, Strachan still tremendous.

    A really good team and yet their fans will still never hear a bad word against Vinnie. If he were crap then he'd have stuck out like a sore thumb.

    Yes, Kamara was there, a thorn between the roses
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Bracewell was good for Newcastle in the early Keegan years.

    Sunderland was at the end I think. Was in the "Premier Passions" doco with Peter Reid which would have been 96/97.
    Im sure he was at Sunderland in the Gabbiadini days. One of my mates was a Sunderland fan I used to go to a few local games with him.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Just checked - he went Sunderland -> Newcastle -> Sunderland.

    Pretty rare!
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    Three spells at Sunderland including 1989 to 1992 and then 1995 to 1997.

    Injuries weren't that bad as he made 500 odd senior appearances! He missed out on the 86 world cup squad with a broken leg

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Shifnal
    Posts
    8,829
    Ian Wright was a brilliant goal scorer even before getting to Arsenal him and Bright racked up a shed load of goals at Palace.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Mark Wright was underrated. Seriously good on the ball. Didn't play nearly enough for England.

    He is a massive racist though, so I won't shed any tears for him.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Norman Whiteside's peak was slightly before my time. Those who were around - was he as good as people make out or just a bit of a myth?

    Remember him briefly for United and at Everton but I was still very young then.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Pat Nevin

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Pat Nevin
    Great shout.

    Superb taste in music too.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Joey Beachamp - far too good to be at Oxford but unfortunately didn't have the mentality to play at a higher level

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    29,488
    Carrick was my immediate thought. Brilliant player yet forever overlooked.

    Lauren was a remarkably good full back at his best in that magnificent Arsenal team.

    Beckham is overlooked as a result of his celebrity status. He was an absolute world beater from 98-03 at United. His stats are absolutely outrageous.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    13,279
    Des Walker. Fantastic player, largely forgotten now.
    )

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Carrick was my immediate thought. Brilliant player yet forever overlooked.

    Lauren was a remarkably good full back at his best in that magnificent Arsenal team.

    Beckham is overlooked as a result of his celebrity status. He was an absolute world beater from 98-03 at United. His stats are absolutely outrageous.
    I'd add Ray Parlour in if we're having Lauren.

    Never glamorous but he was good enough for Wenger as he put the team through two or three iterations. One of the great cup final goals too.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Norman Whiteside's peak was slightly before my time. Those who were around - was he as good as people make out or just a bit of a myth?

    Remember him briefly for United and at Everton but I was still very young then.
    Not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong he was good but he was built like a brick shit house and could cope with the physical demands of the game then. Being so young meant that he got the plaudits which may not have been the case so much if his career started to take off in his 20's.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    13,279
    Parlour falls into Paddy's talkshite bracket now.

    If we are looking at good arsenal players it's got to be Ljungberg.
    )

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Parlour falls into Paddy's talkshite bracket now.

    If we are looking at good arsenal players it's got to be Ljungberg.
    I liked Freddie too.

    That was a special team, though if you just attack down one side with Cole, Pires and Henry you're bound to be good. Pity any RB against them in that era.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    13,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I liked Freddie too.

    That was a special team, though if you just attack down one side with Cole, Pires and Henry you're bound to be good. Pity any RB against them in that era.
    Freddie was possibly the coolest footballer around then. Loved watching that Arsenal team, such a shame that Wenger tarnished his legacy with years of pap.
    )

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Norman Whiteside's peak was slightly before my time. Those who were around - was he as good as people make out or just a bit of a myth?

    Remember him briefly for United and at Everton but I was still very young then.
    Whiteside had talent but his playing at 17 in a World Cup and being at United made his profile bigger than his ability. Ultimately done by injuries and pissing it up a wall with Robson and McGrath

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Freddie was possibly the coolest footballer around then. Loved watching that Arsenal team, such a shame that Wenger tarnished his legacy with years of pap.
    Probably my favourite PL era (always helps if you're early 20s and always going to watch games in pubs, like). A serious battle between a couple of seriously great teams with huge personalities.

    I like City and Liverpool now on a footballing level. In different ways. But it's not quite as virile as it was then.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong he was good but he was built like a brick shit house and could cope with the physical demands of the game then. Being so young meant that he got the plaudits which may not have been the case so much if his career started to take off in his 20's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Whiteside had talent but his playing at 17 in a World Cup and being at United made his profile bigger than his ability. Ultimately done by injuries and pissing it up a wall with Robson and McGrath
    Cheers lads.

    When I was at uni, one of the pubs in town would regularly have a billboard outside - 12.30 on Saturday - come and have a drink with Norman and Paul.

    Robbo was busy elsewhere, obviously, being a really shit manager. (I missed his peak too but he was still good when I started watching)
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    I think Roy Keane was underrated as a footballer because he's a huge physcopath

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    I think Roy Keane was underrated as a footballer because he's a huge physcopath
    If you want 10,000 words on what an INCREDIBLE player Roy Keane was, you tip me the nod.

    He was amazing.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    13,279
    Stan Collymore. I know he's a dick and that, but on his day he was unstoppable. Largely wasted his career sadly.
    )

Similar Threads

  1. Top 10 Underrated Guitar Players
    By sycophantia in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 15th July 2019, 06:41 PM
  2. Underrated Wolves players
    By Deutsch Wolf in forum Wolves
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 9th March 2013, 02:36 PM
  3. Underrated games
    By loonsewolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 18th February 2011, 03:00 PM
  4. Underrated Albums
    By Langers in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10th December 2010, 04:25 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •