Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underrated players

Robson was fantastic at his peak in the early to mid eighties. That United side had serious talent but couldn't touch Liverpool and then Everton in the league over the course of a season but could match them in matches againsteach other.

Always used to get MOTM in televised games. It was the law back then.

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Stan Collymore. I know he's a dick and that, but on his day he was unstoppable. Largely wasted his career sadly.
    Should have been a beast for years. He had absolutely everything.

I really thought Villa would have been the making of him but he obviously wasn't a well man at the time.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Gary Neville used to get pelters back in the day but he's the best modern times England right back

Use to like Alan Smith (Arsenal, Leicester) not the most aesthetically looking type of player but averaged about 1 in less than 3 games and scored in big games to ie Anfield 89 and Cup winners cup final in 94 against a very talented Parma.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Should have been a beast for years. He had absolutely everything.

I really thought Villa would have been the making of him but he obviously wasn't a well man at the time.
    He went to Liverpool at the wrong time I think, anywhere else and he would have been one of rhe best players England have ever had. At least he seems to have sorted himself out and doing his best now.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Gary Neville used to get pelters back in the day but he's the best modern times England right back
    That was the ABU era as they won everything all the bloody time, and he was an easy target as he was a narky prick.

He was a fantastic right back.

I've said it more than once on here, but when we set up with:

Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole

We didn't concede a single goal at the 2006 World Cup. That was a back four on a par with the famed late 80s Milan/Italy line up. Ridiculously good.

Twitter
    Facebook

Stan Collymore. I know he's a dick and that, but on his day he was unstoppable. Largely wasted his career sadly.
    He should've been the best striker on the planet, he had everything.

I think Sid Cowans is underrated, he ran the game when he was at Villa. I'd put Petit in that bracket too, a superb foil to Viera and no slouch with the ball.

Le Tessier is massively understated, Pep would've built his team round him if he was playing now.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

I'd add Ray Parlour in if we're having Lauren.

Never glamorous but he was good enough for Wenger as he put the team through two or three iterations. One of the great cup final goals too.
    Yep, never let them down. Darren Fletcher of a similar nature in that regard.

Loved Ljungberg, he was my favourite player at that time after Becks in England, hence me not mentioning him. Crazy how Wenger ended up with such a spineless team after his early endeavours.

Raul? Phenemonal player but missed the Spanish golden generation and his goal scoring record has been made to look average by Cristiano's exploits.

He went to Liverpool at the wrong time I think, anywhere else and he would have been one of rhe best players England have ever had. At least he seems to have sorted himself out and doing his best now.
    Absolutely, wrong club.

a) Uncle Roy wasn't the man to reign him in
    b) You're competing with club legend Rushie and golden boy Robbie (who really was golden, he was unreal around then). Three into two doesn't go

When we played Forest in both 1993 and 1994 I don't think I'd ever seen such a physical specimen of a forward. Our defenders (and the likes of Mark Venus are no shrinking violets) were just bouncing off him. Such skill too.

Should have been great, but you can't help your health, can you.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I think Sid Cowans is underrated
    What a shout that is.

Adored him down here.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    He should've been the best striker on the planet, he had everything.

I think Sid Cowans is underrated, he ran the game when he was at Villa. I'd put Petit in that bracket too, a superb foil to Viera and no slouch with the ball.

Le Tessier is massively understated, Pep would've built his team round him if he was playing now.
    Le Tissier could have been the best in the world if he'd applied himself a bit more. He had all the talent you could ever hope for but zero application.

Its his choice and he had a fine career but I always wonder what could have been if he'd dedicated himself as much as modern ronaldo does.

A ripped, fit, beastly Le Tissier would have been one of the world's greatest ever

I think Joao Mountino deserves a mention in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    A ripped, fit, beastly Le Tissier would have been one of the world's greatest ever
    Problem is you can't do this.

If you get rid of my MH issues then I've written 10 brilliant Wolves books over the last 20 years. But I do have them...it's part of who I am...so here were are on 0.

Le Tiss wanted to stay where he was comfortable, he loved his lifestyle and that made him the player he was. I would never knock anyone for that.

People aren't machines.

Twitter
    Facebook

Absolutely, wrong club.

a) Uncle Roy wasn't the man to reign him in
    b) You're competing with club legend Rushie and golden boy Robbie (who really was golden, he was unreal around then). Three into two doesn't go

When we played Forest in both 1993 and 1994 I don't think I'd ever seen such a physical specimen of a forward. Our defenders (and the likes of Mark Venus are no shrinking violets) were just bouncing off him. Such skill too.

Should have been great, but you can't help your health, can you.
    Although mentioned above for other reasons, Veno actually deserves a mention in this thread. Not world or international class, but seriously underated as an ex-Wolf. 300+ appearances before going on to play for five or six years at Ipswich.

Big time.

We actually gave Ipswich Veno AND money for Sedgley. Christ.

Twitter
    Facebook

We made so many poor choices [see Atkins, Mark] around that time, in an era where Sir Jacks money and the right decisions could have made us pretenders. You could even start to understand why he withdrew his financial support for a period (although he did it at just the wrong time).

I used to love watching Craig Johnston, he covered some fucking ground, was proper entertaining and could finish. Never hear much about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

A few times I've seen players 'live' who I hadn't appreciated were as good as they were when watching previously on TV or from a distance. So they may have been appreciated by others, but were underrated by me until seeing them in the flesh.

Stapleton and Wilkins played for Wolves in one of John Richards testimonial games. Gave everything in a game of no importance and were head and shoulders above everyone else.

Michael Laudrup, with Rideout and Cowans in the Bari side, at Juventus when on holiday in Turin. Just after Heysel I think and also had to avoid being openly English [me not them].

Hoddle and Hateley for Monaco about the same time. No idea who he was at the time, but their manager turned out to have a half decent career as well.

Nigel Clough paying for Forest at Arsenal the year Arsenal won the title. Ran the show, won 4-1 or 4-0. Stood on the Highbury North Bank as I'd been to Southend [I think the night Shane Westley marked Bully and got himself a move to Wolves] the night before and stayed over at a mates in London.

...Nathan Blake...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    I used to love watching Craig Johnston, he covered some fucking ground, was proper entertaining and could finish. Never hear much about him.
    From a similar era, John Wark. A fabulous goalscoring record for a midfielder at Ipswich and then went on to be a success at Liverpool in their heyday.

Underrated players!
    start in goal. Paul Cooper, Ipswich. Five ft nine with a great penalty record.
    Alan Sunderland. Both for us and Arsenal.
    Steve Perryman. Great defender.
    Duncan McKenzie , had the lot.
    Frank Worthington

Moving forward a bit Chris Woods in goal, Dion Dublin up front, injury crocked him, Geoff Thomas, Lee Sharpe, wasted, Kieron Dyer another one, I have tried to think of the more obscure.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

Moussa Dembele.

Remember him playing at Molineux for Fulham when I still had a season ticket and he was untouchable. Generally didn't look a huge goal threat when he played up top but such a classy player and a tank with it.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Big time.

We actually gave Ipswich Veno AND money for Sedgley. Christ.
    Venus was one of my lads earliest fav players, he was comfy at LB, CB or in midfield, decent defender and a lovely left foot
    FJRWolf

Who were the Dutch players Ipswich had? Muhren and a couple of others I think. Such a shame Villa beat them to the title.

Edit - just 2 Dutchmen - Muhren and Thijssen. Their whole team were good - even Alan Brazil!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    From a similar era, John Wark. A fabulous goalscoring record for a midfielder at Ipswich and then went on to be a success at Liverpool in their heyday.
    Also did well against the Nazis, although Pele, Caine and Stallone stole the credit...
    My name is Geoff...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisons Wrong Foot View Post
    Who were the Dutch players Ipswich had? Muhren and a couple of others I think. Such a shame Villa beat them to the title.
    Frans Thijssen, Romeo Zondervan

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisons Wrong Foot View Post
    Franz Thyssen? Excuse the spelling. Clive Woods on the wing was pretty good too as was Trevor Whymark. Going back even further Kevin Keelan Norwich keeper was excellent. Ken Burns at forest. Clive Allen. I hate to say it but that cunt Kevin Philips deserves a mention too. Chris Sutton at Blackburn, Stan Bowles at QPR , Steve Archibald at spurs, Birtles at forest, Christ when you think about it there are plenty who should have gone on to great things but for whatever reason, didn't.

Birtles can get tae fuck.

Twitter
    Facebook

Birtles first time round at Forest was decent in the way that Clough made players decent. Local lad, plucked from nowhere, put in a team that won the European Cup. Then did that 80s thing of going to a bigger club and suffocating. Brazil and Davenport did the same at Utd. Ironically happened to Wallace and Fashanu at Forest

Birtles can get tae fuck.
    71 goals in 212 games for forest and they were good at the time. He should have gone on to bigger and better things but failed at Man Utd and then got shipped into oblivion at Notts County after his second forest spell.