Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

Word from the Premier League on the Son sending off. In a statement released a moment ago, they say: “The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.”

Gomes falling like that wasn't because of the challenge though. It's a foul, probably a yellow as he didn't really try to play the ball, but not one that would ordinarily cause a serious injury.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Word from the Premier League on the Son sending off. In a statement released a moment ago, they say: “The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge.”
    Utter bollocks. That now means any challenge can be deemed as endangering the safety of the player. It was a freak incident after the Son challenge but everyone reacted to the injury rather than what had happened.

Fair play to VAR this weekend as they upped the level of shite they are throwing out

Well that statement will do Son the world of good, he’s already distraught enough and now the PL are saying yep it was your fault.
    It’s a dreadful statement and another one designed to defend the officials.

Until we (the sport) stop giving a shit about referees then things will always be an issue. We protect them, arenít allowed to criticise them and thereís no accountability.

Why do their conversations have to be secret? Why arenít we allowed to question them? Why arenít they allowed to publicly justify their decision? Why arenít they allowed to apologise for bowlers?

They are looked after more than the players and until that changes we will always have problems
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

According to this report, referees in the PL are not allowed to consult pitch-side monitors.

Maybe their use would stop the VAR referee over-ruling the on-field ref..

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...riley-over-var
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Only just seen the explanation for the Firmino offside call at the weekend "his armpit was marginally offside"

We are stretching this to breaking point if looking to see if an armpit is 0.000001mm offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Only just seen the explanation for the Firmino offside call at the weekend "his armpit was marginally offside"

We are stretching this to breaking point if looking to see if an armpit is 0.000001mm offside.
    I've got to admit that when I saw someone explain the 'centre of gravity' side to the decision it did make sense.

Sense or not, we are breaking offsides down on the basis that an armpit is marginally offside and that is enough to chuck it and the people running it in to the fucking sea.

I've never seen a ball hit and armpit and not be given as a handball, so it shouldn't be given offside.

That was a ridiculous decision on the Firmino effort.

"The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper)."

So is the 'armpit' part of the body or part of the arm for the purpose of offside?
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

I was against pitch side monitors before we had VAR because I didnít want a situation like in the WC where it Just added unnecessary time. But if we are waiting 3 minutes anyway with the ref standing there with his finger in his ear why donít they just go a view it on the screen at the same time?

Maybe view it on the huge screens at the ground so everybody can see?

I'm sure those that don't have screens will have pitchside monitors until such time they can fit screens at their grounds.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post

I'm sure those that don't have screens will have pitchside monitors until such time they can fit screens at their grounds.
    Bournemouth only have room for a 38" screen though

Do what Slotmouth Keys does and glue a load of them together.

I cannot stress this enough, do NOT ever watch that channel. Appalling doesn't cover it.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post

Well obviously. But they are worried about fan pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    Well obviously. But they are worried about fan pressure.
    I'm not surprised if they are measuring whether someone's armpit is in front of someones knee.

So the red card for Son rescinded. Top work by all involved in that decision on Sunday. I look forward to seeing how VAR manages to find new ways to be shit this weekend

Really interesting idea from a technological standpoint and 5g.

https://www.telecomtv.com/content/5g...cisions-36858/
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

VAR get one right ruling out Woods goal for Burnley. Was obvious live and then from the first replay but we still have to sit and watch them draw all the lines.

They are scared of getting it wrong, but when itís
    Bloody obvious stop faffing about. Just make the decision and get on with the game

Was it Sheff Utd that got screwed yesterday? Haven't seen MOTD yet. Find I'm enjoying watching the Champo more than the Prem this season as there's no VAR bollocks. And obviously we'll get a goal chalked off this pm
    Wolves 2017/18 P46 W27 D11 L8 F85 A40 Pts 92: 2 pts a game is all we need...

Yes it was Sheff U, supposedly a millimetre offside, but they drew the line from the Spurs players knee when the angle they did it from showed his shoulder as further back and playing him on.

Yeah it was a stonewall penalty for Sheff Utd, I was keen for VAR to come in but if the video ref can't/won't overturn that decision, then I really don't see its purpose. Also there should be a time limit on it, if you can't decide in 30-60 seconds and 3 or 4 looks, you should go with the original decision.
    Its really not that difficult but the authorities have managed to completely fuck it up. Oh, the video refs should be a completely different set up and personnel to the onfield lot

Edit: I meant the Southampton penalty.....all the cock ups are running into one in my feeble brain
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    Yeah it was a stonewall penalty for Sheff Utd, I was keen for VAR to come in but if the video ref can't/won't overturn that decision, then I really don't see its purpose. Also there should be a time limit on it, if you can't decide in 30-60 seconds and 3 or 4 looks, you should go with the original decision.
    Its really not that difficult but the authorities have managed to completely fuck it up. Oh, the video refs should be a completely different set up and personnel to the onfield lot

Edit: I meant the Southampton penalty.....all the cock ups are running into one in my feeble brain
    I know the PL will never go for it, but I agree re the personnel. I listen to Gary Neville discussing a VAR decision and think he'd be a far better arbiter than yet another ref
    Wolves 2017/18 P46 W27 D11 L8 F85 A40 Pts 92: 2 pts a game is all we need...

It should be like NFL where the main base of video reviews is constantly manned by the same people every week. Not current refs but rules experts. Maybe ex refs or just people who have shown to be good at doing that sort of stuff from other sports.

They'd be employed by the FA or the Premier League so wouldn't be associated with PGMOL.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

For me, if it is going to be used, then the on field referee has to have the final say. Every club in the country must have a ref who they think is biased against them, so imagine the same ref sat in a studio not getting pelters from 30000 and the interpretations he can use to persuade his mate to overturn a decision. If the deuwanker decision last week is acceptable for the authorities then it is open to abuse and needs to change.

I want it binned but I am starting to think that the delays are deliberate and we are effectively seeing advertising breaks being created. The VAR outcome, sponsored by Ex-Lax, will be live after a message from our affiliates.
    No.

It would help if the offside graphics didn’t look like they had been done on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
    No.

Riley is going to tell the PL clubs that refs will be making decisions from the pitchside monitors after the International break. Obviously won't change the offside shenanigans

Great. More time wasted by incompetent idiots looking at screens. With added posturing now too.
    )