Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: V.A.R. - Good for Purpose??

If Adama clears something like 37cm between two frames at full pelt then 10 or 20cm means fuck all. It's a nonsense.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Yep. You're just changing where the line is, what if he's 10.1cm offside?

The Danish system seems the best to me. No lines drawn over the pitch, 25 seconds to make a call. Can't make a decision either way, stays with whatever happened originally.
    It's too simple and smacks of common sense to be adopted by the idiots running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Doesn't though does it? You are then measuring were they 9cms off, which randomly becomes on
    Yes it does. You're missing the point.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

It should be "Clear and obvious" the reason to go against the onfield decision, drawing lines on a screen and looking at pixels is not clear and obvious.

Video refs were meant to stop the occasional gaffe that happened but they are using it like goal line technology.

It's like they've ignored every other sports implementation of tech and just done it their own way.

It has been by far and away the worst and most confused attempt of any, if I didn't know better I'd say it was being done on purpose so bad so they get rid of it for good

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    It should be "Clear and obvious" the reason to go against the onfield decision, drawing lines on a screen and looking at pixels is not clear and obvious.

Any part of the body onside, it's onside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Yes it does. You're missing the point.
    I'm not missing the point, it's just different to yours. My issue isn't whether someone is off by a toenail or an armpit it's that you are spending ages trying to identify whether they are or not. A 10cm rule doesn't change that it just moves the line
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post

Any part of the body onside, it's onside.
    That still doesn't work. You are then just drawing the line against someone's back leg/shoulder rather than the front one. Any specific metric doesn't change the fundamental issue of having to wait 2 minutes for a decision. Anything other than a visual check doesn't fix that issue, it just moves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post

Video refs were meant to stop the occasional gaffe that happened but they are using it like goal line technology.

It's like they've ignored every other sports implementation of tech and just done it their own way.

It has been by far and away the worst and most confused attempt of any, if I didn't know better I'd say it was being done on purpose so bad so they get rid of it for good
    Agree with this !
    "Clear and obvious " is the main issue , let VAR have a quick look and make a decision without drawing ridiculous cm lines, advise the ref, and get on with the game !

Nuno on frustrations with VAR

“It’s a reality now, but each time it happens it upsets you. It’s upsetting and it’s an issue that it becomes harder to regain the concentration of the players because everything changes from that moment.

“It upsets you because when you see the images, there’s no clear advantages. The law is the law, of course, and I don’t want to say it’s a bad decision, but there’s no clear advantage in that situation. The body is in line, the foot stays behind.

“What I’m positive about is that full reaction of us professionally, the full reaction of the fans, but something has to be done – let the people that understand make changes to go back to the joy of celebrating goals like we used to do, because we are in danger of becoming robots and football is not about that. When the fans sing they are not happy, we are not happy.”
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

VAR in use on Thursday.

Uefa's referees committee chairman Roberto Rosetti said the VAR system had been successful in the Champions League this season, which paved the way for its use in the Europa.

"However, I would emphasise once more that – in compliance with its protocol – VAR is only for clear and obvious mistakes, and not for controversial situations.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...es-v-espanyol/

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Arsene Wenger pushing through a new offside rule and hopes to have it voted for and agreed in time for the Euros.

New rule would be "any part of your body you can score with is behind or level with the defender you are onside"

So Giroud's goal v Man Utd this week would have stood for example.

Gets my vote.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

So simple and should be easy to implement - except for that f**king twat Riley !

Monstrum is offline Seeks friendly banter and someone who can move Country without thinking about it
    This will make it even more confusing, they will start implementing 3d anatomy scans to see if that bodypart that was 0.5mm offside according to some blurry line at an untermined "pass" position, could be considered the arm or the chest.

If its not a clear and you have to review with with slow motion and count milimeters its not offside, I think thats a pretty simple rule to follow.

I'm not sure, for me, this won't stop the lengthy delays and we'll still have goals celebrated which will be chalked off.

But the advantage is back in favour of the attacking side, which will do for me. Sure Stockley Park will still have their crappy lines but the margin in favour of the forward should help greatly.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    But the advantage is back in favour of the attacking side, which will do for me. Sure Stockley Park will still have their crappy lines but the margin in favour of the forward should help greatly.
    The lines should also be binned though. The IFAB have been pretty vocal about that and there will be another warning heading their way next week.

The current rules + correct use of VAR would be fine but our lot have made it an issue that needs looking at.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    https://twitter.com/jason_keen/statu...965751297?s=21

The tweet in the thread with the Sterling offside - would you be happy if this was allowed against us?

I think this is still a preferable option to the current situation for definite

There's nothing wrong with the current rule, it's as fair as it's ever been, but VAR tries to enforce it with too great a degree of accuracy. Changing the wording to make different body parts just moves the focus of the VAR investigation to a different set of incidents.

Think I'm right in thinking that the current wording is the same as it was last year before VAR added excessive scrutiny? Worked fine then so just tell VAR to ease up and we're back to normal.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post

The tweet in the thread with the Sterling offside - would you be happy if this was allowed against us?

I wouldn't be happy with that one. Freeze the picture and ensure that the angle is correct. Then it should be a common sense, naked eye test. Neto, Jonny, Pukki, Giorud - all fine. Sterling - No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post

No I wouldn't like it, it looks offside, it's offside. But as you say, it's better than the forensic shite we have now and at least will see more goals scored.

Makes life a lot harder for defenders though. They have to choose whether to completely try and get out of the way or defend as normally and likely play someone on.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    No I wouldn't like it, it looks offside, it's offside. But as you say, it's better than the forensic shite we have now and at least will see more goals scored.

Makes life a lot harder for defenders though. They have to choose whether to completely try and get out of the way or defend as normally and likely play someone on.
    But at least that will stop some negative football. It brings back the benefit going for the attacker which is what we want and removes the negativity of a goal being chalked poff. Its now more likely if this was introduced that more goals would be given. Bloody headache for the poor lino!
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

Why do they choose to fix a problem by creating a new one? Imbeciles, desperate to have a finite answer which isn't going to be for the betterment of the game or the fan experience.

The offside rule doesn't need changing. It is the Premier League's implementation of VAR that is the problem.

Use it properly for clear and obvious errors like they do in every other competition that has VAR and offside is not an issue. It's Mike Riley and the PGMOL that need to change, not the rules.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

if you’re going to be ultra forensic about it then you’re better to do it using the centre of each player’s body. That way you’d eliminate offsides due to the natural leaning forward of a defender away from goal and striker towards goal, as well as the ridiculous scenarios of a toe or a pubic hair of a striker resulting in a goal being ruled out. Have a leeway of half a body width to give a striker a ‘first mover’ advantage.

But I think most fans don’t see the need to be ultra forensic when we’re supposedly correcting clear offsides, which Sterling’s example is. If you were calling offside fairly, in a school playground, and you were essentially level with a forward but he got his toe to the ball first, you’d say good goal and play on. If a video were available you wouldn’t stop the game in that instance so that a couple of non-playing fools could argue for 5 minutes or longer whether the toe was offside or not using their slide rules. That’s a principle the refs don’t seem to get.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the current rule, it's as fair as it's ever been, but VAR tries to enforce it with too great a degree of accuracy. Changing the wording to make different body parts just moves the focus of the VAR investigation to a different set of incidents.
    I agree.

Also, Wenger's idea will actually lead to less goals as teams will defend a lot deeper to accommodate the fact that an attacker could be as much as 1.5.-2m ahead of the last defender, but still be onside because of a trailing heal!

Off subject a little, but did anyone watch the Chelsea v Man Utd game? When I saw the tackle by Maguire on the Chelsea player, I thought its a red card.
    The guy on VAR deemed it not. How in Gods name did he come to that decision. I saw that it was Kavanagh at Stockley Park, well he should never be allowed to referee a game again, absolutely disgraceful. Its no wonder no Premier League referees were not officiating at the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Its no wonder no Premier League referees were not officiating at the World Cup.
    Clattenburg was our representative at the World Cup, he quit beforehand. Nothing to do with the standard of our refereeing

However we did send two refs to UEFA q school for Champions League and Europa and they both failed.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Mike Riley has come across as an obnoxious , pedantic, self important little twat throughout his entire career so its absolutely no surprise he and his stockley park minions are interpreting VAR and the rules in exactly the same fashion.

But this does throw up a whole new debate for football that is harder to answer and that is with current technology what do the game/fans/authorities want. Perfect decisions made by slide rule mathematics but right according to the current laws, or some element of doubt which then makes rules , guidelines which is not right. The rule is fine. Its the rigid interpretation thats not. Its working fine everywhere else its just Riley and his numpties who are causing the chaos to make themselves an empire.

If we go down the slide rule route we dont need officials at the game anymore. Ref by robot cam! The ref can sit in the box and make the decisions there. They can be as fat as they like, they cant be abused and every decision will be correct. FFS.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

Are people stupid?

If you go with the the Wenger rule you may as well get rid of offside altogether.

Itís really simple. Keep the rule the same, look with your eyes.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing