Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.

Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

Thought Sanderson & Jordao did well.

Ruddy will be disappointed with his input.

Clearly Nuno didn't really want us to progress here, but at least the young lads gave it a go.

You think the manager wanted to lose the game?
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Could I get a surmised, unbiased version? It seems we played badly but I can't watch anything in Brussels atm

Sanderson had some good moments. None of the fringe players did themselves any favours.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Nah - that would be imbecilic
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I've seen about 10 mins of it tonight, but given the lineup and 11 changes, I'd say Nuno isn't that bothered. We've got enough games around Christmas as it is.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    I doubt he told the players not to win, but you can see itís not top of his priorities. A shame IMO but understandable.

Thought Kilman came out of that really well. Looked much comfortable on the ball than previously. Can see his confidence rising.

All the young players did well really, not sure they could have done much more individually.

Thought Cutrone had a good game considering the lack of service but shame he missed that chance

Quote Originally Posted by jdrodrigues View Post
    Could I get a surmised, unbiased version? It seems we played badly but I can't watch anything in Brussels atm
    We sat back the entire game and few ever tried to push forward. Our midfield almost certainly made more passes backwards than sideways or forwards.

I didn't see the game. I'm sure Nuno wanted to win, he picked a team looking at the bigger picture though and I'm guessing didn't expect to.

Agree with YW, thought the team played as well as could be expected. Villa were much older, stronger and experienced. No one let themselves down, Kilman, Jordao and Sanderson were the highlights. Neto let himself down with his behaviour, might not see him for a while. An
    )

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    I've seen about 10 mins of it tonight, but given the lineup and 11 changes, I'd say Nuno isn't that bothered. We've got enough games around Christmas as it is.
    I don't think any manager goes into a game 'not that bothered'. They want to win every time they go out there and I would expect nothing less from the players either.

It is a simple fact we do not have the strength in depth at youth level to bring through a strong set of youngsters and that is clearly what Nuno wants to (or been told to) do.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

what exactly did Neto do?????
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Agree with YW, thought the team played as well as could be expected. Villa were much older, stronger and experienced. No one let themselves down, Kilman, Jordao and Sanderson were the highlights. Neto let himself down with his behaviour, might not see him for a while. An
    Think Sanderson physically held himself well but his first touch was pretty bad. You can tell he is a centre back but clearly we didn’t trust Buur.

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    An.....................?

Don't leave us hanging
    Your friends list is empty

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    Took ages to come off then clearly annoyed Nuno who gave him a death stare. I wouldn’t mess with him anyway!

It means we get a week's break in the middle of December

Also means the kids get some experience in very difficult circumstances. That was a strong villa side

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Think Sanderson physically held himself well but his first touch was pretty bad. You can tell he is a centre back but clearly we didnít trust Buur.
    I think that is what I said the other day and someone disagreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    An.....................?

Don't leave us hanging
    Dropped the phone, Iím blaming lack of sleep and definitely not alcohol
    )

Perry played well, Neto went on some mazy runs albeit quite head down & selfish sometimes.
    Sandersen doesnt play there, thought it when watching the China matches... Probaly be a great ball playing central defender but not one to venture over the halfway line with any conviction.
    Thought Kilman was great, such composure...Ruddy had his blunder gloves on.
    Some of jesus crossfield crosses were awful.....fucking spannered 2 balls behind Vinagre on the 2nd half.
    Not sure the point of bringing on BAS just to play out wide in midfield.... Just take Cutrone off.
    Too many long balls too.... Way too many.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

Basically came off moaning and waving his arms about like a stroppy teenager, Nuno grabbed him by the back of the shirt and threw him in the dugout, followed him in and death stared him !
    Your friends list is empty

Ruddy was rubbish. Pretty much cost us the game after the rest of the team worked so hard.

Kilman MOTM. Sanderson was good but his touch and forward play arenít good enough. CB playing RWB. Bennett and Vallejo nothing good nothing bad. Didnít stand out.

Vinagre. Flattered to deceive. Doesnít really do much in an attacking sense, needs to spend less time doing step-overs and offer something tangible. At fault for first goal.

Jordao and Perry were ok. Grew into game after shaky starts.

Neto didnít really offer enough for me. Gave the ball away a lot. Campbell, not really in the game.

Cutrone. Canít Judge first half, so isolated. Looked ok second half. Did some nice things, scored and should have had another. Needs to stop fouling people trying to win then ball back as it takes the pressure off. Also stop standing offside from long balls.

If Jonny and Neves play I reckon we win that.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Took ages to come off when subbed then said something to Nuno who gave him the stink eye and then pushed him into the dugout. He'll have a minor bollocking at some point I'm sure.

Threw his arms up moaning, Nuno put his arm round him and lovingly pushed him towards the dugout and then had a few words.... Nuno looked angry as fuck after.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

Thought the kids did ok, pity Cutrone missed his 1 on 1 , Ruddy didn't cover himself in glory. Although Villa dominated possession, thought we defended quite well for the most part, (2 goals aside).
    Not sure why Neto has started getting pelters, thought he did well given our lack of time on the ball, couple of excellent runs and some tidy play....however he is in the shit with Nuno.....thought he was gunna belt him one
    FJRWolf

Unpopular opinion - I don't blame ruddy for the goals. The first one the forward is about 8 yards out in front of goal.

The second comes through some players and he doesn't really get time to react

no complaints on a 2-1 defeat - our u23’s against their reserves. Good match experience for our youngsters. Impressed with Perry and a goal for Cutrone, and no injuries to any of our squad players.

Roll on arsenal at the weekend now.
    Feigning concern, a Labour pastime, makes you feel doubtful right from the start. The expression he pulls is exactly like last time, got to assume he just hasn't a brain!

Ruddy should've saved first goal, better defending from the set piece on the 2nd one, Jordao (i think it was him) has to clear it, can't let the ball go past you from there. Always going to be a tough one for the youngsters, Vallejo looked decent with his long passing range, looks better suited to the sweeper role more than playing on the left/right of a back three. Kids can keep their head held high, hopefully will see a lot more of them in the coming years.
    Positivity.....

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    No, of course not. I could have phrased it better. It was obvious that this wasn't a top priority (rightly so, tbf). I thought the young lads gave it a fair crack. Most of them were alright, given the circumstances - I think that's where my frustration with the likes of Cutrone & Ruddy (and even Neto at a push - I know he's only young but he's been involved with the first team a few times now) as the more experienced players comes from.

Cutrone, to me, has an element of last seasons Traore about him on the frustration front. He'll do something brilliant, like pull a ball out of the air from 40 yards - and then passes it straight to a Villa player. Or he'll do a lovely little turn and then the ball will bounce off his shin out of play. There's a decent player in there, but do you change the way the whole team plays to fit in with his style? I don't think so.

Jordao looked good on the ball and was spreading some lovely passes around. Fairly solid in the challenge too - think we've got a good player on our hands there, hopefully.

We played our youth team bar a couple of fringe players, none of them looked out of their depth, but we were as could be expected comfortably second best against far more experienced opposition. We obviously struggled to control the midfield in any sort of way and thougt our CMs looked very isolated at times. An extra man in midfield would perhaps have made it less one way traffic and allowed our WBs to push higher at times. Could really have used an older head in midfield but I guess we are a not short on numbers atm.

The worry I have with Cutrone is - I think his goal is the kind of service he thrives on and we rarely create clear cut chances like that in league games, from what I've seen so far of him I don't think he really suits how we play

29% possession.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos