Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 102

Thread: Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    The worry I have with Cutrone is - I think his goal is the kind of service he thrives on and we rarely create clear cut chances like that in league games, from what I've seen so far of him I don't think he really suits how we play
    Paddy made a good point that Raul didn't come in as natural fit. Obviously he had a lot more game time to adapt than Cutrone has or will have, but hopefully he can adjust as well over time. I see his role as being instead of rather than with Jimenez, but tonight he didn't have the supporting cast.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northallerton
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Unpopular opinion - I don't blame ruddy for the goals. The first one the forward is about 8 yards out in front of goal.

    The second comes through some players and he doesn't really get time to react
    Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

    2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,438
    One positive tonight was Vallejo, 3 or 4 raking diagonals and defended ok, kept it simple....no rickets as far as I remember
    FJRWolf

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

    2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?
    Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

    https://streamja.com/BA69

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,542
    The young boys did alright. The supposedly experienced player in goals let them all down.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    First time I've seen it. Has to have a stronger right hand. Vinagre is ball watching though

  7. #37
    YoungWolf's Avatar
    YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    First time I've seen it. Has to have a stronger right hand. Vinagre is ball watching though
    Agree.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Ruddy's last season with us for sure. He's becoming too slow to get down and is trying to make saves with his legs when he shouldn't.

    Sanderson and Jordao did themselves proud, both should be decent options as we go on (Dion as RCH though). Nice for Cutrone to get his goal, shame he couldn't have made it a brace. Feeding off scraps all night, new foreign player asked to play with largely an U23 team on a cold night - plenty would have downed tools. He didn't.

    Benno looks ready to play now in proper first team games which is a boost.

    Vallejo - still a couple of ropy moments but better than any of his previous outings. Is it enough, probably no but small steps.

    Neto should have gone down in his last bit of action, would have been a pen.

    Could we have won with the inclusion of 2-3 first teamers? Quite possibly. Villa didn't really play particularly well. But never mind. It's only just over an hour since full time and I already don't care about this result.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burton-On-Trent
    Posts
    43,647
    I did see the Neto penalty shout. I thought it should have been given, and like DW says if he goes down a bit easier once he's past him, then it probably gets given.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Little nod to the absolute fucking dickheads breaking seats at the back of the upper tier right at the end. Well done, I bet your Mom is really proud of you.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northallerton
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

    https://streamja.com/BA69
    I guarantee Ruddy blames himself! It looks a better goal on that video than it did from behind the goal. Ruddy has got down and got a hand to it, he's just a bit weak.
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northallerton
    Posts
    2,295
    I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northallerton
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)
    Couldn't really see the reason for the free kick, our view was slightly obscured by the goal and Jed Steer.

    Great view for El-Ghazi's and Cutrone's goals though!
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    black country
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.
    Only tv watching but he gave some very very soft fouls tonight, i reckon he goes down he gets a penalty.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,192

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wolverhampton/California
    Posts
    275
    thought elliot watt could've done well today if he was picked, seems to have a good technique and passing range- something terry taylor looked like he found difficult when trying to pick out his man- has looked good in u23s from what i've seen in bits and bobs on wolves tv.

    of course its disappointing to miss out on QFs but think it is for the best. If nuno picked 3 out of jimenez, traore, doc, neves/moutinho- people would be less annoyed but its not the end of the world. now he knows exactly what to focus on in these next two months, massive for our season- but also most difficult period- handling fixture congestion and whether we make knockouts for Europa is the focus now.
    Positivity.....

  18. #48
    Not bothered about the cup, pleased with some of the individual performances and it is good experience for some of our youth. I can't really understand why Nuno put out a weaker team against Villa than he did against Reading, though.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh
    Rotherham on loan

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Rotherham on loan
    Thanks Tony - hope he's bangin em in.

  22. #52
    Jinky's Avatar
    Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just outside of Oxford
    Posts
    25,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Thanks Tony - hope he's bangin em in.
    He’s not, unfortunately. 1 goal in 12 appearances.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,015

    Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

    I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

    That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

    We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

    File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    He’s not, unfortunately. 1 goal in 12 appearances.
    Not good. Think we might need a couple players in January.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newcastle under Lyme
    Posts
    24,331
    We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.
    Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.

  27. #57
    YoungWolf's Avatar
    YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Rotherham on loan
    Doncaster

    I think he got injured recently but although the lack of goals it seemed like he was playing well as a lone striker

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.
    Us winning the Europa League would be one of the biggest results for an English club in Europe ever. The idea that it is some gimme chance to qualify for the Champions League is absurd.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Doncaster

    I think he got injured recently but although the lack of goals it seemed like he was playing well as a lone striker
    Of course...sorry

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

    That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

    We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

    File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.
    If and its a big if Leicester/Villa win it they will get my congratulations and would have earned it as they have Everton/Man United/Man City/Liverpool/ to get past first. Have you ever thought that we don't have the finances or FFP room to purchase a shadow squad full of internationals to compete in every competition and that Nuno mentions working with a small squad as its effectively a necessity?

    Yes I wanted to win but I don't see it as a missed opportunity.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 5th April 2019, 07:28 PM
  2. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 16th January 2017, 08:17 PM
  3. Villa 1 - Wolves 1 Verdict thread
    By Parkins left foot in forum Wolves
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 19th October 2016, 11:06 PM
  4. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 14th August 2015, 04:44 PM
  5. Wolves 2 - 3 Villa: The Verdict Thread
    By Boozad in forum Wolves
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 24th January 2012, 03:46 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •