Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    The worry I have with Cutrone is - I think his goal is the kind of service he thrives on and we rarely create clear cut chances like that in league games, from what I've seen so far of him I don't think he really suits how we play
    Paddy made a good point that Raul didn't come in as natural fit. Obviously he had a lot more game time to adapt than Cutrone has or will have, but hopefully he can adjust as well over time. I see his role as being instead of rather than with Jimenez, but tonight he didn't have the supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Unpopular opinion - I don't blame ruddy for the goals. The first one the forward is about 8 yards out in front of goal.

The second comes through some players and he doesn't really get time to react
    Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

One positive tonight was Vallejo, 3 or 4 raking diagonals and defended ok, kept it simple....no rickets as far as I remember
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    Very unpopular that! Right in front of me for the 1st goal. No way should he concede that goal!

2nd one I need to see again (other end of the pitch) but didn't it go through his legs?
    Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

https://streamja.com/BA69

The young boys did alright. The supposedly experienced player in goals let them all down.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

First time I've seen it. Has to have a stronger right hand. Vinagre is ball watching though

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    First time I've seen it. Has to have a stronger right hand. Vinagre is ball watching though
    Agree.

Ruddy's last season with us for sure. He's becoming too slow to get down and is trying to make saves with his legs when he shouldn't.

Sanderson and Jordao did themselves proud, both should be decent options as we go on (Dion as RCH though). Nice for Cutrone to get his goal, shame he couldn't have made it a brace. Feeding off scraps all night, new foreign player asked to play with largely an U23 team on a cold night - plenty would have downed tools. He didn't.

Benno looks ready to play now in proper first team games which is a boost.

Vallejo - still a couple of ropy moments but better than any of his previous outings. Is it enough, probably no but small steps.

Neto should have gone down in his last bit of action, would have been a pen.

Could we have won with the inclusion of 2-3 first teamers? Quite possibly. Villa didn't really play particularly well. But never mind. It's only just over an hour since full time and I already don't care about this result.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I did see the Neto penalty shout. I thought it should have been given, and like DW says if he goes down a bit easier once he's past him, then it probably gets given.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Little nod to the absolute fucking dickheads breaking seats at the back of the upper tier right at the end. Well done, I bet your Mom is really proud of you.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    Someone being clean through 8 yards out, I think it's harsh to blame ruddy. It's close to his foot but in that area that's hard for a keeper to get to. The defence is more to blame for not being alive to the danger

https://streamja.com/BA69
    I guarantee Ruddy blames himself! It looks a better goal on that video than it did from behind the goal. Ruddy has got down and got a hand to it, he's just a bit weak.

I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.

Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Managed to give them a free kick for nothing on the winner though! (Not that it excuses a terrible ball like that ending up in the net, should be cleared and should be saved)
    Couldn't really see the reason for the free kick, our view was slightly obscured by the goal and Jed Steer.

Great view for El-Ghazi's and Cutrone's goals though!

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    I don't think Neto is getting the pen shout even if he went down. The ref was very lenient all game, I don't think he's going to give a soft pen like that.
    Only tv watching but he gave some very very soft fouls tonight, i reckon he goes down he gets a penalty.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

thought elliot watt could've done well today if he was picked, seems to have a good technique and passing range- something terry taylor looked like he found difficult when trying to pick out his man- has looked good in u23s from what i've seen in bits and bobs on wolves tv.

of course its disappointing to miss out on QFs but think it is for the best. If nuno picked 3 out of jimenez, traore, doc, neves/moutinho- people would be less annoyed but its not the end of the world. now he knows exactly what to focus on in these next two months, massive for our season- but also most difficult period- handling fixture congestion and whether we make knockouts for Europa is the focus now.
    Positivity.....

Not bothered about the cup, pleased with some of the individual performances and it is good experience for some of our youth. I can't really understand why Nuno put out a weaker team against Villa than he did against Reading, though.

Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Forced upon Nuno I suspect but have to say Vallejo seems to be questionable (in the Miranda mould). Hope the FA Cup also follows the same suit. Never heard of Campbell and quite puzzled where Niall Ennis is and what he doing. Henri Lansbury - Ugghhh
    Rotherham on loan

Rotherham on loan
    Thanks Tony - hope he's bangin em in.

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    Thanks Tony - hope he's bangin em in.
    He’s not, unfortunately. 1 goal in 12 appearances.

Villa 2-1 Wolves: League Cup Verdict Thread

I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    He’s not, unfortunately. 1 goal in 12 appearances.
    Not good. Think we might need a couple players in January.

We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    We got to the semi final of the FA Cup last year so I'm not sure that argument about kids in the FA Cup holds any water.
    Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Rotherham on loan
    Doncaster

I think he got injured recently but although the lack of goals it seemed like he was playing well as a lone striker

Win the Europa and it's Champions League. The top lads can't play em all.
    Us winning the Europa League would be one of the biggest results for an English club in Europe ever. The idea that it is some gimme chance to qualify for the Champions League is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Doncaster

I think he got injured recently but although the lack of goals it seemed like he was playing well as a lone striker
    Of course...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    I am sad to be out of this. I understand the view of many that it’s a meh cup but if Villa or Leicester win it and get into Europe then I will be pissed off. This was our first defeat in normal time since 2016 having lost on penalties to city and Leicester the last two years.

That said, Nuno wanted a paper thin squad depth so this is one of the consequences. Man City have a shadow squad of world. Class players and internationals who won this cup last year. We have the u23s. To me that is a Nuno ethos he needs to revisit if we are to challenge for any cup or indeed in any competition. We are not good enough to win the premier league or europa league . We may play the kids in the fa cup. If so we need a top 5 finish to avoid europa qualifying again.

We are learning but it was bloody obvious that the tiny squad would struggle on 4 fronts. Injuries were kind last year. Not so this.

File this as a missed opportunity for me same as last year.
    If and its a big if Leicester/Villa win it they will get my congratulations and would have earned it as they have Everton/Man United/Man City/Liverpool/ to get past first. Have you ever thought that we don't have the finances or FFP room to purchase a shadow squad full of internationals to compete in every competition and that Nuno mentions working with a small squad as its effectively a necessity?

Yes I wanted to win but I don't see it as a missed opportunity.