Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 71

Thread: Arsenal 1-1 Wolves verdict thread

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    7,675
    Not sure where else we were going to go on MOTD when all the other games had more goals and/or action.

    We had 25 shots but Leno didnít really have any saves to make (bar doc), and Rui didnít have any. Therefore thereís nothing to show.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    Not sure where else we were going to go on MOTD when all the other games had more goals and/or action.

    We had 25 shots but Leno didn’t really have any saves to make (bar doc), and Rui didn’t have any. Therefore there’s nothing to show.
    Yeah I would have had us at the end, probably before the Man U gsme, that looked dire, but its against the law for Utd to be on last.
    Being pedantic, Leno also saved from Neves I think?
    FJRWolf

  3. #33
    James's Avatar
    James is offline The Poster Equivalent of Bolton Wanderers
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    200 yards from the Sea
    Posts
    15,840
    Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    Just posted same on Facebook: 25 shots, 8 on target and fuck all shown. BBC for you.
    Big six syndrome

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    6,759
    Didnít see any of the game but a point away at Arsenal is a definitely a good result. Whatís more encouraging is that we played with the system and players that most of us wanted to see and played well for more or less the whole game from what Iíve read. Hopefully weíll see more of this going forward now.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    7,675

    Arsenal 1-1 Wolves verdict thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    Yeah I would have had us at the end, probably before the Man U gsme, that looked dire, but its against the law for Utd to be on last.
    Being pedantic, Leno also saved from Neves I think?
    He did but I could have saved that (same as Ruiís first half save so I wasnít counting it). They showed Neves shot which went 2 yards over. The fact they considered that to be one of our better chances sums up that there wasnít much in the way of decent opportunities.

    We had plenty of shots statistically but most of those were people spannering it into shins 25 yards out rather than passing to open up a better chance. Thatís why stats mean nothing in isolation.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lower Gornal
    Posts
    1,194
    I managed to watch the whole game, I think we played well and were the better team, agree to an extent that we tend to delay pulling the trigger and it kills the chances. Neves by far his best performance but the system helped that. I have said all along its the form of the players thats the difference from last season hopefully some of the players confidence levels can rise after that.

    Moutinho MOTM
    We will get 50pts (I worked it out on my computer) W13 D11 L14

  7. #37
    Played very well, but I think a draw was probably a fair result. Neves did look more comfortable, and made more of an impact, but perhaps our lack of decent shots on goal had something to do with the lack of a central pairing? I suppose formations are always about choosing priorities but we switched away from an attacking 3 for a reason last year and I'm just wondering if we will be able to sustain a good run with the old system and fewer options out wide.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newcastle under Lyme
    Posts
    24,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonby's Games Gone By View Post
    Played very well, but I think a draw was probably a fair result. Neves did look more comfortable, and made more of an impact, but perhaps our lack of decent shots on goal had something to do with the lack of a central pairing? I suppose formations are always about choosing priorities but we switched away from an attacking 3 for a reason last year and I'm just wondering if we will be able to sustain a good run with the old system and fewer options out wide.
    We did win the Championship with 3-4-3. The players have stepped up a level since last season and we have the right players in the right places (including Adama at inside forward). It seems Nuno has rediscovered his attacking mojo and this could be his preferred formation going forward.

    Of course we can't do that for everybody and I think the fact we can change to a conservative counter attack and a defensive 3-5-2 gives us real options.

    I'm more optimistic now that we can do well in Europe and still challenge for a top 7 finish.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    2,106
    What happened with Saint-Maximin?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Big six syndrome
    sky sports today: arsenal started well (!) ...and didn’t have to wait too long before taking the lead
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The best part of Wolvo.
    Posts
    27,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    What happened with Saint-Maximin?
    Watch MOTD, he’s never a footballer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northallerton
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    What happened with Saint-Maximin?
    Imagine a weak Adama with worse hair and poorer decision making.
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The best part of Wolvo.
    Posts
    27,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    Imagine a weak Adama with worse hair and poorer decision making.
    And zero finishing ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

  14. #44
    Monstrum's Avatar
    Monstrum is offline Seeks friendly banter and someone who can move Country without thinking about it
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,179
    i really like saint maxime, love the flair players, although hes admittedly a poor footballer atm. hes more of a zaha than adama type player, really quick feet, tricks and short bursts rather than raw speed and power. he either needs to learn to get into the box and dive ala zaha or develop a finishing touch, not gonna be much use in the premier league otherwise

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiwolf View Post
    Imagine a weak Adama with worse hair and poorer decision making.
    Yesterdays Adama then.

    Draw probably a fair enough result in the end, Docs shot didn't really challenge the keeper, but it was entertaining stuff. Neves playing in their half (or at least not as a 4th CB) was a breath of fresh air and ideally something we'll see more and more of again. Johnny was everywhere and really kept our forward momentum up.

    Given their resources Arsenal are an exceptionally bland team.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,694
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDoJin View Post
    Given their resources Arsenal are an exceptionally bland team.
    There is only a top 2 just now, the rest of them are vulnerable & can see 2 different sides in the Champions league next year plus Pool & MC.

    We were the better side v Arsenal away last year & this. For the resources they have (or should have) they are not that good & not sure that they have a playing style or ethos.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    For the resources they have (or should have) they are not that good & not sure that they have a playing style or ethos.
    Plus Lucas Torreira is my new 'players I actively dislike' poster boy !
    Your friends list is empty

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Just south of the wall
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Watch MOTD, he’s never a footballer.
    He's still better than Almiron, who as well as being utterly shit has the added disadvantage of looking like the ugly bastard child of Gollum.
    The poster formerly known as...

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    15,938
    I watched the Newcastle game in the pub with a Newcastle shared sth. He's written off Almiron ever scoring and thinks he'll be loaned back to America in the Summer

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
    He's still better than Almiron, who as well as being utterly shit has the added disadvantage of looking like the ugly bastard child of Gollum.
    How much did Newcastle spend on him?! Iíve watched a fair bit of MLS living in Toronto and would be aghast if Wolves bid for a single player in this entire league. TFC have somehow made this years final and they are... not very good at all really.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,580
    £20m! No goals and no assists in nearly a year.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  22. #52
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The best part of Wolvo.
    Posts
    27,469
    They’re both shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    9,010
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDoJin View Post
    How much did Newcastle spend on him?! I’ve watched a fair bit of MLS living in Toronto and would be aghast if Wolves bid for a single player in this entire league. TFC have somehow made this years final and they are... not very good at all really.
    I inadvertently watched Toronto vs DC United as I had Sportsnet Ontario on for the NHL.

    There was literally no defending in that game, none. Toronto basically walked it through the defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

    I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    I inadvertently watched Toronto vs DC United as I had Sportsnet Ontario on for the NHL.

    There was literally no defending in that game, none. Toronto basically walked it through the defense.
    Same in the Atlanta semi. The winner was a pretty nice strike, but there was almost zero attempt by last years champions to actually close the guy down. Laughable stuff really.

  25. #55
    GLASGOWOLF is offline Not English you say? Got my eyes on you then
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,767
    Arsenal V Wolves was on the big screen. The smaller TV had the West Ham game on for 2 rather pissed ofg Hammers fans.

    They both said Maxim tore them apart i watched a couple of vits as i do when chatting to fans he really did, but his end product was woeful.
    Reminds me very much of Adama last season

  26. #56
    Jinky's Avatar
    Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just outside of Oxford
    Posts
    25,798
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDoJin View Post
    Yesterdays Adama then.

    Draw probably a fair enough result in the end, Docs shot didn't really challenge the keeper, but it was entertaining stuff. Neves playing in their half (or at least not as a 4th CB) was a breath of fresh air and ideally something we'll see more and more of again. Johnny was everywhere and really kept our forward momentum up.

    Given their resources Arsenal are an exceptionally bland team.
    On the Doc chance, I must see about three of those types of effort every game - where they get in to a good position, hit it well, but it's straight at the keeper. I'd have thought as a professional footballer you are surely getting taught to hit the corners? Always bugs me how a lot of players are just happy to get it on target and "work the keeper" rather than finding the corner! Looking back at the replay, he really should have scored. Either side of Leno and it's a goal.

  27. #57
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    On the Doc chance, I must see about three of those types of effort every game - where they get in to a good position, hit it well, but it's straight at the keeper. I'd have thought as a professional footballer you are surely getting taught to hit the corners? Always bugs me how a lot of players are just happy to get it on target and "work the keeper" rather than finding the corner! Looking back at the replay, he really should have scored. Either side of Leno and it's a goal.
    As it happens every game then the conclusion is - It isn't as easy as just aiming at the corners. If it was, every game would be a goalfest. I'm sure in games you have played you have tried to put the ball somewhere but it hasn't gone there. Pro or not if the connection isn't what you need it doesn't matter. There is a big reason why those that can score 20+ a season are the most paid and the most expensive to get.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    As it happens every game then the conclusion is - It isn't as easy as just aiming at the corners. If it was, every game would be a goalfest. I'm sure in games you have played you have tried to put the ball somewhere but it hasn't gone there. Pro or not if the connection isn't what you need it doesn't matter. There is a big reason why those that can score 20+ a season are the most paid and the most expensive to get.
    Exactly - the chance was very similar to his chance away at Brighton last season, he definitely tried to find the corner in that instance, but he knocked it wide. Perhaps that went through his mind and he just thought "hit the target" unfortunately straight at Leno, a yard either side and he probably scores.

    Doc never ceases to amaze me how regularly he gets himself in really good goal scoring opportunities.

  29. #59
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,285
    Bully's lesson to any striker - Hit it hard and hit the target, don't wory about placement.

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Bully's lesson to any striker - Hit it hard and hit the target, don't wory about placement.
    Defoe has very much had the same motto.

Similar Threads

  1. The Wolves 3 Arsenal 1 verdict thread.
    By Sniffer Grouse in forum Wolves
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 26th April 2019, 07:44 PM
  2. Arsenal 1 - 1 Wolves: The Verdict
    By Alan in forum Wolves
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 13th November 2018, 10:17 PM
  3. Wolves 0 Arsenal 3 - The Verdict
    By Langers in forum The Matchday Archive
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 13th April 2012, 03:28 PM
  4. Arsenal + Atwell 1 Wolves 1 - The Verdict
    By Langers in forum Wolves
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 30th December 2011, 11:40 AM
  5. Arsenal V Wolves Matchday thread
    By North West Wanderer in forum Wolves
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 27th December 2011, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •