Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Thread

Ofcom are checking to see if Kay Burley's empty chairing of James Cleverley needs investigating.

Presumably, edited clips (aimed at going viral) that misrepresent interviews that have been on TV are out of their remit.

Tom Watson standing down. So many relative moderates on both sides are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    "MPs Chris Williamson, Stephen Hepburn and Roger Godsiff have not been endorsed by the Labour executive - meaning new candidates will be selected to replace them in their constituencies."
    Williamson is standing as an Independent. He's not popular locally but has enough of a cabal to put a dent in the Labour vote. Chalk Derby North down as blue

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Tom Watson standing down. So many relative moderates on both sides are going.
    Deputy leader. Nice timing. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    Deputy leader. Nice timing. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    I wouldn't say Tom Watson's move is a revenge one.

This is though

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...-parliament-2/

Oh and fair play to the Daily Mail for their take on Day 1 of the campaigns for Tory and Labour

Tory - Great day, nothing at all went wrong for them and Boris is like Winston Churchill
    Labour - WOW WHAT A DISASTER. Deputy quits and its a shambles

Kay's version of the Cleverly Empty Chair

Here’s a confession. I don’t think I’ve ever empty-chaired one of my TV guests before. I have said to camera: “Joe Bloggs had said they would be here, but they’ve not turned up.” But I’ve never actually taken a shot of an empty chair where my guest should have been sitting.

Yesterday was different and for myriad reasons. Here’s why.

I’ve just started hosting a new breakfast show from the heart of Westminster. It’s great timing given the announcement of an election. An opportunity for our Sky News viewers to see politicians being held to account for their promises and policies. So far we have hosted senior Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, DUP, SNP, Greens since launching last month.

Yesterday it was the foreign secretary Dominic Raab’s turn. He pulled out of the interview for logistical reasons the night before. Annoying but understandable. We were told by the Conservative press office that no other senior Tory was available to appear on the only breakfast TV show broadcast live from the heart of Westminster.

Imagine our surprise when we saw none other than James Cleverly, the party chairman himself, appear on one of our rival channels from the exact same building we were in. One of my team cantered two floors down to ask if he would also appear on our programme.

By this time he was already settling in to do a second down-the-line interview for another TV broadcaster. When he had finished we asked Mr Cleverly if he would appear on Sky. His aide whipped out the schedule of interviews planned — there were many — and agreed to a Sky News slot at 8:50. My programme broadcasts from 7 to 9am. It was tight but we were happy to make it work. There was much to speak to the government spokesman about.

The Grenfell incident when a cabinet minister had been apparently derogatory about the victims — backed up by a colleague; calls for the Welsh secretary to resign over the conduct of a former aide; a row over whether the transition period will be extended past the end of 2020; a different row over attempts to get officials to cost Labour policies; the row over the failure to publish the report into Russian interference. Oh, and the prime minister comparing Jeremy Corbyn to Stalin.
    As Mr Cleverly and his aide went from studio to studio within the Millbank building being interviewed by broadcasters “remotely” back to their headquarters in other parts of the country, we waited patiently for our promised slot of 8:50.

It’s important to hold politicians to account hence my employer’s commitment to leaders’ debates. And of course let’s not forget it was Sky News that threatened to empty chair the party leaders in this very newspaper that began the successful campaign for televised leaders’ debates at the 2010 general election — just as we are now proposing a three-way debate between Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Jo Swinson.

Anyway, just before Mr Cleverly was due to be seated in the chair next to me one of my team came forlornly into the studio to report that we’d been told he was no longer available. Mr C was not 15 feet away in the Sky News radio studio preparing to be interviewed by talkRADIO, remotely.

Moments later we were in a commercial break and I momentarily left my seat to pop next door and chat to the chairman. I asked him whether he would be appearing on my show. He pointed to his aide. His aide said it was no longer possible. I reverted to Mr Cleverly and said you can overrule that decision. He said it wasn’t possible.

I told him if he didn’t appear on my show to answer very real questions that needed to be answered then I would empty chair him. Both the chairman and the aide said in unison that I couldn’t. I said: just watch me.

Since then, there have been more than a million views of me empty-chairing James Cleverly on Twitter and the “chair” has its own social media account. It’s going to be a long election campaign folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Kay's version of the Cleverly Empty Chair
    I'm not sure I grasp the concept of empty-chairing. Is it like they introduce someone who was supposed to be there but isn't and the questions get asked anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jdrodrigues View Post
    I'm not sure I grasp the concept of empty-chairing. Is it like they introduce someone who was supposed to be there but isn't and the questions get asked anyway?
    Its essentially to embarrass them and show the viewers someone has bottled out of facing questioning and during this interview there was a lot to cover (Rees-Mogg saying people died in a burning Tower due to lack of common sense, Boris comparing Corbyn to Stalin and murdering people, The Tories doctoring a video of a Labour MP being interviewed and passing it off as fact for starters). So Cleverly agreed to appear then pulled out at the last moment and Burley is a horrible journo at the best of times, so she nailed him for it. She essentially used up the time allocated for the interview by pointing out he wasn't there (a lot) and these are the things he is avoiding answering.

My best memory of Kay burley,is her nearly getting lynched while reporting the April Jones case in Machynlleth,large crowd of locals,she announces that April has been confirmed dead they've found a body,we now go live to Aprils parents for their reaction,crowd took it badly,copper in charge had that WTF? Look on his face and had to organise a cordon around Burley and get her into the sky van and away,Sky sent someone else to cover the story after that
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Kay Burley is just a vile individual. Her v James Cleverly is a fight that I hope both lose. Ideally with plenty of media attention.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

someone at the bbc appears to have grown (half) a backbone at fucking last!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50317404
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    someone at the bbc appears to have grown (half) a backbone at fucking last!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50317404
    Until Labour get fact checked then it'll be 'right-wing bbc' again. Gotta love Labour supporters.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Johnson doesn't understand how his own "great new deal" works with regards to NI customs. Or he's lying. Or both.

He also has been blithering on about how good keeping FoM and single market access is for NI. I actually agree with him for once. So if that's so great, why can't the rest of us have that too?
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Do you think he's:

a) Rambling on in that semi-incomprehensible babbling way that he often does, where nothing makes any sense and it sounds like he's been at Papa's sherry, and he just thinks "words" will do

b) Deliberately lying (pretty much his default setting)

c) Clearly unable to grasp what he's just put his name to (quite possible, he isn't that bright and he has never cared about detail)

They're the only options really, though all three could apply all at the same time.

Whichever of the three, he is not someone who should be Prime Minister of a first world nation FFS. Appalling.

Twitter
    Facebook

Oh, and just to add, well into the first week of campaigning and he still hasn't given a proper press conference yet. They're hiding him away like they did for the leadership contest, as they know how blatantly shit he is.

Twitter
    Facebook

Excellent stuff as sex pest Charlie Elphicke (you might remember May reinstated him to the party so he could vote for one of her shitty Bills) steps down as Tory candidate for Dover...

To be replaced by his wife.

The kind of crap you'd get in the worst kind of banana republics.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Excellent stuff as sex pest Charlie Elphicke (you might remember May reinstated him to the party so he could vote for one of her shitty Bills) steps down as Tory candidate for Dover...

To be replaced by his wife.

The kind of crap you'd get in the worst kind of banana republics.
    I think it was for her vote of no confidence.

Ah yes. Possibly even worse then as it was done with purely selfish motives.

A handy way to keep track (it's probably not even exhaustive, he and the utterly awful Cabinet he has handpicked lie virtually every time they speak):

https://boris-johnson-lies.com

Twitter
    Facebook

Excellent plan from Labour to re-open Sure Start centres. Iím probably going to have to vote labour again, some of the policies look decent which will help when holding my nose.
    )

So if that's so great, why can't the rest of us have that too?
    Because any party that has advocated a 'liberal' stance towards immigration has been trounced in elections.

Blair won in 2005 after allowing free movement to nationals of new EU countries

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Because any party that has advocated a 'liberal' stance towards immigration has been trounced in elections.
    Have they bollocks.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

I'm just saying that Rowley Birkin was blithering on about how good free movement is (as well as single market access), so why does he want it to be taken away? Surely governments tend to retain things that they think are "great"?

To be fair it didn't sound like he had a clue what he was on about.

Twitter
    Facebook

To be fair it didn't sound like he had a clue what he was on about.
    Boris will say whatever he thinks the people in the room want to hear. Doesn't matter if it is filmed as he will simply deny ever saying it and most go oh ok, carry on then.

I thought it was Corbyn that was supposed to be colluding with Commies?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/08/u...mpression=true

Why would the government not want to release a report that would surely exonerate them.......?

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/05/u...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Blair won in 2005 after allowing free movement to nationals of new EU countries
    In 2004 the EU expanded to include eight new countries. The Accession Treaty in 2003 gave member states the right to restrict (ie ignore Freedom of Movement) for a maximum of seven years. It must be said the 'chickens had not come to roost in 2005 although it was not until 2010 when Gordon Brown was apologising for calling Gillian Duffy a bigot over her concerns over immigration that the tide turned.

She was a bigot.

Twitter
    Facebook

The tide turned on immigration when the blarting wankfuck Farage was allowed to be given a platform for his foul views. Simple as that.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Reports of Dan Carden, Labour MP, singing Hey Jews to the tune of Hey Jude on a private bus trip.

Of course Labour don't have a problem with anti-Semitism at all. Corbyn is investigating.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.