Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Election Thread

Editors edit. Subs sub. Readers buy what they want to read.
    Online content, social media and the TV are more relevant these days.
    I tend to disbelieve most of it whichever side it's coming from. But then I'm a cynic. Only ever voted once and that was a (Major) mistake.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

This is an actual Tory candidate. And it's on his actual campaign page

A Conservative candidate in a key marginal has said he would force problem tenants to live in tents in a field if he wins the seat.

Lee Anderson is hoping to overturn a tiny Labour majority of just 441 in Ashfield in Nottinghamshire. The constituency is one of the Tories' key target seats.

In a video posted to his campaign Facebook page on Sunday, Anderson told voters of his plan to evict "nuisance tenants" that have been bothering residents in the area.

"People say to me, 'but they've got to live somewhere'. That's right, so my plan would be, and again this is just my own personal opinion, is that these people who have to live somewhere, let's have them in a tent, in the middle of a field.

"Six o'clock every morning, let's have them up, let's have them in the field, picking potatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, back in the tent, cold shower, lights out, six o'clock, same again the next day. That would be my solution."
    Nice people, eh.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    You know the media is more than just the newspapers?
    Yeah it's the BBC too....

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post

Nice people, eh.
    He's gone full Nazi there. One step away from reintroducing Victorian poor houses.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by proslo View Post
    Again though, you're missing the point. There was no "essence of Leave". Farage wasn't even a part of the official Leave campaign (Vote Leave) but instead part of the unofficial Leave.EU campaign group. Vote Leave's arguments were economic; Leave.EU's were around immigration and nationalism. The two had fundamentally incompatible proposals for the post-referendum settlement.

You also seem to be suggesting that any kind of role for the ECJ is unacceptable from an "independence" position, but I hate to break it to you - there's gonna be a role for European institutions in whatever the post-Brexit landscape looks like, and they're going to make decisions that conflict with government policy. There isn't a trade deal on this planet that doesn't have some kind of court as an arbitration body, let alone the fact that the UK will always be a member of various other regional and global bodies, from the Council of Europe to the UN. Independence as sovereignty is a myth. It has never existed; even North Korea isn't that isolated.
    As you quite rightly suggest there were many reasons to vote for Independence and also many to vote for remain but there was plenty of reasoning for having that vote and in effect it was binary. You cannot give a multiple choice, add up the scores and position on that - it wouldn't work in a general election and won't work in respect of the EU. The vote was not ill-informed - amongst all the doomsday project fear and the bollocks on the bus there was a clear explanation of how the EU worked, it's four pillars and how the commision, single market, customs union could be evaluated. At times it was information overload but there was discussion on agriculture, fisheries, security, immigration - absolutely everything and it was clear what a tick in the leave box meant.

If the discussion is now centred on a misinterpretation of what Independence means then it is really clutching at straws. The EU is much more than an economic treaty it is a centralised entity that can effect almost every aspect of our lives and it would have continued to evolve. Although it was mooted you would never have a similar union between the USA, Canada, Mexico and other countries with a single currency yet trade deals exist. There is absolutely no comparison with trade deals and how they are arbitrated in a global economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    He's gone full Nazi there. One step away from reintroducing Victorian poor houses.
    So what would you do with nuisance tenants Johnny? And how if you were a politician tell their neighbours how you would solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post

Nice people, eh.
    In some areas of Ashfield I think I'd prefer the option of a tent in a field.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    So when you are a party faced with bias, issues and a need to oust a Tory government be it Thatcher, Cameron, May or Boris you need an opposition leader who gets it and provides charisma and something you can vote for even if it moves labours traditional values more central. That was Tony Blair. In my voting life time Foot, Kinnock, Brown, Milliband have already been found wanting and under Corbyn and Abbott labour are completely unelectable. You may as well campaign for Prince Andrew to be king.

You know what you are getting with the Cons. The Libs seem a single issue party ie cancel Brexit so you also know what you are getting and they would revert to type if they didn't have the 'cancel Brexit' in their armoury and be almost lost in the melee. JC is mistrusted by the population, by business, has no clear plan on Brexit and is deemed a terrorist sympathiser when in fact he is nothing of the sort. His stance on Freedom of Movement (leaked by Abbott) will just about finish him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs_Wolf View Post
    I use trains more often than not and think there is a spectrum...

Northern Trains are ancient, barely fit for purpose and freezing cold and the worst I've been on by a long stretch.

East Midlands Railway and WM are much of a muchness.

Then there is Virgin miles out at the front.

I know you're particularly outspoken if nationalisation but so many of our rail operators are state owned and rail travel in Germany is cheap and comfortable so I refuse to believe that we couldn't produce a much better service.

BR was wilfully ignored by the government in classic defund and sell.
    Better service would mean modernisation, far more automation and most likely job losses which doesnt quite fit with the trade unions.

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Better service would mean modernization, far more automation and most likely job losses which doesn't quite fit with the trade unions.
    Nope, wrong with regards to the Rail network.

There are already "super Boxes" open to run the signalling with more planned. The re-signalling improvements will mean less delay(I know ), train cab radios (GSMR) that can ring into the nearest Signal Box in the trains area have been running for a few years now and speed up communications between drivers and signallers.

The railway will not be fully automated in my lifetime and there is still a need for signallers as well as staff "on the ground" to react to problems. These roles are being taken up by former signallers with local knowledge and training in the signallers rule book.

The union is working closely with Network Rail and the older signallers are either taking an early retirement payoff or there is the natural drop off of employees reaching retirement age
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    So what would you do with nuisance tenants Johnny? And how if you were a politician tell their neighbours how you would solve the problem?
    I wouldn't stick them in a fucking tent in a field.

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Nope, wrong with regards to the Rail network.

There are already "super Boxes" open to run the signalling with more planned. The re-signalling improvements will mean less delay(I know ), train cab radios (GSMR) that can ring into the nearest Signal Box in the trains area have been running for a few years now and speed up communications between drivers and signallers.

The railway will not be fully automated in my lifetime and there is still a need for signallers as well as staff "on the ground" to react to problems. These roles are being taken up by former signallers with local knowledge and training in the signallers rule book.

The union is working closely with Network Rail and the older signallers are either taking an early retirement payoff or there is the natural drop off of employees reaching retirement age
    Not to mention all of these trains will need to be designed, developed and built. It's a myth that more automation will lead to job losses. It will lead to different jobs with populous learning new skills. The digital era has only just begun, there's loads that can be done that I can think of and there are millions of minds brighter than mine.

Election Thread

Whatís going on with Corbynís glasses during this debate?

Quote Originally Posted by SSB View Post
    What’s going on with Corbyn’s glasses during this debate?
    Johnson is a moron but he's wiping the floor with Corbyn tonight. Corbyn looks a mess and sounds just angry, almost shouting at Juliet Etchingham.

Loved the Dr trying not to laugh when Johnson was telling him how passionate he was about the NHS.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

People jeering when Corbyn mentions poor people being hit hardest by climate change. What have we become?
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

A polarised country.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Poor performance from both men in the end. Both avoided answering questions, particularly the one on trust. Johnson was appalling on the NHS and embarrassing trying to crowbar Brexit in at every opportunity, eventually and inevitably boo'd at the end.

Corbyn was less of a mess but still woefully unconvincing and asking people to believe him without anything credible to back it up.

Just caught up on the summary of it - Johnson just repeating lies that have already been debunked and saying "get Brexit done".

He is a woeful speaker, he really is.

Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Oddest thing tonight. Tory Press HQ changed their twitter name to FactCheckUK. Then spent the evening saying WRONG to anything JC said and then declared Johnson the winner.....then changed their twitter name back to CCHQ Press and used the FactCheckUk pic they produced saying Boris won as if it was done by someone else!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Oddest thing tonight. Tory Press HQ changed their twitter name to FactCheckUK. Then spent the evening saying WRONG to anything JC said and then declared Johnson the winner.....then changed their twitter name back to CCHQ Press and used the FactCheckUk pic they produced saying Boris won as if it was done by someone else!
    Sake

Absolutely Cummings' fingerprints all over that, one of those increasingly frequent ones where he wants to show off how clever he is and instead makes himself look like a semi-sentient Lego man. Prick.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I'm sure the media will be all over that tomorrow.

Ralf Little has changed has name to Consverative Press Office and is now having some fun on Twitter

So many opportunities for Corbyn to put Johnson under pressure and to make him look like the chancer that he is. None taken as he can't think on his feet.

Brexit is actually a good line of attack for Johnson but he ruined it tonight by overusing it. Sounded like May with her 'strong and stable' nonsense.

He doesn't have anything else to offer or say.

In fact his Brexit stance doesn't mean anything. It's three words cobbled together into a horrible clunky phrase. Classic Dom.

Twitter
    Facebook