Page 83 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3390

Thread: Coronavirus

The landscape is going to be completely different after this crisis, it's going to be interesting to see how things unfold - especially in regards to the Chancellors comments around how things will need to be "fair" going forward.

I'm currently working my 12 week notice period but that is potentially being cut short as my new employer is ready for me to start ASAP and my current workload has fallen off a cliff and my current employer are basically paying me to sit at home.

My brother was laid off last week but has thankfully managed to pick up a full time temporary role in a local food production facility that are obviously still going 100% and starts on Sunday.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

The genie is out of the bottle in many ways. If nothing else, austerity is dead, a 2x4 has been rammed through its heart and everyone is jumping up and down on the corpse.

Everyone knows the magic money trees exist. Lying about them in future isn't going to work.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Nuts. This would be great for me... if only I hadn't become self-employed in August last year. I've filed self-assessment returns for many years, but the vast majority of my income has been PAYE for the last decade. This means I'm basically left with Universal Credit. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    He has a feeling that his way is brilliant. Because he is a brilliant, stable, genius.

Strangely, I would expect a brilliant, stable genius to have a slightly better record at not bankrupting companies and halving daddy's fortune.
    Apparently his poll numbers are up. Despite screwing up everything he touches. More people approve of his virus leadership than disapprove. It's almost impossible to believe but I guess it's just what people do in time of crisis. Wouldn't surprise me if your Boris gets increased support.

UK Death count today is grim. First day of over 100 losses.

The drop yesterday followed by a significant increase EXACTLY mirrors the curve in Italy.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

The drop yesterday followed by a significant increase EXACTLY mirrors the curve in Italy.
    The drop yesterday was a bit of a farce as it came from a charge in how they record the figures, difficult to understand the current trends now.

113 confirmed dead today - 578 total.

Quote Originally Posted by proslo View Post
    Nuts. This would be great for me... if only I hadn't become self-employed in August last year. I've filed self-assessment returns for many years, but the vast majority of my income has been PAYE for the last decade. This means I'm basically left with Universal Credit. Ugh.
    I'd not abandon hope yet mate. If you can show invoices and proof of payment (as well as actually registering as self-employed) then maybe they can help.

It is a bit frustrating that we have to wait. I checked my HMRC account last night and they have everything back to 2014, right there. You can see what I filed, just pay me on that basis and I am happy.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale

Slightly skewed though by yesterdays figures being done differently aren't they, so part of yesterday are also included in todays. Still the numbers are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisons Wrong Foot View Post
    Apparently his poll numbers are up. Despite screwing up everything he touches. More people approve of his virus leadership than disapprove. It's almost impossible to believe but I guess it's just what people do in time of crisis. Wouldn't surprise me if your Boris gets increased support.
    It's an interesting point. Normally if you aren't polling brilliantly and need a crisis to come along to help you out it is considered a good idea to perform admirably in that crisis. See Thatcher, M and the Falklands War. Somehow the orange baby and the incompetent idiot over here don't even need to perform. For Donald, he sees the death rate in NYC and California and sits there and thinks - thats a load of democrats that won't be voting Biden in November.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

More ambiguity from my work this evening.

Group Chairman had penned a letter saying we were going to enact a full shut down, like a Christmas time, from next Wednesday until the following Friday. Everyone has to use 7 days of holiday to cover that time off.

However, that letter was forwarded to individuals by regional directors and ours stipulated in his email that any individuals working on projects where site is still open should continue.

So who takes precedence? Do we shut all sites and everyone puts their feet up for a week and a half or do we all desperately try to cling to an active site or keep more jobs open in a bid to protect our holiday allowance?
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I'd not abandon hope yet mate. If you can show invoices and proof of payment (as well as actually registering as self-employed) then maybe they can help.

It is a bit frustrating that we have to wait. I checked my HMRC account last night and they have everything back to 2014, right there. You can see what I filed, just pay me on that basis and I am happy.
    The oddest thing I have just read is the HMRC will contact you to invite you to apply, they will only contact you if you meet the criteria....however when applying you have to prove you are eligible! Eh so from the data the HMRC will see you are but you then have to prove it to them. What a muddled load of bollocks that is

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Slightly skewed though by yesterdays figures being done differently aren't they, so part of yesterday are also included in todays. Still the numbers are horrible.
    A little, maybe. Although it seems strange that Italy had the same drop on exactly the same day. Perhaps they did the same thing and we have copied them, although I am doubtful. It seems massively coincidental.

A little narrative from those dealing with it at the top might be useful. Confirming it was solely to do with a different count method would be good to hear, although the numbers are hideous.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

The oddest thing I have just read is the HMRC will contact you to invite you to apply, they will only contact you if you meet the criteria....however when applying you have to prove you are eligible! Eh so from the data the HMRC will see you are but you then have to prove it to them. What a muddled load of bollocks that is
    It's based on previous years' income, I've filed it, they've accepted it, I don't see why the extra step comes in.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    More ambiguity from my work this evening.

Group Chairman had penned a letter saying we were going to enact a full shut down, like a Christmas time, from next Wednesday until the following Friday. Everyone has to use 7 days of holiday to cover that time off.

However, that letter was forwarded to individuals by regional directors and ours stipulated in his email that any individuals working on projects where site is still open should continue.

So who takes precedence? Do we shut all sites and everyone puts their feet up for a week and a half or do we all desperately try to cling to an active site or keep more jobs open in a bid to protect our holiday allowance?
    That's shit communication. A joke.

The group Chairman takes precedence for me, but why should you be forced to burn holiday for this? That's disgusting.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    It's based on previous years' income, I've filed it, they've accepted it, I don't see why the extra step comes in.
    - HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will use existing information to identify those eligible and will invite applications
    - The application will require them to confirm that they meet the eligibility requirements

What needs confirming?
    Were the Tax Filings you made correct?

Well no Mr Taxman, I made an error in 2017, so understated my income, please give me more.

That's shit communication. A joke.

The group Chairman takes precedence for me, but why should you be forced to burn holiday for this? That's disgusting.
    I'm going to ring someone I know who works for another region in the morning and see how it was communicated to them, not sure if they have any sites still trying to keep going.

As it stands the two sites I'm most closely involved with are still open so if that's still the case come Wednesday I should be able to fill a good chunk of my timesheet with little effort and maybe avoid any dent in my holiday with a bit of a blag.

It's a crock of shit, if they really wanted to take a stand they can afford to be the bigger man, send everyone home on full pay and take the hit. They give it lip service but they don't back it up with their actions.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Worse than they appear. These are the deaths up until 5pm yesterday, they had been announcing upto 9am the day of announcement previously

- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will use existing information to identify those eligible and will invite applications
    - The application will require them to confirm that they meet the eligibility requirements

What needs confirming?
    Were the Tax Filings you made correct?

Well no Mr Taxman, I made an error in 2017, so understated my income, please give me more.
    Is it in case people are no longer self employed and on someone’s payroll?

So, this applause for NHS workers at 8 - what are people’s thoughts on this?

I have great respect for the NHS, and those who are working incredibly hard now, but to defeat this virus we all have to make sacrifices - whether you are living more frugally due to business closure or your employer having to cut cost, or a driver working long hours to stock our stores, or dealing with vulnerable people whose housing is being impacted, I salute you all. I don’t think we should be separating any group, save for those looking to exploit the situation or those who impact others because they won’t change their behaviours - we are all in this together - applause all round.

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    Is they're shutting down, even just individual departments, there's no reason whatsoever that they can't furlough you. I'd request it if I were you mate, saves wasting holiday
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

I'm not a fan of the applause things to be honest. When Italy and Spain were doing them it seemed as much about letting your neighbours know you were still there, and so it was a very communal thing. I don't think us Brits operate like that.

I will probably be walking the dog at 8pm for my bit of exercise so it will be interesting to hear if it happens.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Is it in case people are no longer self employed and on someone’s payroll?
    Good point. Forgetting the last tax year they would be looking is 18/19 so people may have quit and gone into employment in the months after it. I stand down my confusion.
    3 days into a (crappy) lockdown and my brain has given up basic thinking already

Going to do the last shift at the charity shop tomorrow then we will have to close mainly as I am the only one left who can go in (even though I became vunerable yesterday) mainly to offload as many of the free NHS hearing aid batteries as I can. On my own, which we don't normally do in case of a fall, but have a failsafe as one of the other trustees will phone me an hour after I should be home to make sure that I am there - if not then she will get assistance just in case I have fallen down the stairs & am comatose in the shop.

Will be down to offering a phone number after that so can possibly arrange for a delivery service for urgent consumable supplies - one of my neighbours has offered to help in that though maybe we can use the new NHS volunteer task force.

Elder son is run off his feet as he works for a commercial telecom company & with so many more working from home he is doing 15 hr days at the moment. Can do this online from home though tbh he worked mostly from home well before this started, which is a good job as his partner works in hospitality & has been asked to take unpaid leave now.

Daughter in law is a nursery nurse & they have very few kids being brought in so is off, but on 80% of salary. Other son runs his own Ltd Co with one other - from annoucements today he should be able to get something under one of the packages which will help as his work flow has fallen off a cliff & they have £5000 of expenses to cover each month before they earn anything.

If I lived nearer most of you would be happy to help as my income with final salary & state pensions is more guaranteed than anyone else's. Have to look to see what I can still do down here.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

Not happy at the reports that some existing uk manufacturers of ventilators are being ignored with regards to increasing supplies. I would have thought (it may have been mentioned on here earlier) the easiest thing would have been to take a currently approved machine and upscale the manufacturing with help, and royalties, from larger firms willing to help. Giving a contract for a yet to be approved machine, for a yet to be known date, more than likely outside of the uk, to a Brexit supporting mate stinks a little.
    The machines are needed now.

Edit: It would appear that existing designs are being used this way. I should have read other articles before posting. The points stands regarding the 10000 order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawolf View Post
    So, this applause for NHS workers at 8 - what are people’s thoughts on this?

I have great respect for the NHS, and those who are working incredibly hard now, but to defeat this virus we all have to make sacrifices - whether you are living more frugally due to business closure or your employer having to cut cost, or a driver working long hours to stock our stores, or dealing with vulnerable people whose housing is being impacted, I salute you all. I don’t think we should be separating any group, save for those looking to exploit the situation or those who impact others because they won’t change their behaviours - we are all in this together - applause all round.
    My sister is a surgeon, my brother in law works in mental health and my niece is a paramedic. They've decided that at 8pm, my other (non NHS) niece has to stand in the lounge and clap them for a minute whilst they sit on the sofa.

Think I'm gunna do the clapping at 8pm thing, the way I see it, if one critical worker in my street gets a crumb of comfort from it its worthwhile.
    Also maybe it will help the mental state of people who are in full lockdown, by hanging out the window at the same time as others e.g. an old friend lives over the road 2 doors down, she is in the middle of cancer treatment and her partner has lung issues so they only see real people when one of her daughters drops shopping at the door and waves at the end of the drive, I'm sure they will get a little boost from it all
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Not happy at the reports that some existing uk manufacturers of ventilators are being ignored with regards to increasing supplies. I would have thought (it may have been mentioned on here earlier) the easiest thing would have been to take a currently approved machine and upscale the manufacturing with help, and royalties, from larger firms willing to help. Giving a contract for a yet to be approved machine, for a yet to be known date, more than likely outside of the uk, to a Brexit supporting mate stinks a little.
    The machines are needed now.

Edit: It would appear that existing designs are being used this way. I should have read other articles before posting. The points stands regarding the 10000 order.
    I hope that cunt Dyson machine fails the test, the profiteering bastard. He's applied for patent on parts of it that would give him royalties on any machine and if he then got a contract they'd have to use him. Cunt.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Had an email earlier from HR stating we all need to do the safe distancing 6 feet apart thing at work,and do the same with passengers,fair enough,I can fully understand why,so the questions were raised to the manager about
    How does that work on a minibus with 6 people on it?
    How do we fix wheelchairs into the bus,and put seat belts on passengers who can't manage?
    How do we help passengers who don't use frames/sticks to walk,but are slightly unsteady?
    The reply was its part of your job description to do those things so do them.
    Question was
    How do we do that and safe distance and what takes priority?
    Reply was,just do your job!
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I hope that cunt Dyson machine fails the test, the profiteering bastard. He's applied for patent on parts of it that would give him royalties on any machine and if he then got a contract they'd have to use him. Cunt.
    I agree it seems odd to start from scratch when you have an existing manufacturer but don't know the ins and outs of it.....tbh in the current situation I don't give a shit how twattish the manufacturers are as long as they get them out the door
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    I agree it seems odd to start from scratch when you have an existing manufacturer but don't know the ins and outs of it.....tbh in the current situation I don't give a shit how twattish the manufacturers are as long as they get them out the door
    Thankfully it looks like the consortium of motor manufacturers has got it done and they will be built.

In other news, the Covid-19 test kits are being developed in NI and in conjunction with Eire will be in production next week. Related to that the anti-viral drugs work being done at Imperial is nearly finished and trials to begin shortly. This is a suppressant drug (much like AIDS drugs are) not a vaccine.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.