Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 112 of 112

Thread: Wolves 0-0 Brighton (Shit we're now 5th) Thread

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Was Vinagre THAT bad anyway? I thought we need to play him higher but he was one of the early threats I felt before we faded away as a team.

    We definitely needed the early goal in this case - which I think we set out to get, but when it didn't we looked somewhat short on ideas as Brighton's shape was very compact. We were far too keen to shoot from distance which meant the only two half decent chances I thought we made were the one when Traore played it across the box to Podence and Raul ended up shooting, and Donck's from a very good move right at the end. The latter was the first time we really made any combinations in the final third like that.
    I don't think he had a particularly poor game, no worse than many, but you know how fans are they like to target a scapegoat, thank god MGW wasn't involved
    FJRWolf

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    17,075
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Was Vinagre THAT bad anyway? I thought we need to play him higher but he was one of the early threats I felt before we faded away as a team.
    He saw a lot of the ball in the first half and most of our good positions ended with him losing it, normally by taking one too many men on. For balance he also created the best as well.

    In the second the ball still came to him a lot but he played within himself, either because he knew he'd wasted good positions/Nuno bollocked him/fans groaning when he lost it in the first killed his confidence.

    I didn't hear anything ott in the first half, just general disappointment when a good position broke down. It gradually got worse in the second culminating in the moment Kenny mentioned.

    Ironically if he'd done in the first half what he was doing in the second when he was higher up the pitch (laying the ball off), all would have been fine.

  3. #93
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    For context that was a minute or so into injury time. As well as the worst stick a player has got under Nuno, I'd also say it's the most 'gerrit forward' the fan base has been as well.
    The bit I am talking about came when Jota was still on the pitch. If he had made a run out wide, then Vinagre would have had a better option.

    Apart from a couple of moments he was poor yesterday but nothing that justified the abuse.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lower Gornal
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by GLASGOWOLF View Post
    The crowd agitation was not evident on the TV I would have understood if my coverage was IPTV, but it was Satellite so generally has better sound ETC.
    However I will accept those who were there.
    It did seem flat, but that's all ways been the case the crowd and the players seem to feed of each other.
    A flat atmosphere brings a flat performance
    A flat performance brings a flat atmosphere
    Well as somebody who was there I can tell you that the flat atmosphere reported on here is somewhat exaggerated.

    I was in S4 and although the game was tedious we still gave it a go and tried to get the team going.

    There was whining around the ground and I said to my brother I can see the confidence draining from Ruben. He replied (not one for understating it) "we should go back down to League 1 so these fuckers never turn up again"

    So it was a bit of both really.

    As for the game Why do we change our formation to nullify Brighton. They are no longer a "park the bus team" they are a team who like to play but are shit, 343 and we murder 'em. (well maybe)

    IMO Traore for Donk for the last 20 mins and we might win.

    Overall we are in a good position, we've played a lot of games, but the league is super tight 4 points above 11th.

    IT AYE THE END OF THE WORLD
    We will get 50pts (I worked it out on my computer) W13 D11 L14

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Just south of the wall
    Posts
    1,108
    I think most rational expect the team drop points along the way and understand that it might even be against teams we feel we should beat. But isn't that the frustration? That we know we are better than teams like Brighton? Because we are, we really are, so when the team plays poorly, which we definitely did yesterday, it is doubly disappointing because it is an opportunity missed. And yes, I get that all teams miss those opportunities, but come on, that does NOT lessen the frustration and disappointment. In fact it makes it worse in some respects because it means we haven't capitalised on other teams off days. Nobody in the right mind expects every performance to be brilliant, but poor performances from the entire team after a full week of rest and preparation are inexplicable and pretty inexcusable really.
    The poster formerly known as...

  6. #96
    GLASGOWOLF is offline Not English you say? Got my eyes on you then
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by StuardoWulf View Post
    Well as somebody who was there I can tell you that the flat atmosphere reported on here is somewhat exaggerated.

    I was in S4 and although the game was tedious we still gave it a go and tried to get the team going.

    There was whining around the ground and I said to my brother I can see the confidence draining from Ruben. He replied (not one for understating it) "we should go back down to League 1 so these fuckers never turn up again"

    So it was a bit of both really.

    As for the game Why do we change our formation to nullify Brighton. They are no longer a "park the bus team" they are a team who like to play but are shit, 343 and we murder 'em. (well maybe)

    IMO Traore for Donk for the last 20 mins and we might win.

    Overall we are in a good position, we've played a lot of games, but the league is super tight 4 points above 11th.

    IT AYE THE END OF THE WORLD
    Cheers, atmosphere came over somewhat flat on TV it was the main game on Bein 11so was my main game.

    Nuno makes very few mistakes, I can see where Traore was on the bench.

    Yesterday was very much the players that were flat maybe Neto in a central role would have worked

  7. #97
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
    I think most rational expect the team drop points along the way and understand that it might even be against teams we feel we should beat. But isn't that the frustration? That we know we are better than teams like Brighton? Because we are, we really are, so when the team plays poorly, which we definitely did yesterday, it is doubly disappointing because it is an opportunity missed. And yes, I get that all teams miss those opportunities, but come on, that does NOT lessen the frustration and disappointment. In fact it makes it worse in some respects because it means we haven't capitalised on other teams off days.
    Huge difference in frustration and singling out 1 player to call all the cunts under the sun though. In general the crowd beat what was being put in on the pitch but lets not go back down the road of deciding 1 player is the reason for a crap performance and then jumping on his back when something doesn't happen for him.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Just south of the wall
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Huge difference in frustration and singling out 1 player to call all the cunts under the sun though. In general the crowd beat what was being put in on the pitch but lets not go back down the road of deciding 1 player is the reason for a crap performance and then jumping on his back when something doesn't happen for him.
    I don't recall doing that. And I never made excuses for those who did.
    The poster formerly known as...

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    17,075
    Quote Originally Posted by StuardoWulf View Post
    As for the game Why do we change our formation to nullify Brighton. They are no longer a "park the bus team" they are a team who like to play but are shit, 343 and we murder 'em. (well maybe)
    Nuno felt we surrendered the midfield to them in the away game, so changed the formation for the home one, just as he did against Norwich who also like to play and that worked. I do however understand the 'let them worry about us' mentality.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,898
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1981 View Post
    Thatís utter tripe youíre looking for scapegoats, Donk pretty much did what he was supposed to do kept Mooy quiet and BHA whilst had a lot of possession didnít create much. His performance was no worse than Neves or Moutihno but itís far easier to pick on Donk.
    Vinagre having a rough time but even still will glimpses that heís more than good enough.
    Fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions.
    I wasn't talking about yesterdays game as I haven't seen any of it.
    What I was trying to say was that I don't think either of them are top drawer PL players.
    I stuck up for Doherty and Jota when they were having poor spells and others on here were slagging them.
    I pointed out that Traore and Neto were top quality before either of them had hardly played.
    I don't boo players.
    I hope both Vinagre and Donk prove me wrong, but personally I don't think either of them have got the potential to be anything more than run of the mill squad players.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    17,075
    I've said before that I don't rate Donck in the back 3 in anything other than a needs must situation, but I think he's perfectly fine in a midfield 2 or 3 and thought he was our best outfield player yesterday.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mondas and Telos
    Posts
    14,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Nuno felt we surrendered the midfield to them in the away game, so changed the formation for the home one, just as he did against Norwich who also like to play and that worked. I do however understand the 'let them worry about us' mentality.
    I think that too. We completely played to Brighton's strengths with 352. There were 10 in midfield at times yesterday and our response was inaccurate hoofball.

    We were second best to Norwich until we scored too. Norwich can't defend for toffee 90% of the time? Brighton can. We have a number of tough matches to come. A number of them are away. Sheffield, Burnley ,Chelsea, are all tough visits.

    Everton, Arsenal home games I have confidence that neither will set up like Brighton so we don't have the same issue.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,615
    Yep, Donk did well yesterday, almost played as a forward at times which is a bit wasteful.
    )

  14. #104
    Del Woppio's Avatar
    Del Woppio is online now PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    19,606
    It was noteworthy on my stream that there was collective derision at vinagre in the second half, he did play within himself with the cautious pass back to Saiss quite often, but that was probably because he also got stick for failed take ons in the first. Kid couldn't win unfortunately - have a go and get it wrong, get stick. Play safe and keep the ball, get stick. I know we've had a generally fantastic support during Nuno, but let's face this element has always been pretty big for us, even when we had 17k in the championship, so I'm not having that it's 12k of PL glory hunters. Play well, support is brilliant, play shit, get pelted. That is, and always has been, the molineux way.
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

  15. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    I don't think he had a particularly poor game, no worse than many, but you know how fans are they like to target a scapegoat, thank god MGW wasn't involved
    I agree, he’s also still a young lad and needs encouragement rather than continual moans and groans
    On a positive, when he did have the chance to move forward and nothing was on he at least is developing some maturity in pulling back and retaining possession rather than bombing forward head down with fifteen step overs and leathering the laces out of the ball. In fact on a few occasions he did cross with a little more accuracy and consideration yesterday, so the lad is listening and learning

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wolf View Post
    I agree, he’s also still a young lad and needs encouragement rather than continual moans and groans
    On a positive, when he did have the chance to move forward and nothing was on he at least is developing some maturity in pulling back and retaining possession rather than bombing forward head down with fifteen step overs and leathering the laces out of the ball. In fact on a few occasions he did cross with a little more accuracy and consideration yesterday, so the lad is listening and learning
    Yeah your preaching to the converted on here for the most part, hope his confidence hasn't been too badly knocked. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who want everything and want it now, if they don't get it, they resort to vitriolic outbursts, that goes for life in general not just football
    FJRWolf

  17. #107
    There were too many sub-par performances against a team who had limited ambition. We started the game fairly well but Dan Burr effectively dealt with the cross field ball to Doherty and we don’t seem to be able to do the same ball to left side. There were too many times when a pass needed to be made quicker, or miss out one player when moving the ball from side to side - we gave Brighton too long to get back into shape.

    Personally I think the formation was probably the right one given that Brighton were going to put two banks of four quite deep and Dendoncker is the only midfielder we have that breaks into the box from midfield...but we it was clearly not working at half time and really there should have been a formation change for the second half. I would have replaced Doherty with Traore and either Neto or Podence for Dendoncker and then run at them from deeper...Brighton weren’t going to let us counter attack.

    In the end it was a nothing game that was only ever going to be settled by a set piece or mistake.
    No.

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mondas and Telos
    Posts
    14,087
    Can vinagre play better than that?

    Hell yes

    Did he deserve to be singled out?

    Hell no
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

  19. #109
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Darlaston
    Posts
    8,660
    I'd agree that some of the fans were poor yesterday especially when it came to Vinagre. He didn't have the best game but he wasn't helped by being left isolated a lot of the time and he struggled to get by Bissouma who seemed to always be there. The few times he wasn't Ruben actually beat Montoya and put a few very good crosses in but we didn't finish them off.

    I think it's fair to criticise the performance after the game as long as it's constructive criticism and we weren't great to be honest. We've come a long way under Nuno but we still do need to find a way of playing against teams that aren't expansive, we can't just rely on counter attacking as not all teams will do that. I think the formation made sense but unfortunately several players were below par, Nuno got his subs wrong and we never really looked like we thought we could win and i think that was the most disappointing aspect.

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    OK you chose to do this don't complain

    What a load of myopic bollocks. Its another example of rose tinted glasses . Chelsea, a team acknowledged to be in transition, have had some really poor home results this season yet have taken 21 home points to our 22 with a game less played. They are or have been under a transfer ban. Played the kids, are still in the FA cup , still in Europe just and despite a run of bad form sit in fourth place. They rocked us 5 2 at our place and have won 7 times on the road. But their fans still say there is room for improvement. Which is exactly what I have been saying. 7 draws at home is too many IF you are a top side IF those draws are against your rivals or worse.

    I cannot see how you can claim to " destroyed a point" when its a point you consistently choose to miss.

    To summarise . We are the comeback kings. Its good to have that ability, but better to be ahead first.
    We have been poor in probably 5 of those 7 home draws and lucky in at least two.
    In those draws our shots on target number is, in the main , woeful showing a lack of alternative creativity.
    If we really do want to have a meaningful discussion about breaking into the top six we need to sort out some pretty obvious fallibilities first.

    All that said, its fantastic to be where we are. But we haven't made it ,won anything or reached any finals of meaning. We have a really tough tie in Europe and need to focus on that but in no way can we just ignore some of the real issues about the Brighton game. No one deserved more than 6 and there were plenty of 5 and 4 performances on show.
    Pound for pound Chelsea are more inclined to be top four than us given the quality of player at their disposal but I would see Lampard as potential manager of the season. We are a reasonable forecast for ' best of the rest ' but you cannot underestimate the massive input of Nuno. Without him I think we would be mid-table mediocrity.

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,554
    How to silence the boo boys.

    Timely reminder.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzt9uWNIitg

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    vasilika, evia, greece
    Posts
    10,240
    I am astonished that many of you feel wolves fans were down, or even down right assholes yesterday.
    I have been following Wolves since 1957, and a more fickle, miserable bunch of fans i have not seen yet.
    Look at the town, look at the environment, and if after that you are still surprised wolves fans are a fickle bunch, go see your psychiarist, it is nothing new and as reasonable fans something you just have to live with.
    me.... for some unknown reason i was flat as a fart before the game, did nothing different, but even before kick off i couldn't get to my normal level of pre game excitement.
    so what am i saying...in my head i got what i expected, and at half time opened my book, and i have never , ever done that before.
    we played against a cows arse of a team and no matter how many banjos we had.....well you know the rest.
    done, gone, get over it and as for fickle Wolves fans, stop being surprised and improve your well being.
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Similar Threads

  1. Wolves 0-0 Brighton (shit weíve gone upto 5th) Thread
    By Sniffer Grouse in forum Wolves
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th March 2020, 05:32 PM
  2. QPR 1 - 1 Wolves what a bag of shit verdict thread
    By Paddingtonwolf in forum Wolves
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 25th January 2016, 09:01 AM
  3. Brighton 0 - 0 Wolves Verdict Thread
    By Wolf Hunting in forum Wolves
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 22nd September 2015, 08:56 AM
  4. Brighton v Wolves: Match Thread
    By Kenny in forum Wolves
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 14th March 2015, 04:11 PM
  5. Verdict Thread - Wolves 3 Brighton 3
    By croxdenabbey in forum The Matchday Archive
    Replies: 214
    Last Post: 15th November 2012, 08:30 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •