Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympiacos 1-1 Wolves Verdict Thread

Olympiacos 1-1 Wolves Verdict Thread

We're in pole position for a place in the last eight (if its played).

Didn't make the most of playing against 10 however the Greeks are no mugs.

Chris Iwelumo gives Traore MOTM.

Olympiacos 1-1 Wolves: The Verdict

Edit: Delete this one
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    That was very, very bad.

Thank god we got the away goal basically.

If you read the commentary thread, you'd think we'd lost at home to Wrexham.

Result was fine in the end. Not a great game, but very odd circumstances- thatís twice this season we have played behind closed doors in front of home fans.

Wouldíve hoped Podence would have made more of an impact.
    )

Let's see what next Thursday brings, assuming we are allowed to play. In a decent position in the tie now. Not an amazing performance but a good away job done for me.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Not great to watch but very odd circumstances (without you even consider the lack of a crowd, none of our players or staff even wanted to go) and so you take it.

You have to remember that Olympicaos have been playing European football consistently for 20+ years. This is our first year back in 40. They're no mugs, not a huge amount to worry about going forward but they're no jokers.

Neto had a real impact when he came on. Sadly Raul, Adama and Moutinho weren't on it today but these things happen.

Not having that it was "awful defending" on their goal. If we score that then we're waxing lyrical about the movement and how the cut back goes in the narrowest of gaps. You can pick faults with any goal unless it's a Neves vs Derby effort, I say you give them credit there.

We earned the red card through our own good play and it was to our benefit as they hardly attacked after that.

In control of the tie now and it's up to us (if it goes ahead).

Weird dichotomy on here where the same people who think it's a massive missed opportunity if we don't beat teams like this, win the Europa League, make the Champions League also think all of our players are shit for 90 minutes, every week.

Twitter
    Facebook

I had it down for 2-2 before the game, but it should never have been played, and will Olympiacos suffer for the fans in the stadium, i think not, they will all have been from the Greek coronavirus committee doing live observation. UEFA are a joke,
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    We did okay in pretty exceptional circumstances that made it tricky to play at the levels we know we're capable of.

1-1 is a good result. We've come through a fixture that shouldn't have been played as favourites to progress and I think that's what Nuno and co were hoping for after a ridiculously difficult build up.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Agree about their goal, really well worked and Iím not sure how he picked out his teammate. We didnít do enough in the end but Iíd have taken 1-1 at the start, we can definitely beat these at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    If you read the commentary thread, you'd think we'd lost at home to Wrexham.
    And with the amount of moaning about the ref you'd think people would want VAR to be more involved ?
    I have 2 friends

We can't get into the match thread debate again. It's not worth it.

As I say, we have put ourselves into a good position. I would prefer the tie was dead of course, but we have slight favourite status for next week. My big hope now is that we all get to see it (I suspect it is fifty-fifty at best).
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    That was very, very bad.

Thank god we got the away goal basically.
    What do you think has changed?

Traore's form has dropped off a cliff but we weren't dependent on him. We look devoid of ideas and movement at times and I wonder why that is.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

I'd like us to really give 3-4-1-2 a proper look these next few games, I think it's a decent option and would mitigate some of what we've been seeing with players seemingly out of form

-Traore's not really on it/being quite erratic, not an issue as he goes back to being very decent option off the bench
    -Doc plays better with the entire flank to work with (IMO), fine, frees him up
    -Jota plays better as part of a 2, problem solved
    -Neto (on form) is probably our best player currently - make him the focal point

It could and should be something we're using more, I'm hoping it hasn't been written off or forgotten.

An away draw in Europe at this stage is never bad. Could it have been better, yeah probably, but given everything that's happening at the moment you can't say it's a bad night's work.

The reality is (assuming we go ahead) if we keep a clean sheet we're through.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Let's see what next Thursday brings, assuming we are allowed to play. In a decent position in the tie now. Not an amazing performance but a good away job done for me.
    Exactly.
    These lot knocked Arsenal out, they're no mugs, we've got a draw and an away goal. Take that before kick off.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

It was a poor performance, especially first half which is becoming a theme of late. We played better in the last 20 mins than against Brighton but the numerical advantage helped with that. I wouldn't be happy if I was Nuno put it that way. And he won't be.

Performance aside though it's a decent result after going 1-0 down. It gives us a crucial away goal and a good chance of progressing.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post

Traore's form has dropped off a cliff but we weren't dependent on him. We look devoid of ideas and movement at times and I wonder why that is.
    We've just played 2 sides who gave him fuck all room so I think that's really harsh. Certainly nowhere near as dangerous as we know he can be but most of the time he's feeding off scraps.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.

I can understand Traore’s form dipping, he has improved a lot but not to the level where he can keep it up week in week out IMO.

It’s been two flat performances but I think for different reasons. Today is a bit of a freak one. I can’t imagine us playing like that for a third game running (if Sunday is indeed on).

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    We've just played 2 sides who gave him fuck all room so I think that's really harsh. Certainly nowhere near as dangerous as we know he can be but most of the time he's feeding off scraps.
    He's been poor for a good few games now, but as I said we don't depend on Traore. His decision making and end product isn't good enough IMO. I'd rather we played Neto for a few games to see if it sparks others and brings a different slant on things.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

FFS Joleon wolves actually got to the final, stop saying this is the furthest we've ever gone

Christ sake! Get over this match day thread nonsense. First half was pretty wank by anyone's standards. That was compounded by us conceding. Of course we are going to moan when we don't have a shot on target for an hour and are a goal down to ten men. I defy any teams fans not to be moaning or groaning if you're playing so poorly against ten men. Several were well off it. Again. Just like Brighton.

We were great against ten v Man City. We weren't great against ten v Watford. Neto made the difference and the last twenty was all us. This tie is absolutely alive and the Greeks have European nous. We need to be collectively on our game to progress. Arsenal found out the hard way what these can do.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I’m with Johnny on Traore - he seems to be trying the wildly optimistic option too often, his crossing is very poor too - right now, he is closer to last season’s player than this season’s much-improved version.

Difficult to play our normal counter attacking game when the opposition defend on the edge of their box and have the rest of their players in their own half.
    That's what happened once they went down to ten men.
    Biggest disapointment was conceding the way we did.

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    Not bad defending for the goal? From when Vinagre started his move towards the man near the half way line they turned a 3 on 6 position into having a bloke in acres of space in the middle of the six yard line with an open goal ahead of him

Ponderous on the ball again, very much just find a wide man and hope he can beat three players and dig a cross out. Raul rarely involved in play that built up through the centre of the pitch, apart from our only two decent plays of the game.

I appreciate the circumstances were far from ideal, but until the sending off it didn't seem to bother olympiakos too much, and let's be fair they're not great
    The Formula is dead. Long live The Criteria!

He's been poor for a good few games now, but as I said we don't depend on Traore. His decision making and end product isn't good enough IMO. I'd rather we played Neto for a few games to see if it sparks others and brings a different slant on things.
    Correct. We looked great then until Podence came on.

Still feel we were a bit passive but the away goal is key. Really thought they were decent at 1-2's around our wingbacks and fortunately the red card ended most of their intent.

Neto was good when he came on, should've got an assist for Raul who should've gone across the keeper instead of trying to take his head off, but, foul throws boil my piss.

No professional player should be guilty of them, whether that's Mendy v us last season or Neto just now. It's just the most idiotic, avoidable way to surrender possession. Just fucks me right off for or against us.

Think Vinagre worked hard and tried, think he needs to just keep it simple and hopefully today and Sunday he can restore some confidence but I look forward to Jonny getting back.

Do we think Doc went off tactically? Or knock/booking precaution? Thought the referee was wildly inconsistent. I've loved the refs we've had this season in Europa, a huge improvement on the shite to which we're accustomed but this guy was card happy and then missed challenges harder than those he cautioned players for.

In our hands though, it's all we could've asked for really. Get them back to Molineux and don't do anything stupid and we should be going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Christ sake! Get over this match day thread nonsense. First half was pretty wank by anyone's standards.
    No it wasn't. Two legged tie, first leg away and you primarily set up to keep it tight (which we did as they had no chances in the first half).

It's as if none have you have ever watched European football.

Twitter
    Facebook

I think Traore is doing exactly what Nuno is asking him to do: get to the bye line and cross the ball. His six or seven crosses weren't perfect but they were crosses into tge 18 yard box.
    What came from our left hand side?
    What came from the middle of midfield into Raul's feet?
    We're missing Johnny big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    No it wasn't. Two legged tie, first leg away and you primarily set up to keep it tight (which we did as they had no chances in the first half).

It's as if none have you have ever watched European football.
    Its as if you never seen ten v eleven before! Even Stephen Hunt on sky admitted as much! First half stank the place out.