Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1171

Thread: Just how good were/was/is/are (Wolves Edition)

That free kick against Leeds was magnificent. What a hit.

I'll never tire of watching the ball to Benno either. Perfection. I think pretty much everyone behind the goal knew it was going in as soon as it left his boot.

We finally had a left back when Barry arrived - his goals & assists were a massive bonus as well.

He was what we needed at that time & will always thank him (& Benno) for the joy of the Bristol winner - even the walk back to Temple Meads (& almost getting lost) was an irrelevance.

It was a surprise when we let him go so quickly, but Jonny & Vinagre are an upgrade on him. A good solid pro
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

44. Mark Venus

Mark Venus (born 6 April 1967) is an English football coach and former player. He currently works as assistant head coach of Blackburn Rovers. As a player, he spent the majority of his career with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Ipswich Town. As a coach, he has served as an assistant manager to Tony Mowbray at Hibernian, West Bromwich Albion, Celtic and Middlesbrough.

His career started with his hometown team of Hartlepool United where he signed as a youngster in 1985. After a stay at Leicester City, he signed in 1987 for Wolverhampton Wanderers. Over nearly a decade at Molineux, Venus was an integral part of the club's resurrection after bankruptcy. Playing left back and, occasionally in his preferred position of central defence, Venus helped Wolves to Divisions Four and Three championships.

He joined Ipswich Town in 1997 after being exchanged for Steve Sedgley. With Ipswich Town he won the 1999–2000 First Division play-offs, and then finished 5th in the Premier League, qualifying for the UEFA Cup. Ipswich were relegated in 2001–02, but Venus picked up the club's Player of the Year award. He was given a free transfer by Ipswich Town manager Joe Royle at the end of 2002–03.

Whilst playing for Cambridge United in 2003–04, he fell out with the club and played the rest of that season on loan to Dagenham & Redbridge.

The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I liked Veno. Always gave his all and was competent wherever we played him. Didn't he get sent off in the Bristol game of which you posted the program in the new kit thread? Opening day of the season and I thought that we'd piss the league and we still would have if it wasn't for that pesky Howey.

I thought that Sedgley would be an upgrade but in reality we went sidewards or backwards whereas Veno went onto the Premier League.

He did (ridiculous red card too). I never thought he was all that as a LB, excellent at CH though and did a decent job in midfield too.

The deal when we got rid of him was a scandal, no idea why we did that. Money AND him for Sedgley, say what bro? McGhee was always trying to get rid of him though for some reason, only played in 96/97 as everyone else was injured.

Cracking player. Was still good in the PL for Ipswich years after we let him go. Big time gambler but none of us are saints.

Twitter
    Facebook

He was ok, don’t think he was as good as some say. He gets mythologised a little bit as he is one of the very few players who left us, at the time, and ended up playing at a higher level. Plus he was injured for a long time so was built up a little in people’s minds at the tome.

A good LCB, definitely not an LB and probably not as suitable in a CD 2 either.
    )

Mark Venus, supported local ventures such as the bookmakers in Codsall along with the Bull public house. Also took a charitable day trip for the old bar flys out the pub to Cheltenham. Also supported the local football team by playing for them whilst coming back from injury a fair bit

He was OK as a player, never really did anything for me and always struck me a touch 'agricultural'

I seem to remember Turner towards the end talking about triangles and introducing a passing game. This flummoxed our back line who passed it around a bit amongst themselves until it reached Veno who just proceeded to boot it upfield.

I can only imagine that on an Ipswich forum the subject of him being voted player of the season is brought up with bemusement by certain fans.

I liked Venus, a couple of memorable moments for me include his thunderbastard free kick against Coventry, and a particularly good performance away at Blues where he totally snuffed out Kevin Francis, who was shit, but a very awkward, unusual opponent. He dominated him in the air throughout.

He played Sweeper/central CB for Ipswich didn't he? And performed superbly for them - thus the POTY award. They finished 5th in the league with him a key part of their defence, so he WAS clearly a lot better than the performances suggested whilst at Wolves, we never were very good at getting the best out of our players.

It was clearly an obscene decision to pay money and sell Venus to get Sedgley, especially as Sedgley ended up spending a lot of time doing a worse job in defence for us than Venus would have!

I don’t remember a big hoo-har (if that is how you spell it) about the deal at the time - I think most people thought it was an ok deal, particularly as it was supposed to sort out our powder puff midfield. Shame it all went to shit.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    I don’t remember a big hoo-har (if that is how you spell it) about the deal at the time - I think most people thought it was an ok deal, particularly as it was supposed to sort out our powder puff midfield. Shame it all went to shit.
    Well yeah, that was before we saw Sedg play though, he was largely dreadful for us other than a weird spell when he was scoring Seyi 2 yard tap ins for a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    Well yeah, that was before we saw Sedg play though, he was largely dreadful for us other than a weird spell when he was scoring Seyi 2 yard tap ins for a couple of months.
    I think that was kinda my point, on the face of it it wasn't on obviously bad decision, it practice it turned out shit (see numerous other transfers from the same period)
    )

There's no way Sedgley was worth more than Venus, a straight swap maybe but it was an obviously shit deal.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    There's no way Sedgley was worth more than Venus, a straight swap maybe but it was an obviously shit deal.
    Maybe you were more dialed in to players & their qualities / reputations than me at the time, but it didn't seem an outlandish deal.
    )

About the same age
    Played the same position (except Sedge couldn't fill in at LB)
    Similar profile

What were we supposed to be paying extra for?

Twitter
    Facebook

About the same age
    Similar profile

Sedge's 2 FA cup medals.

About the same age
    Similar profile

I thought he was signing as a CM

I wouldn't say similar profile (at the time) either.
    )

We became good mates after meeting soon after he joined Wolves. Share many a good day/night out. Veno was a good servant and better player than I think he gets credit for. Was also extremely lucky that he was around before phone cameras and social media. Easily led...

Wiki says he was Wolves player of the year in 89-90, have no memory of that! Would have assumed Bully.

A list of our historical POTY awards would make interesting viewing i think. - DW knows them off the top of his head no doubt!

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    Wiki says he was Wolves player of the year in 89-90, have no memory of that! Would have assumed Bully.

A list of our historical POTY awards would make interesting viewing i think. - DW knows them off the top of his head no doubt!
    https://www.myfootballfacts.com/prem...r_of_the_year/

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I can see DW twitching as he reads through that
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Noice!

So Bully only got it for one of the seasons he got 50+ goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    All seem fair to me, especially 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post

Twitter
    Facebook

Did Jimenez win last year? I thought it was Moutinho.

He did, the guy who runs that site is an absolute spoofer.

Twitter
    Facebook

Still though, all these were absolute bollocks. The fuck do our fans watch.

Mutch 1989
    Bennett 1992
    Thompson 1994
    Rankine 1995
    Camara 2004
    Craddock 2010
    Stearman 2015
    Doherty 2016

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
    Did Jimenez win last year? I thought it was Moutinho.
    Raul got the players vote. Mout got the supporters vote

Don't think that site has managed to work out the difference and just picked 1

Still though, all these were absolute bollocks. The fuck do our fans watch.

Mutch 1989
    Bennett 1992
    Thompson 1994
    Rankine 1995
    Camara 2004
    Craddock 2010
    Stearman 2015
    Doherty 2016
    Genuinely more shocked that Bennett won it than Rankine.
    )

I quite liked Tom Bennett. Never nailed down a position which was his problem. Like heck was he our best player that season though.

Twitter
    Facebook