Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 181 to 193 of 193

Thread: Revisiting old albums

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I've been revisiting some classy '80s pop in the last few days. The likes of Talk Talk, Prefab Sprout and The The.

    Not stuff I was particularly into at the time but have grew to love later. Listening now, it's very good stuff. Quality songwriting and often quite experimental.
    Good choices.
    Soul mining/Infected and Swoon were some of my musical teenage loves. Outside the chart stuff I listened to Talk Talk a bit later.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    Good choices.
    Soul mining/Infected and Swoon were some of my musical teenage loves. Outside the chart stuff I listened to Talk Talk a bit later.
    I've had Soul Mining on this morning. It's excellent. The sort of thing I'm appreciating more in my old age.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I've had Soul Mining on this morning. It's excellent. The sort of thing I'm appreciating more in my old age.
    it's the first album i bought. the lyrics are great - they gave a free 12" of perfect with it.

    was the prefab sprout swoon or you went with something later. very talented guy. probably underappreciated.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,897
    Carter USM - 1992 The Love Album

    https://open.spotify.com/album/3CFjJgFTvyADHYLIYCdWEP

    Always thought Carter were a bit under-rated myself. Lyrically, they've got some cracking songs, and brilliant puns within them.
    They open with an instrumental, moving into is wrestling fixed with typical whimsey. The only living boy in new cross hit me like a hammer when I first heard it, and it still does that today. Suppose you gave a funeral and england fly into Do Re Me So Far So Good, and you realise that though fun, this is also an angry record. After the watershed/look mum no hands/(and especially) while you were out confirm the theme. Skywest and crooked wonders where we will go from here, and the impossible dream (tainted to many for obvs reasons) is an outro of hope and optimism.

    Really good punky album this.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burton-On-Trent
    Posts
    44,876
    I only know one Carter USM song and that's The Only Living Boy In New Cross. Which is great.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tipton
    Posts
    16,520
    I loved their Worry Bomb album when I was a teenager . I haven't heard it for about 20 years though, will have to revisit it.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

    Twitter

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,195
    tim's twitter thingy doing the triffids - born sandy devotional tomorrow
    just a great album - the last few tracks on it are killers
    opens with this

    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    67,151
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Carter USM - 1992 The Love Album

    https://open.spotify.com/album/3CFjJgFTvyADHYLIYCdWEP

    Always thought Carter were a bit under-rated myself. Lyrically, they've got some cracking songs, and brilliant puns within them.
    They open with an instrumental, moving into is wrestling fixed with typical whimsey. The only living boy in new cross hit me like a hammer when I first heard it, and it still does that today. Suppose you gave a funeral and england fly into Do Re Me So Far So Good, and you realise that though fun, this is also an angry record. After the watershed/look mum no hands/(and especially) while you were out confirm the theme. Skywest and crooked wonders where we will go from here, and the impossible dream (tainted to many for obvs reasons) is an outro of hope and optimism.

    Really good punky album this.
    Saw Carter in Derby around that time. Really enjoyable gig.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

    1. The Great Wall of China

    2. Low Hill at Christmas

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    67,151
    Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)

    This album was a huge part of my student days. The production by Terry Date was like being kicked in the face for the entire 50 odd minutes, although on listening again now I still find it a bit disappointing that there is a lack of backing guitar tracks to most of Dimebag’s solos. The difference with that included for Mouth for War massively improves everything and raises it to epic, and then it feels like it is missing later in the album.

    Mouth for War is metal saying hello 1990s the Black Album didn’t happen! It’s fierce heavy and harsh. Then you have the rest of side one. A New Level. Walk. Fucking Hostile. This Love. Five simply brutal and brilliant tracks that stand the test of time easily. Listening now the later tracks on the album aren’t quite as punchy. Still excellent but that first twenty minutes is still magnificence.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

    1. The Great Wall of China

    2. Low Hill at Christmas

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    17,630
    Sheriff Fatman was an anthem when I was a student. I saw them at the below gig in '93. They didn't go down well, but it wasn't really their audience.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Sherrif Fatman was an anthem when I was a student. I saw them at the below gig in '93. They didn't go down well, but it wasn't really their audience.
    sheriff fatman and the 101 damnations album were fun. i don't recall that much about them musically after that though i remember they were pretty popular.

    interesting line up. i have some catherine wheel but i've not listened to it in many many years - decades! a shoegazey relative of bruce dickinson
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bilston,jewel of the empire
    Posts
    2,274
    Carter were apparently named after George Carter from the Sweeney,today's fun fact to whip your friends up into a coma
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    17,630
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    sheriff fatman and the 101 damnations album were fun. i don't recall that much about them musically after that though i remember they were pretty popular.

    interesting line up. i have some catherine wheel but i've not listened to it in many many years - decades! a shoegazey relative of bruce dickinson
    It was a fundraiser to try and get XFM a license when the airwaves were opening up. It failed at that point. I went for Cure, but i must have seen The Frank & Walters unintentionally half a dozen times. Them and The High seemed to support everyone around that time.

Similar Threads

  1. Ten Best Albums
    By Hereford Wolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28th April 2020, 11:06 PM
  2. Which 10 Albums...
    By Tyrannosaurus Dan in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 16th July 2019, 05:00 AM
  3. Influential Albums
    By Hereford Wolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 07:35 PM
  4. Underrated Albums
    By Langers in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10th December 2010, 03:25 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •