Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 228

Thread: Revisiting old albums

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,719

    Revisiting old albums

    Listen to an album you used to love but haven't listened to in ages. Do you still love it or has it not aged well? You can review in one word or write a 2,000 word essay - I'm not the boss of you.

    First up for me - The Lemonheads - Come On Feel The Lemonheads



    Got to say it still really does it for me. I'm a sucker for those big sunny melodies and I'd still consider going gay for Evan Dando. Takes me right back to those carefree early '90s days.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northallerton, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    26,532
    Seeing your post, it got me to give a listen to this... Free Peace Suite by Dodgy




    For me it stands up and is as good now as I remember
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    90,418
    Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...em8yXeBtpWfZAA

    It's not bad but I'm not sure I'll ever play it all the way through again.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  4. #4
    machin05's Avatar
    machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    33,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...em8yXeBtpWfZAA

    It's not bad but I'm not sure I'll ever play it all the way through again.
    Ah man, now that's an album I gave a LOT of listens to.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,063
    Cracking idea for a thread! I hope to post a few things on here, having revisited several old albums recently.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QlJnmn8KFJu0st

    actually felt quite suited to the current times. Didn't feel dated to me, and loved re-engaging with an album that 20 years ago (just over) I really loved. Brought back some great memories of friends, including one no longer with us.

    Definitely stood the test of time. I must not leave it alone too much!
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    90,418
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Ah man, now that's an album I gave a LOT of listens to.
    It's very much of its time. I liked it more than I thought I would

    Got another 5-6 at least to add here but I'll spread them out, don't want to spam the thread.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    7,728
    Inspired me to look up The Flat Earth by Thomas Dolby which included this gem that I knew every note of

    Why they will qualify: Nuno Espirito Santo is actually a tactical genius.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    3,094
    Listened to Supertramps live album 'Paris' the other day, felt the need for something a bit mellow......on vinyl too
    FJRWolf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    67,635
    Van Halen - 1984

    It's been a long time since I listened to it but I had a bit of a go when I dropped Hot For Teacher into the lockdown playlist. It's still tremendous.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

    1. The Great Wall of China

    2. Low Hill at Christmas

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    3,072
    Revolting Cocks - Beers, Steers and Queers

    Did not age well.


    I also found some old albums in the loft by Poison. Flesh & Blood, Open Up an Say Ahhh and their first one, which I can't think what it's called. I gave them all a brief listen and F&B was fine but the other two were definitely "What was I thinking?" moments!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burton-On-Trent
    Posts
    45,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...em8yXeBtpWfZAA

    It's not bad but I'm not sure I'll ever play it all the way through again.
    I really like that album too.

    Nearly put some on the Lockdown Playlist.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,719
    The Last In Line by Dio.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=360xvnsduDg

    Teenage me played this record to death when it first came out. I haven't really listened to metal since the end of the '80s so this is a real throwback. Lyrically preposterous with a weird penchant for meteorological phenomena, it'a actually quite fun for the first few tracks but gets a bit samey as it wears on. We Rock and The Last in Line are undeniably great metal tracks though, and I did find myself having a little headbang. RJD does have an amazing voice.
    I'll probably never listen to it again, but I can see what a spotty long-haired youth saw in it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northallerton, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    26,532
    Great idea this SLA... Today's revisited album is Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Finger
    Political punk, what's not to like.
    Jake Burns grew up in violent times and managed to make political points in his lyrics without making religious ones.
    Some absolute belters on here, Suspect Device, Wasted Life, Barbed Wire Love, Johnny Was and Alternative Ulster. White Noise would be frowned upon today I guess but it makes it's point.

    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

  14. #14
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    53,004
    The Killers - Hot Fuss

    My stepdaughter really likes this album and she's recently got it on vinyl so we decided to put it on last night after dinner. I tell you what - it's aged beautifully. With classics like Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me etc, I had forgot about the other tracks which are anything but filler. There aren't any bad tracks on it IMO.

    I remember seeing The Killers just before they released this album when they played the John Peel stage at Glastonbury when I was in my early 20's - they were on the Pyramid Stage 12 months later and everyone knew every word of every track and they oozed charisma on stage.

    Such a shame their follow up album was so bad because this really is a classic. It's kind of cool that my kids also like it completely independently from any influence from me or my other half.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    The Killers - Hot Fuss

    My stepdaughter really likes this album and she's recently got it on vinyl so we decided to put it on last night after dinner. I tell you what - it's aged beautifully. With classics like Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me etc, I had forgot about the other tracks which are anything but filler. There aren't any bad tracks on it IMO.

    I remember seeing The Killers just before they released this album when they played the John Peel stage at Glastonbury when I was in my early 20's - they were on the Pyramid Stage 12 months later and everyone knew every word of every track and they oozed charisma on stage.

    Such a shame their follow up album was so bad because this really is a classic. It's kind of cool that my kids also like it completely independently from any influence from me or my other half.
    Fabulous album that is, not a foot wrong.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,823
    And on that note...

    Whatever you think of them (I think they're awesome!) you don't get The Killers without these fine gentlemen and in particular their first album:

    Duran Duran - Duran Duran (1981)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_k...xpML023sqHidwd

    Every track is great with the weakest by far bizarrely being the one they chose for the first single - Planet Earth. Girls on Film is as good as any pop song ever written but my personal faves are 'Night Boat' and 'Anyone Out There'.

    John Taylor plays bass as well as anyone and the guitars are heavily influenced by the genius that is Nile Rodgers. Nick Rhodes manages to sound like nobody else! It's very much of it's time and yet still sounds fresh today.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    The Killers - Hot Fuss

    My stepdaughter really likes this album and she's recently got it on vinyl so we decided to put it on last night after dinner. I tell you what - it's aged beautifully. With classics like Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me etc, I had forgot about the other tracks which are anything but filler. There aren't any bad tracks on it IMO.

    I remember seeing The Killers just before they released this album when they played the John Peel stage at Glastonbury when I was in my early 20's - they were on the Pyramid Stage 12 months later and everyone knew every word of every track and they oozed charisma on stage.

    Such a shame their follow up album was so bad because this really is a classic. It's kind of cool that my kids also like it completely independently from any influence from me or my other half.
    I was in that tent too...rammed it was. Had seen them play the Fleece in Bristol a few weeks earlier supporting Stellastar. The Killers were briefly brilliant.

  18. #18
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    53,004
    I'm trying to place the year - was that 2004, and then on the main stage in 2005?
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  19. #19
    Jesus Jones - Liquidizer

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ce-bEYI4Og

    Ahead of its time I reckon, got unfairly lumped in with the incessant playing of Unbelievable/EMF back in the day and still stands up as a great album

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    And on that note...

    Whatever you think of them (I think they're awesome!) you don't get The Killers without these fine gentlemen and in particular their first album:

    Duran Duran - Duran Duran (1981)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_k...xpML023sqHidwd

    Every track is great with the weakest by far bizarrely being the one they chose for the first single - Planet Earth. Girls on Film is as good as any pop song ever written but my personal faves are 'Night Boat' and 'Anyone Out There'.

    John Taylor plays bass as well as anyone and the guitars are heavily influenced by the genius that is Nile Rodgers. Nick Rhodes manages to sound like nobody else! It's very much of it's time and yet still sounds fresh today.
    i remember i saw the guy that wrote GoF do a set featuring it at a pub in the late 80s. may have done rio and a couple others as well.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by broughtonwolf View Post
    Jesus Jones - Liquidizer

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ce-bEYI4Og

    Ahead of its time I reckon, got unfairly lumped in with the incessant playing of Unbelievable/EMF back in the day and still stands up as a great album
    Great album. Doubt was excellent too but this one edged it.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    90,418
    Travis - The Man Who

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDQ...Xr-PQKrfFH1Zq9

    Still excellent. They never hit those heights again though, some good tracks later on but never a really complete album that I'd want to listen to regularly. Luv is a sublime track off this album, probably my favourite.

    Fran Healy is The Man Who Got Really Old Really Quickly.



    He's only 46. If I didn't know who he was I'd have him pegged at about 60!
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  23. #23
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    53,004
    Jesus - he looks like Seasick Steve after an intense diet.

    The Man Who is ace - always loved As You Are.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Normanton
    Posts
    21,678
    First band I ever saw live, I'd guess that tour but can't be certain, stuck them on Spotify the other week when I was doing some decorating and their stuff has generally aged pretty well.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,063
    Beth Orton - Trailer Park
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...74OF5CCUKkhuxp

    Ah, Beth Orton. That fabulous voice heard singing Alive/Alone - the last track of the chemical brothers album.
    What a resonant voice on that tune. I listened to this a hell of a lot 1996-2001 approx.
    This was (for me) always her best album. Listening to it now, it has aged really well. Still sounds strong, and simple. That's why it worked first time.
    Used to love listening to it on a sunny day. Will definitely haul this one out again over the summer months of lockdown.
    No real weak tracks. A good full album.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,916
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Beth Orton - Trailer Park
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...74OF5CCUKkhuxp

    Ah, Beth Orton. That fabulous voice heard singing Alive/Alone - the last track of the chemical brothers album.
    What a resonant voice on that tune. I listened to this a hell of a lot 1996-2001 approx.
    This was (for me) always her best album. Listening to it now, it has aged really well. Still sounds strong, and simple. That's why it worked first time.
    Used to love listening to it on a sunny day. Will definitely haul this one out again over the summer months of lockdown.
    No real weak tracks. A good full album.
    Been listening to Beth Orton quite a bit recently, Daybreaker particularly.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5,327
    I've been listening to this today

    Turin breaks - The Optimist LP

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uTsABVxmau3jkQ

    Incidentally one of the best accoustic sets I've seen.

    Used to be on in the car a lot when I was bumming around with mates and reminds me of times with less responsibility and all that other grown up shit you have to deal with

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    67,635
    METALLICA - RIDE THE LIGHTNING

    It would be so damn easy to put Master of Puppets or the Black album in here, or potentially even Justice which was a duff bass production away from majesty (thankfully now sorted in some great remasters), but this is simply my favourite high ground for the Bay Areas finest.

    Title of the album came from Stephen King - Lloyd Henreid in the Stand was told that he was going to get the death penalty and he would ride the lightning. True fact that.

    Tracks

    Fight Fire With Fire - I love this. LOVE IT. Like Kevin Keegan levels. The beautiful acoustic intro and then intense lunacy arrives. At school we used to put it on the walkman to someone who had never experienced metal and then it was like the Darth Vader melted my brain moment from Back to the Future (although we were a year ahead of the curve with that!)

    Ride the Lightning - title track has a staggeringly great solo. For me Kirk's best effort until Dyer's Eve on Justice four years later (shhhh - Mustaine wrote it) Great riff and the finish is superb. I love it.

    For Whom the Bell Tolls - SUPERB. Simple really simple. First of their output I ever learnt to play properly. It's great. Still a live staple virtually every show after 36 years.

    Fade to Black - yes, a thrash band can do a "ballad". It's absolutely perfect for me, bar the fact it has a fade out. That has always annoyed me. Finish it properly in the studio for god's sake! Lyrics are great and the solos are beautifully composed.

    Trapped Under Ice - my secret love on the album. A lot of listeners are not huge fans of the track but for me it is EPIC. Proper fast thrash track with three superb solos and the riff after the second chorus is one of my faves ever. Plus a great shout out crowd bit too.

    Escape - weakest track on the album for me but still has some nice moments. The air raid siren finish is cliche central but it worked in the mid eighties. I love that most of it is in F# rather than E. Muso moment there.

    Creeping Death - DIE! DIE! DIE BY MY HAND. This is a truly stunning track. The verse riff is actually bloody simple but the chord progression in the chorus is sexual. Great solo too.

    Call of Ktulu - a spectacular instrumental. Hard to describe without asking people to listen. The song totally encapsulates HP Lovecraft that it is about. The riffs just make you think of Cthulhu sneaking out of Ry'Leh to properly fuck the world up. And again a great solo. AND THE FINISH IS MASSIVE.

    Overall points - the '84 production is really a love it or hate it thing. It is awash with a ton of reverb. I like that. Others might be less keen.

    One of my favourite pieces of vinyl ever. It always will be.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

    1. The Great Wall of China

    2. Low Hill at Christmas

  29. #29
    machin05's Avatar
    machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    33,306
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWolves View Post
    I've been listening to this today

    Turin breaks - The Optimist LP

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uTsABVxmau3jkQ

    Incidentally one of the best accoustic sets I've seen.

    Used to be on in the car a lot when I was bumming around with mates and reminds me of times with less responsibility and all that other grown up shit you have to deal with


    Superb album. Went to see them live this year, was absolutely brilliant.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I'm trying to place the year - was that 2004, and then on the main stage in 2005?
    Here you go, 2005: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co..../history-2005/

Similar Threads

  1. Ten Best Albums
    By Hereford Wolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28th April 2020, 11:06 PM
  2. Which 10 Albums...
    By Tyrannosaurus Dan in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 16th July 2019, 05:00 AM
  3. Influential Albums
    By Hereford Wolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 07:35 PM
  4. Underrated Albums
    By Langers in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10th December 2010, 03:25 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •