Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisiting old albums

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...em8yXeBtpWfZAA

It's not bad but I'm not sure I'll ever play it all the way through again.
    Bloody awful. Sounds like stuff they used to put on Playstation games.

Quote Originally Posted by broughtonwolf View Post
    Jesus Jones - Liquidizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ce-bEYI4Og

Ahead of its time I reckon, got unfairly lumped in with the incessant playing of Unbelievable/EMF back in the day and still stands up as a great album
    Bloody hell. Competely forget about them. Although EMF definately had far more street cred. Stigma was a superb album - Light that burns twice as bright is great.

Revisiting Sabbath it's been quite a while.

Oh this is just so fucking gorgeous. You're damn right Ozzy could sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiY2JsGXrtM

Been revisiting a lot of albums now I'm working from home.

Yesterdays choice both albums by The Stands, what an amazingly underrated band! Also the Ordinary Boys debut, not aged brilliantly but was a nice nostalgic hit. Forgot how much I was into them off that first album, all went down hill quite rapidly but at the time their early gigs were great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Bloody hell. Competely forget about them. Although EMF definately had far more street cred. Stigma was a superb album - Light that burns twice as bright is great.
    I would have thought it was the other way around. EMF (who I also liked) were very mainstream and lusted after by most of the girls at my school whereas Jesus Jones were more underground and liked by the 'cool' kids.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Quote Originally Posted by Papper View Post
    Bloody awful. Sounds like stuff they used to put on Playstation games.
    Couldn't stand their music and Preston must be one of the biggest bell ends to walk the earth but he's responsible for my favourite bit of TV ever so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Simon Amstell was a smug prick though.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    Couldn't stand their music and Preston must be one of the biggest bell ends to walk the earth but he's responsible for my favourite bit of TV ever so there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI
    Ha I remember watching that at the time. Excellent tv. I miss that show actually
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Doog View Post
    Been listening to Beth Orton quite a bit recently, Daybreaker particularly.
    I've debated revisiting some of her other albums, as none ever lived up to Trailer Park for me. Central Reservation is a great song.
    Which other albums you had on, and how do they stand up?
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Moby - Everything is Wrong

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CRdCoHjk_yT5eR

I have a vague memory of listening to this a fair bit 20 odd years ago. Having blasted it out today, I'm unsure as to whether it was a bit of a fad, or was a staple for 3 months and then consigned to history.

So I listed to both cds (an "underwater" cd was with the album.)

It hasn't dated well. A couple of the tracks are very of their time. Feeling so Real seemed so much better then. As did Every time you touch me. Essentially, side 1 of the album was very meh.
    Side 2 has interesting stuff, with God Moving Over the Face of the Waters still being a completely majestic piece of music.

The underwater cd is just gubbins though. Indulgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    I would have thought it was the other way around. EMF (who I also liked) were very mainstream and lusted after by most of the girls at my school whereas Jesus Jones were more underground and liked by the 'cool' kids.
    Yeah. Maybe you are right on that. Street cred most possibly an incorrect analogy. Screamadelica and Blue Lines blew the lot out the way when they came out. I think great tunes become mainstream regardless.

Pelican West - Haircut 100
    As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease in the UK.A HCID is defined as: 1.Acute infectious disease 2.Typically has a high case-fatality rate 3.May not have effective prophylaxis or treatment 3.Often difficult to recognise & detect rapidly 4.Ability to spread in the community & within healthcare settings 5.Requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely.

Moon Safari by Air.

I remember listening to this a lot when it came out. Dear God, it's bland. Plinky plonky, emotionless and without any sort of edge whatsoever. A couple of nice tunes in there but nothing that would make me go back to it again. File with Dido in the Music for Dinner Parties with People Who Really Don't Like Music section.

The Sound - Jeopardy

Not played it for decades - but still really like it.
    I used to play this and The Vapours all the time!
    We never lose. We either win or we learn.

Ah. Having that age old argument on the work WhatsApp this morning.

Oasis v Blur.

I'm on the side of Blur all day long. Though Noel is a brilliant songwriter and I like plenty of Oasis songs, Blur were just much more talented and musically diverse.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Ah. Having that age old argument on the work WhatsApp this morning.

Oasis v Blur.

I'm on the side of Blur all day long. Though Noel is a brilliant songwriter and I like plenty of Oasis songs, Blur were just much more talented and musically diverse.
    At the time - Oasis. Looking back, Blur were the better musicians and their later output was better than Oasis'.

An entertaining 2-2 draw for me, Jeff.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Wolf View Post
    The Sound - Jeopardy

Not played it for decades - but still really like it.
    I used to play this and The Vapours all the time!
    yep. i may give jeopardy a go today while i'm working!
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    At the time - Oasis. Looking back, Blur were the better musicians and their later output was better than Oasis'.

An entertaining 2-2 draw for me, Jeff.
    i was bored with oasis by their second album - liked the first one a lot at the time

blur always seemed to me to be more eclectic, befitting of a band named after a Wire track.
    though i don't have anything by them some of what i have heard over the years does remind me of Wire in Chairs Missing mode, though no doubt they haven't plagiarised the riffs as blatantly as albarn's girlfriend did.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Wolf View Post
    The Sound - Jeopardy
    Hereford, From the same era tell me this never got you up jiving

Why they will qualify: Nuno Espirito Santo is actually a tactical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Moon Safari by Air.

I remember listening to this a lot when it came out. Dear God, it's bland. Plinky plonky, emotionless and without any sort of edge whatsoever. A couple of nice tunes in there but nothing that would make me go back to it again. File with Dido in the Music for Dinner Parties with People Who Really Don't Like Music section.
    this made me smile. it's like as a kid when we had little cash so any album purchase was risky and you end up trying to like something no matter how bad it was. then your mates tell you it's no good so you carry on buying stuff by that band to prove them wrong, but deep in your heart you know it's shite.

i have about 10 records by Play Dead

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    this made me smile. it's like as a kid when we had little cash so any album purchase was risky and you end up trying to like something no matter how bad it was. then your mates tell you it's no good so you carry on buying stuff by that band to prove them wrong, but deep in your heart you know it's shite.

i have about 10 records by Play Dead
    Yeah, I had a Music Magpie clear out of CDs a couple of years ago. Boxes and boxes of absolute dreck that I must have convinced myself was good at the time. I think a lot of it was buying an album on the strength of one good song, that turned out to the only good song.
    I have probably spent more money on bad records than good ones over the years.

Moon Safari by Air.

I listened to this also quite recently, and have to say I agree so much with this. The memory is definitely better than the actuality in this case. Seem to recall quite liking this album at the time. I wouldn't quite go as far as your last line, but longevity ain't there.

Zero 7 - Simple Things.

Quite a relaxed album choice. Briefly, this chillout "classic" was everywhere.
    They never hit the same highs imo. Listening back, the singles are (for me) amongst the weaker tracks. Give It Away always used to be my fave, and it still feels a good track. Red Dust has improved with age, and to be fair, the last 4 tracks are a lovely arrangement to end an album.
    For me, their instrumentals are far and away their better legacy.
    It's decent, but not essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hereford, From the same era tell me this never got you up jiving

Now that's a tune,used to send our old drinking gang absolutely mental
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Beth Orton - Trailer Park
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...74OF5CCUKkhuxp

Ah, Beth Orton. That fabulous voice heard singing Alive/Alone - the last track of the chemical brothers album.
    What a resonant voice on that tune. I listened to this a hell of a lot 1996-2001 approx.
    This was (for me) always her best album. Listening to it now, it has aged really well. Still sounds strong, and simple. That's why it worked first time.
    Used to love listening to it on a sunny day. Will definitely haul this one out again over the summer months of lockdown.
    No real weak tracks. A good full album.
    Warren - glad you posted this - never heard of her, but thought Id give it a go, and my ears approve muchly.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Zero 7 - Simple Things.

They never hit the same highs imo. Listening back, the singles are (for me) amongst the weaker tracks. Give It Away always used to be my fave, and it still feels a good track. Red Dust has improved with age, and to be fair, the last 4 tracks are a lovely arrangement to end an album.
    Superb choice mate. Love this album.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawolf View Post
    Warren - glad you posted this - never heard of her, but thought Id give it a go, and my ears approve muchly.
    Central Reservation from her is also really worth a listen.

Zero 7 - Simple Things.

A brilliant album, but like you say works best as an album. Used to listen to it a lot at uni, was very much of its time and place for me then - hadnt come back to it again until last year and then started to enjoy it again.
    )

Moon Safari by Air.

100% this. Very much the must have album of the time. I had the misfortune to see them at Finsbury Park when they supported New Order. Dreadful.

Oasis produced some shite after the underrated Be Here Now but Blur made The Great Escape. They also got Damien Hirst to direct the Country House video. The prosecution rests.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawolf View Post
    Warren - glad you posted this - never heard of her, but thought I’d give it a go, and my ears approve muchly.
    Glad you're enjoying it matey. Beth is a lovely artist, and Tredders is right, Central Reservation is a good album. The Best Bit EP is also nice, with Terry Callier.