Thread: Lockdown and wildlife

Lockdown and wildlife

Its been far more pleasant of late to open the back door & just get birdsong rather than road noise.

Had a sparrowhawk in the front garden 2 days ago (no more than 10 ft away) devouring a dove that it had caught & killed (vicious beak those things have)

Wanted a photo but was inside at the time & knew that if I went out it would fly off. Have leaded light windows at the front so needed to try & open the furthest window & put the camera on close up. Didn't work as it clearly has eyesight like, well a hawk I suppose.

Flew off taking it's prey with it.

The natural world is taking over again!
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

I've been putting mealworms out for the Robins. Every morning I see 3 waiting for me. Had to change the position of the dish because of Magpies, so now balance it in the crook of two branches of a tree. They come right up close to me now and are used to seeing me. Tomorrow I start holding the dish in my hand

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    I've been putting mealworms out for the Robins. Every morning I see 3 waiting for me. Had to change the position of the dish because of Magpies, so now balance it in the crook of two branches of a tree. They come right up close to me now and are used to seeing me. Tomorrow I start holding the dish in my hand
    Stand still long enough & they will come down and feed - need to be absolutely certain that you are no threat.

Luckily, living in the wilds I have lots of wildlife to enjoy

Pair of woodpeckers
    Ring necked doves
    Great blue and coal tits
    Pheasants!
    A back yard stoat!
    Red kite
    Sparrowhawk, the bastard
    Buzzards
    And in the opposite field the rarer honey buzzard
    Barn owls at night leave pellets in the back garden

Wrens, pigeons, sparrows, starlings its a regular morning cacophony
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Its been far more pleasant of late to open the back door & just get birdsong rather than road noise.

Had a sparrowhawk in the front garden 2 days ago (no more than 10 ft away) devouring a dove that it had caught & killed (vicious beak those things have)

Wanted a photo but was inside at the time & knew that if I went out it would fly off. Have leaded light windows at the front so needed to try & open the furthest window & put the camera on close up. Didn't work as it clearly has eyesight like, well a hawk I suppose.

Flew off taking it's prey with it.

The natural world is taking over again!
    Same happened here except I did manage to get a photo. I've been keeping my binoculars and camera on my desk while working from home, so that helped.

IMG_0663as3.jpg

Latest activity is that a pair of woodpigeons have chosen our back fence as the ideal venue for a quick (and it is quick) shag.

Pair of bats in the garages over the back. They get really close to us standing outside. First time I've seen them fly properly, amazing speed and agility. Too bloody hard to photograph or video.

I love sitting outside in our garden in the twilight, watching the Bats fly
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Doog View Post
    Same happened here except I did manage to get a photo. I've been keeping my binoculars and camera on my desk while working from home, so that helped.

IMG_0663as3.jpg

Latest activity is that a pair of woodpigeons have chosen our back fence as the ideal venue for a quick (and it is quick) shag.
    Brilliant shot - had the camera ready but needed a clear line of sight so had to open the window. First time I looked out thought that it was two pigeons having a shag so probably missed the opportunity to get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Doog View Post

IMG_0663as3.jpg

Great shot DD

image.jpg

Damn right natures taking over,saw this the other night while at work
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Brilliant shot - had the camera ready but needed a clear line of sight so had to open the window. First time I looked out thought that it was two pigeons having a shag so probably missed the opportunity to get the picture.
    This one stayed there for a good 10 minutes, I just had the window open far enough to poke the lens through.

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    image.jpg

Damn right natures taking over,saw this the other night while at work
    Lolz.Twat
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

For the past week I have spent too much time watching a family of squirrels learning how to run around tree branches in the trees at the bottom of the garden. More than once I've seen one of the babies fall out the tree. Hardy little so and so's manage to get back up there though.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Anyone else noticed the dawn chorus seems louder lately, little buggers woke me up this morning. Got up, sat outside with a cup of tea listening to the different songs. Quite lovely

Another thing I've noticed, where have all the butterflies gone in UK. Only seem to see those Cabbage White ones in my garden.

think it is more a case of less background noise, so you're more able to hear the dawn chorus ppb.
    also, have seen a few butterflies out over the past couple of weeks.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Another thing I've noticed, where have all the butterflies gone in UK. Only seem to see those Cabbage White ones in my garden.
    Probably due to land change use damaging their natural environment.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Plant a buddlia,butterflies love them
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Plant a buddlia,butterflies love them
    Have a buddlia that I moved from the middle of the lawn to the back of the garden (was in a totally innapropriate place otherwise).

Looked as if it might die, which was always a risk, but has recovered & now doubled in size - & yes butterflies really congregate there.