Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aston Vile 0 v 1 Wolves - The Verdict Thread

From the outside Grealish seems a classic big fish in a small pond (not so much the club but the talent around him)

He wants to be the centre of attention, which is great when things are going well. Not so much when it's going pear-shaped.

One way or another it'll be interesting to see how he does with better players around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    It's even more cute that they think they'll get £80m for him and that £50m would be terrible business. I don't get the love in with him myself, he'll be washed up within three years.
    I think most supporters probably overvalue their "star" players.

The comparison to AWB is nuts, though. Different positions, completely different players, Palace weren't relegated last season, AND Wan-Bissaka was massively better last season than Grealish has been this season.

The Jack Grealish motto: "Win fouls, not matches".
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Smith is own worst enemy though Tony. Thought that he could compete playing open football and has waited too long to adopt a more cautious approach. By doing so now they carry little threat and time is running out for them.
    I think it's a number of things.

The first point is true, he did exactly the same at Brentford when he came to Molineux in the Championship winning season. You aren't going to out football better teams that often in the PL, but given his style of play you should be either sacking him in the Summer or buying players who suit his system. They did neither and signed two duds at centre forward.

I think Grealish is less of a help and more of a hindrance now. He's talented and their best player, but I don't know how you can try and set a team up tactically in a relegation battle with one player going anywhere on the pitch. I said at half time he reminds me of Autumn 2015 Afobe, Rooney under Moyes at Utd is another one. If he'd played behind the forwards or drifted wide from there he has the ability to hurt teams, picking the ball up outside your own box isn't going to do that. I doubt that's the plan, he needs putting back in his box

we let villa have the ball in their third, and a bit in the middle of the park. we effectively warmed up for the first half hour.
    On around 40 mins each game, we seem to all move forward. We press, and look for a chance to go in 1-0 at half time. Although it hasn't worked, it means the ball is usually away from our goal.
    We all know how we improve our performance in the 2nd half.

When they had the ball, I didn't feel villa were too bad, albeit they never looked like creating a proper goal scoring opportunity. I know I'm i a minority here, but I'd rather they stay up than bournemouth, west ham, or watford.

Jonny - what a fucking baller! I love him, and have felt he is under appreciated sometimes. Top quality today!
    I cannot split motm between him and Dendocker personally. Both were superb.

noticeable how in possession we move as a team. Everyone around the ball moves forward 10 yards when we are in possession.

Last point, now we're tighter defensively, the only wa most teams are likely to score against us is an extremely quick counter. We're so good at getting back.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Yes, Dendoncker and Jonny definitely the standouts. Another lacklustre performance from Jota, which is concerning.

Nuno seems absolutely convinced we're not going to concede. Those changes reduced our probability of goals a great deal -- showed some belief that we wouldn't need any.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonby's Games Gone By View Post
    Yes, Dendoncker and Jonny definitely the standouts. Another lacklustre performance from Jota, which is concerning.

Nuno seems absolutely convinced we're not going to concede. Those changes reduced our probability of goals a great deal -- showed some belief that we wouldn't need any.
    Don't think he was lackluster at all. Things not quite coming off for Jota at the moment but even when things don't come off in an attacking sense for him he's dogged and runs his bollocks off for the team

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Don't think he was lackluster at all. Things not quite coming off for Jota at the moment but even when things don't come off in an attacking sense for him he's dogged and runs his bollocks off for the team
    Agree, lacklustre is very harsh, he is working hard and trying his 'stuff' but not quite coming off. He tends to try things that are difficult and high risk, often it doesn't work but when it does, its fantastic
    FJRWolf

Maybe Jota should have scored when the keeper threw the ball out like a hand grenade, but he reacted before the villa defence had even moved.

Jota stays in the team for me, when he's on it he's unstoppable

Jota should defintely have scored when Nyland gave it to him but he went for power in the top corner instead of just curling it home. It was a bad miss but again Jota was being Jota, everywhere on the pitch making himself a nuisance and generally playing quite well overall. Now way I'd be dropping him just because he's not scoring (it would be nice if he did), if he starts to play shit then yeah by all means but he's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    I can't stand Mings, but I'll actually give him some credit for the fact he handled Raul quite well today (especially playing most of the game on a yellow card). It hasn't been mentioned on here yet, but he forced Nuno in to a change (which funnily enough helped us in the end), but when Traore came on, Raul moved over to the left away from Mings, Traore sat on him instead - and within 5 minutes of that happening Raul had more space then he had for the rest of the match and it allowed him to play the ball in to Jonny which resulted in our goal. Mings was stuck to Raul like glue all afternoon until the substitution and I think it's only fair to say (apart from the assault on Jota for the card) he actually played well. It's quite telling, though, what kind of player he is generally - as on one occasion the ball was played down the channel to Raul & Mings was going across to challenge him from behind - you could audibly hear one of his teammates shout "stand him up, you're on a yellow!".

Grealish is their shining star, but also their biggest problem. In a side fighting relegation, you need a solid system, a style of play and you need to stick together. He roams around the pitch like the only thing that matters is him - thanks to the commentating team on BT sport by the way for pointing out his new hairtcut twice in the first 5 minutes, I'd have had no idea otherwise. Smith hasn't got a clue how to get Grealish on the ball in dangerous areas - whilst keeping his side in an organised shape. It will be one of the reasons they go down - the other being they have far too many average players. Their two centre forwards, for example, would do well to score 10 combined goals in the Championship.

On us, Johnny MOTM. Criminally underrated (same as most of our backline TBF). Superb turn at the start of the move for our goal - sent McGinn to the shops. Superb run forward, did well to bring it down and set up Donk. He did a couple of cheeky little backheels. His pressing is invaluable to the way we play - Woppio is an idiot for suggesting we took him off in the matchday thread - that lad knows nothing about football. Stick to Smule, you Marcus Brigstocke look-a-like gimp. Also love the fact that Jonny just does everything with zero fuss. If he gets fouled or thinks a decision goes against him harshly, he just shrugs it off and gets on with it - a proper professional with an excellent attitude and workrate. Speaking of workrate, Donk... what a fantastic option for us to have in the squad. I think today is the first time I heard him talk and he seemed really down to earth and likeable. Exactly what you'd expect from one of our players. Also, what a finish that was. A brilliant goal worthy of winning the match.

I agree with the comments that have said we are a very professional side - but I'm personally not convinced with the "get a goal and then keep it tight" tactic, even if it's worked against three very poor teams this week. Anything can happen in football - an own goal, a freak mistake (their keeper throwing it straight to Diogo today is a good example), a dodgy penalty, a wondergoal for the opposition etc. We fully had it in us to score more goals today (and midweek) to make things a bit more comfortable - and we still haven't properly slapped a side yet (scoreline wise). I completely trust Nuno and the lads and their game management is fantastic - but at 1-0 I'm never comfortable!

Anyway, as the song goes in the popular Twitter video doing the rounds, the Villa are going down, down, down, down, dooooown.

Cannot wait to see where our season takes us - the sky is the limit.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Thing is today, you would have expected Villa to go for it, especially when we took the lead. So the tactic would have been keep it tight and use Traore, Doc etc to hit them in the spaces they created but they never did. So we didn't have to do anything and pointless us stretching the game and creating opportunities for them.

Villa made it so simple for us to manage that game in the last 15-20 mins. Shameful from a club apparently fighting to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Thing is today, you would have expected Villa to go for it, especially when we took the lead. So the tactic would have been keep it tight and use Traore, Doc etc to hit them in the spaces they created but they never did. So we didn't have to do anything and pointless us stretching the game and creating opportunities for them.
    Bang on. It was like they knew they were going to lose so just didn't bother doing anything so neither did we as it was won.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Bang on. It was like they knew they were going to lose so just didn't bother doing anything so neither did we as it was won.
    More a case they are clueless and thought that all they needed to do was keep lumping it forward. That free kick in the 94th min summed them up.

I know Smith is under pressure but his post match comments are delusional at best, "we were the better team first half" really? 'we more than matched a top 6 side" "we missed our chances and the Wolves goal was out of nothing" no wonder your side is shit and you're going down ya nobber
    FJRWolf

He used the we've only had 48hrs between games so not really had chance to rest properly,WM presenters comeback was that was wolves 52nd game of the season and they looked a lot fitter
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    'Lacklustre' as in lacking shine, not lacking effort. Fair enough, though: I could have been less ambiguous.

It's surprising to me that Jota isn't more consistent given that he never fails to put a shift in.

What I find most impressive about the three games we have played against lowly placed teams is that, in previous seasons and before the enforced break even, we would have had trouble breaking down such teams, often giving away the first goal. Now we have moments of briliiance, score, then shut the opposition down with aplomb. It may not make a spectacle but it is the stuff of which champions are made. I'm so impressed with how we control games while staying in second gear. That will change as the stakes get higher but I can't wait to see how far Wolves can go this season. Their altogether team shape and efficiency fills me with considerable hope.

I asked the question before the restart whether playing behind closed doors would suit the teams with better quality technical players and good coaching and I think so far this has proved to be the case
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gonby's Games Gone By View Post
    'Lacklustre' as in lacking shine, not lacking effort. Fair enough, though: I could have been less ambiguous.

It's surprising to me that Jota isn't more consistent given that he never fails to put a shift in.
    As I said earlier I think its to do with him never taking the easy option, always tries to take on the difficult option and I assume this is what Nuno wants otherwise he wouldn't do it. Having said that, if I have one small criticism of Jota (and Jiminez) is that their decision making could improve
    FJRWolf

Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57 when the league finishes in May 2023...

Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    I asked the question before the restart whether playing behind closed doors would suit the teams with better quality technical players and good coaching and I think so far this has proved to be the case
    It's a natural leveller.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Deeley View Post
    I can't stop watching that. That would have broken me in two.

Shame it wasn't followed by a smile and a wink

I can't stop watching that. That would have broken me in two.
    Me too. Love the way Mings goes down in stages - and the expression on his face
    Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57 when the league finishes in May 2023...

Think he might have added a little bit of effort there because of the wink.
    )

Double over Villa

To go with double over West Ham
    And double over Bournemouth
    And double over Norwich.

Safe to say we are putting the chaff away this season

Plus a double over Manchester fucking City was just a joy.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Norwich squeezing an extra half hour out of Man U is no bad thing either.

Let's hope Brighton are at their spoilery best on Tuesday.

I should point out that my FOUR goals was obviously wrong. It was from taking the field against Liverpool 0n 23 January

Wolves 1 Liverpool 2
    Manchester United 0 Wolves 0
    Wolves 0 Leicester 0
    Wolves 3 Norwich 0
    Spurs 2 Wolves 3
    Wolves 0 Brighton 0
    West Ham 0 Wolves 2
    Wolves 1 Bournemouth 0
    Villa 0 Wolves 1

That's mental

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Double over Villa

To go with double over West Ham
    And double over Bournemouth
    And double over Norwich.

Safe to say we are putting the chaff away this season

Plus a double over Manchester fucking City was just a joy.
    Remarkable stuff . Only Liverpool have doubled more I think
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

I wonder if City might be close. I hadn't thought of that point actually Cyber.

2. Low Hill at Christmas