Page 3 of 266 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Cheers Toon. I think the purpose of him insisting on an Xbox is to play his mate online, so i think that's the route i'll have to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by wombourne wolves View Post
    Cheers Toon. I think the purpose of him insisting on an Xbox is to play his mate online, so i think that's the route i'll have to go down.
    No problem, mate. Just be aware when playing online he may encounter some right dodgy characters- I mean, Langdale's on there for a start...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    No problem, mate. Just be aware when playing online he may encounter some right dodgy characters- I mean, Langdale's on there for a start...
    I'll have to make sure he's supervised at all time then.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I have both, so here is a few plus points for each:

Xbox:

Cheaper. And the new models FINALLY have inbuilt wireless and a decent HDD size
    Xbox Live > PSN

PS3:

A better 'media hub'
    Blu-Ray
    PSN may be inferior, but it is free.

In terms of actual games, there really isn't anything in it, and is down to personal preference. Obviously, you get exclusives for each system - there are some brilliant 'exclusives' for both systems. Personally, the PS3 JUST wins it for exclusives as it has Uncharted - but that's not really any use for a young 'un. As it's for your lad, then have a quick look at LittleBigPlanet which is also a PS3 exclusive. Very addictive, and brilliant for kids.

Personally, if I didn't have either, I'd be going for the Xbox with at least a 100GB hard drive. You can get some absolute steals nowadays though. Check out HotUKDeals every so often. THIS is a very decent deal.

Both are brilliant machines.

Don't get a Wii. They're gimmicky and the novelty soon wears off.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Nothing compared to the disgraceful language you would come out with if Wombourne's lad thrashed you at FIFA. Which he probably would, because you are to gaming what James Corden is to the world of comedy.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by wombourne wolves View Post
    I'll have to make sure he's supervised at all time then.
    In all seriousness, the Xbox does have a very good parental control system, so if there's something you're not sure about him playing (or hearing) you can easily stop him from being exposed to him. With online play, it works out a lot cheaper to buy a 12 month xbox live sub from eBay. You get sent a code which you input into the console when prompted and that's it. Costs around 27 if you know where to look.

Just shout if you need any advice on the best places to go.

Cheers for that Langdale.

As for the Wii, too late mate, the missus invested in one a few years ago when she thought Wii fit was the answer to all her problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    Nothing compared to the disgraceful language you would come out with if Wombourne's lad thrashed you at FIFA. Which he probably would, because you are to gaming what James Corden is to the world of comedy.
    That hurts, man. Not cool...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

That hurts, man. Not cool...
    You mock my cyber-nerdness, you have to accept severe jip, my friend.

You mock my cyber-nerdness, you have to accept severe jip, my friend.
    But a comparison to that useless tub of blubber, Corden? There's a line, my friend, and you crossed it...

But a comparison to that useless tub of blubber, Corden? There's a line, my friend, and you crossed it...
    Whales have blubber. I find your disgraceful pigeon holing of those majestic ocean dwelling mammals offensive.

Black Ops Team Deathmatch: Summit

Toon will probably hate this, Jinky will probably love it!

I love it.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
    Bloomin' hell Kenny, you're either the Stig, or playing on the fisher price level.
    Somewhere in the middle, so a Fisher Price Stig!

Finished my 2nd season and finished 3rd in a Virgin (that sounds wrong!!) After a brilliant win in the final race of the season I had contract offers showering down on me, except from Virgin as they got stroppy when I turned down a $10.5m 1 year contract!. I am now the number 2 driver at McLaren with Lewis pretending to be the number one. 2 races, 2 wins. Lewis 2nd and 4th.

October 22nd 2010- also known as New Vegas day...

October 22nd 2010- also known as New Vegas day...
    It got a surprisingly low score on CVG - 8.1 out of 10. Weird because it's supposed to be the same as Fallout 3.

I think people who loved Fallout 3 will love New Vegas.

It got a surprisingly low score on CVG - 8.1 out of 10. Weird because it's supposed to be the same as Fallout 3.

I think people who loved Fallout 3 will love New Vegas.
    Other reviews I've seen have been 9/10 and 5 stars. I think CVG's low(ish) score could be because it is really more of the same, especially in terms of game engine. Also, it has an annoying crash bug, but that is going to be fixed by a opening day patch. Possibly this has had an effect on the mark?

I know I am way behind you avid gamers but finally got every acheivement on Bioshock (except the extra one in the patch about completing the whole game on hard without dying). Quietly chuffed.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I know I am way behind you avid gamers but finally got every acheivement on Bioshock (except the extra one in the patch about completing the whole game on hard without dying). Quietly chuffed.
    Impressive! I haven't got them all- I haven't found all the diaries for a start! It's things like this make the word 'Achievement' mean something...

Maps for Black Ops unveiled:
    Array
    Snow covered landscape. Good medium to long range fighting.
    Size: Large

Crack
    Streets of Vietnam. Well balanced for Search & Destroy.

Crisis
    Cuban base. Epic indoor and outdoor battles.
    Size: Medium

Firing range
    Military practice facility. Hectic Domination games.
    Size: Small

Grid
    Russian power grid. Plenty of tactical spots for fighting.

Hanoi
    NVA prison camp. Excellent for Headquarters matches.

Havana
    Cuban city. Filled with tactical street fights.

Jungle
    Jungle warfare. Great vertical gameplay.

Launch
    Huge space launch facility. Perfect for any game mode.

Nuketown
    Nuclear testing grounds. Fast-paced action on a small map.
    Size: Small

Radiation
    Fully operating plant. A well balanced map for any play style.

Summit
    Research facility on a snowy mountain. Fight from all angles.

Villa
    Urban estate. Good corridors for long range firefights.

WMD
    An old Soviet base. Intense Capture the Flag matches.
    Havana and Crisis interest me as I've been to Cuba. Cannot WAIT to play this.

Impressive! I haven't got them all- I haven't found all the diaries for a start! It's things like this make the word 'Achievement' mean something...
    I had a good walkthrough to give me tips but it still was bloody challenging - I nearly missed two diaries when I was building the big daddy suit and had to go back several levels before entering the proving grounds because I had one weapon power-up missing. I love the ending if you save all the little sisters. A truly magnificent game. Mood-wise it is so dark and claustrophobic. Now to pick up Bioshock 2 and try and complete that before I get infinite.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

I had a good walkthrough to give me tips but it still was bloody challenging - I nearly missed two diaries when I was building the big daddy suit and had to go back several levels before entering the proving grounds because I had one weapon power-up missing. I love the ending if you save all the little sisters. A truly magnificent game. Mood-wise it is so dark and claustrophobic. Now to pick up Bioshock 2 and try and complete that before I get infinite.
    In many respects, I think Bioshock 2 is better than the first, though it doesn't do a lot different. It felt bigger, it felt more intuitive (you can fire plasmids and weapons pretty much simultaneously) and it felt like it provided more moral dilemmas. The moments where you have to defend your little sister are really brilliant and intense. There are more difficult fights (the Big Sisters and Brute Splicers are tough). You'll love it, I guarantee...

incinerate 3 and a steel tip crossbow bolt at the same time????? that would be nuclear!!!
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

incinerate 3 and a steel tip crossbow bolt at the same time????? that would be nuclear!!!
    There's a spear gun in 2- using Telekinesis to hold a splicer up in the air and then fire the spear gun so it impales them onto the nearest wall is pretty damned fun...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
    Looks great. Better than MW2, no question. If the single player lasts longer than about half an hour, I'll definitely buy it...

Looks great. Better than MW2, no question. If the single player lasts longer than about half an hour, I'll definitely buy it...
    I wouldn't pin your hopes on the single player mate. It sounds better than MW2, but I wouldn't expect a long campaign mode. They'll have concentrated on the multiplayer.

The most pleasing thing about the multiplayer is that they seem to have listened to the community. Drop shots are really annoying, so that 'diving' feature is a good way to stop them.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on the single player mate. It sounds better than MW2, but I wouldn't expect a long campaign mode. They'll have concentrated on the multiplayer.

The most pleasing thing about the multiplayer is that they seem to have listened to the community. Drop shots are really annoying, so that 'diving' feature is a good way to stop them.
    Yeah, I expect the single player to be short. Still, it looks a good game overall. I think the fact that it is made by Treyarch who did World at War is a good thing. I know you disagree but I definitely think World at War, whilst not as polished as MW2, was a much, much better gaming experience. I still play it regularly, months and months after ditching MW2.

Yeah, I expect the single player to be short. Still, it looks a good game overall. I think the fact that it is made by Treyarch who did World at War is a good thing. I know you disagree but I definitely think World at War, whilst not as polished as MW2, was a much, much better gaming experience. I still play it regularly, months and months after ditching MW2.
    Oh WaW is a GREAT game. No arguments there. Though the single player sucked - what the fuck was it with those never-ending 'nades???!

I can see why people prefer WaW to MW2 though. Hopefully Black Ops will blow them both out of the water - I'm pretty confident it will.

Oh WaW is a GREAT game. No arguments there. Though the single player sucked - what the fuck was it with those never-ending 'nades???!

I can see why people prefer WaW to MW2 though. Hopefully Black Ops will blow them both out of the water - I'm pretty confident it will.
    Grenades in single player WaW were so annoying! That's why I never completed it on the hardest difficulty, I seemed to always die under a barrage of the things...

As for Black Ops, if it combines the polish of MW2 with the superb multiplayer gameplay of WaW (without allowing the hacking of the 10th prestige mode), it will indeed be a superb game...