Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243
Results 7,261 to 7,290 of 7290

Thread: The Music Thread Strikes Back

  1. #7261
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Oh lord, gonna have to do that this weekend.

    I have lemon jellys debut album, which used to go for around £200. I have a couple of their early EPs too.

    I have that NIN on vinyl (with the 7").
    I have the pure cult 4LP box (2 live records). I also have the pink floyd pulse vinyl box. Dunno if its value dropped, as there has been a recent re-release.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  2. #7262
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    top ten vinyls i have based on discogs Max value (essentially some mug on discogs paid a silly amount to get a copy )
    in no particular order:

    Lemon Jelly ‎– Lost Horizons
    Lemon Jelly ‎– The Yellow EP
    Spiritualized ‎– Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    Sasha And John Digweed ‎– Northern Exposure
    Mogwai ‎– Young Team
    Lemon Jelly ‎– The Midnight EP
    Lemon Jelly ‎– Lemonjelly.ky
    Pink Floyd ‎– Pulse
    Aphex Twin ‎– Drukqs
    Emma ‎– Free Me

    I have a pic disc of Ten by Pearl Jam I was convinced would be on the list, but no-one has ever sold one.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  3. #7263
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    in no particular order:

    Emma ‎– Free Me

    I have a pic disc of Ten by Pearl Jam I was convinced would be on the list, but no-one has ever sold one.
    bunton? nice
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  4. #7264
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    This just popped up in my Spotify feed. I've not heard it before. A lovely trippy tribute to famous English cricketers.


  5. #7265
    Jinky's Avatar
    Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just outside of Oxford
    Posts
    25,798
    I think the most expensive records I have are original Pink Floyd releases that I inherited from my dad. I also have a couple of original David Bowie, Beach Boys & Elvis records that will be worth something, along with the following -

    Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated (1981)
    Chromium - Fly on UFO (1979)
    Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music for the mind and Body (1967)
    Doors - LA Woman (1980)
    Dr Feelgood - Sneakin' Suspicion (1977)
    Joe Jackson - Night & Day (1982)
    The Stranglers - No More Heroes (1977)
    Van Morrison - TB Sheets (1973)

  6. #7266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    bunton? nice
    Yes, and strangely, this was the one that had gone for the highest amount! Mind you I think they're promo's.
    My copy is autographed!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  7. #7267
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    top ten vinyls i have based on discogs Max value (essentially some mug on discogs paid a silly amount to get a copy )

    1. spiderland box set
    2. new order - substance (weird)
    3. sonic youth - daydream nation
    4. stone roses
    5. pink floyd - dark side (my version is knackered, prob worth a fiver). Max value for the version £100!
    6. doolittle (first edition but i've lost the nice arty insert so prob worth a tenner)
    7. NIN - broken
    8. this charming man 7"
    9. cult - dreamtime (with added live album). someone paid £86 for this lol
    #10. meat beat manifesto - satyricon
    #10. spacemen 3 - walkin with jesus
    Daydream Nation currently on top of my list, followed by Einstürzende Neubauten's Kollaps. The first three Pixies records all do pretty well. Sonic Boom's Spectrum with the fancy moving sleeve is a good one. My promo version of Fear of a Black Planet that I won for completing the Sounds crossword 1n 1990isn't listed so I'm guessing that's my pension right there.

  8. #7268
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Daydream Nation currently on top of my list, followed by Einstürzende Neubauten's Kollaps. The first three Pixies records all do pretty well. Sonic Boom's Spectrum with the fancy moving sleeve is a good one. My promo version of Fear of a Black Planet that I won for completing the Sounds crossword 1n 1990isn't listed so I'm guessing that's my pension right there.
    I have nothing like that . the reissue of atomizer is as yet unpriced though.

    joint lowest value is the promo copy 12" I have of this - showing at £1.55. bargain

    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  9. #7269
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    I have nothing like that . the reissue of atomizer is as yet unpriced though.

    joint lowest value is the promo copy 12" I have of this - showing at £1.55. bargain
    I have an awful lot with practically zero value. Reissues of Joan Baez compilations don't tend to fetch much! God, I have bought some rubbish in charity shops over the years.

    My mother-in-law gave me all her Beatles albums years ago. I need to check out how low the number is on the White Album.

  10. #7270
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    My dad has put his records away in a safe place, and can't find them. I'm horrified, and also terrified if/when we do find them, they'll have been left near a heat source or something. I've nabbed his Heavy Texture LP (G Harrison), and led zep 2, and houses of the holy. I'm sure he had an original of revolver, and the who by numbers amongst other things.

    My mom bought let it be on day of release, and the guy in the record shop must have fancied her, cos he gave her a promo photo book that some record shops were sent. It's in great condition. Prices online on that seem to vary a lot!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  11. #7271
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I have an awful lot with practically zero value. Reissues of Joan Baez compilations don't tend to fetch much! God, I have bought some rubbish in charity shops over the years.

    My mother-in-law gave me all her Beatles albums years ago. I need to check out how low the number is on the White Album.
    Yes, my treasured collection of everything little angels ever released seems to be worth an average of £1 each!

    I also have AC/DCs razors edge pic disc. There were only 5000 of them, so I'm a bit surprised they're not worth much. They were going for £20 everywhere, except in music box in the wulfrun (anyone remember that shop?) where they were a fiver! I bought 6, and sold 4 to oldies unlimited within 10 mins at £15 each. Nice entrepreneurial skills there, and felt ok about it, as they'd made enough off me over the years.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  12. #7272
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    My biggest regret is flogging my entire metal collection for 20 notes to some dodgy biker at a car boot in the mid-90s. I can't even say that 20 quid was a lot of money back then. I was broke and fed up of lugging them around every time I moved to a new rented place. I'd stopped listening to metal by then but there was an awful lot of it!

  13. #7273
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Yes, my treasured collection of everything little angels ever released seems to be worth an average of £1 each!

    I also have AC/DCs razors edge pic disc. There were only 5000 of them, so I'm a bit surprised they're not worth much. They were going for £20 everywhere, except in music box in the wulfrun (anyone remember that shop?) where they were a fiver! I bought 6, and sold 4 to oldies unlimited within 10 mins at £15 each. Nice entrepreneurial skills there, and felt ok about it, as they'd made enough off me over the years.
    you have to be careful though as i think the values are only based on the transactions through discogs. so if no transactions = no value isn't necessarily the case. if a mug overspends or undersells and that's the only transaction then that's the value they show. doesn't mean it's the right price. also the value they have won't show the condition of the record. so a low value might be more an indication of poor condition. you'd think a good collection might also be worth more than the sum of its parts though maybe only to specialist buyers
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  14. #7274
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tipton
    Posts
    16,135
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Yes, my treasured collection of everything little angels ever released seems to be worth an average of £1 each!
    I can only remember one Little Angels song - All Roads Lead To You. I wasn't a fan of theirs but for some reason I really liked that song. It is now completely stuck in my head!

    In other music news, I can't bring myself to like the new Sleater-Kinney album (shock, horror!) For me, the best things about Sleater-Kinney are Corin Tucker's vocals, Janet Weiss' drumming and the general kick ass feel of the songs and there is hardly any of that on the new album. It sounds more like a Carrie Brownstein solo album than a Sleater-Kinney record. I'm not impressed.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

    Twitter

  15. #7275
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    you have to be careful though as i think the values are only based on the transactions through discogs. so if no transactions = no value isn't necessarily the case. if a mug overspends or undersells and that's the only transaction then that's the value they show. doesn't mean it's the right price. also the value they have won't show the condition of the record. so a low value might be more an indication of poor condition. you'd think a good collection might also be worth more than the sum of its parts though maybe only to specialist buyers
    I think you're right. I'd be amazed if the data included anything other than discogs transactions. I'm not convinced at all that the 10 I've listed are the "most valuable". I've posted about Fred Deakins The Lasters album, and someone is advertising one on discogs for £1500!

    Besides, most of my vinyls are treasured for sentimental reasons, rather than monetary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Dan View Post
    I can only remember one Little Angels song - All Roads Lead To You. I wasn't a fan of theirs but for some reason I really liked that song. It is now completely stuck in my head!

    In other music news, I can't bring myself to like the new Sleater-Kinney album (shock, horror!) For me, the best things about Sleater-Kinney are Corin Tucker's vocals, Janet Weiss' drumming and the general kick ass feel of the songs and there is hardly any of that on the new album. It sounds more like a Carrie Brownstein solo album than a Sleater-Kinney record. I'm not impressed.
    That was their last song released as they split! They never worked out what kinda band they wanted to be, and their management wanted them to be more manufactured.

    I understand your dichotomy with the new SK LP. Not all innovations are beneficial.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  16. #7276
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    My biggest regret is flogging my entire metal collection for 20 notes to some dodgy biker at a car boot in the mid-90s. I can't even say that 20 quid was a lot of money back then. I was broke and fed up of lugging them around every time I moved to a new rented place. I'd stopped listening to metal by then but there was an awful lot of it!
    That's an extreme way of dealing with a minor problem!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  17. #7277
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    i'll be aiming to put together the 10th and maybe final cd of best of year tracks I've bought.
    let's face it the CD was almost outdated at the start of the decade and even more so now.
    i'm still loathe to embrace spotify fully however given their reluctance to pay artists a fair amount. Also they often don't have a fair few things that I buy.
    having said that, I will probably save money by not buying so much vinyl!
    anyway, i'll be sure and post what goes on it or them if I have enough for two.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  18. #7278
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    I only have a CD player in the car so I still appreciate your work.

  19. #7279
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I only have a CD player in the car so I still appreciate your work.
    did you get one from last year. I think a summer one maybe but I don't recall sending out the end of year one. happy to send with a 2019 once done.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  20. #7280
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    did you get one from last year. I think a summer one maybe but I don't recall sending out the end of year one. happy to send with a 2019 once done.
    Can't remember to be honest - they all sound the same to me.

  21. #7281
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Can't remember to be honest - they all sound the same to me.
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

  22. #7282
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Can't remember to be honest - they all sound the same to me.
    racist!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  23. #7283
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    Back to fantasy record valuations courtesy of Discogs...

    MC5 Kick Out the Jams censored version goes for £120. The Beatles ones are good. The MiL obviously rushed out and bought them on the day of release as they're all first pressing monos. All original inserts and in good nick. Mostly over £100. Revolver £150. Most interesting is the White Album which is a reasonably low numbered edition, top loading sleeve and mono which means it's part of the first pressing run, apparently. They go for serious wonga. Discogs has it at £695 but they can go for lots more at auctions if they're the "right" version.

    Or I might just take them all to a car boot.

  24. #7284
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Back to fantasy record valuations courtesy of Discogs...

    MC5 Kick Out the Jams censored version goes for £120. The Beatles ones are good. The MiL obviously rushed out and bought them on the day of release as they're all first pressing monos. All original inserts and in good nick. Mostly over £100. Revolver £150. Most interesting is the White Album which is a reasonably low numbered edition, top loading sleeve and mono which means it's part of the first pressing run, apparently. They go for serious wonga. Discogs has it at £695 but they can go for lots more at auctions if they're the "right" version.

    Or I might just take them all to a car boot.
    Which car boot? I may offer a whole £25
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  25. #7285
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Which car boot? I may offer a whole £25
    That's fine, but you have to take the large All About Eve collection too.

  26. #7286
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    rumours about the december underworld gig:
    Doors - 18.30
    18.30 - 19.30 ‘Drift’ Intro
    19.30 - 20.45 Rick Smith & The Misterons Drift Pre-Show
    20.45 - 21.15 Transition (The Misterons)
    21.15 - 23.30 Underworld Main Show
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  27. #7287
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    tickets acquired!
    https://www.thsh.co.uk/event/fred-de...ts-the-lasters
    This should be superb.
    Gutted to hear that this show has been cancelled. Indeed the whole tour
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  28. #7288
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,287
    Top night at the Blizzards gig in Hammersmith. Nice small venue and I don't think my hearing has return to normal just yet.


    Think my decison to drive home after the gig was a bad one. Suffering today and it feels like I haven't slept for days (not helped by what feels like the start of a dose on Man Flu)

  29. #7289
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Top night at the Blizzards gig in Hammersmith. Nice small venue and I don't think my hearing has return to normal just yet.


    Think my decison to drive home after the gig was a bad one. Suffering today and it feels like I haven't slept for days (not helped by what feels like the start of a dose on Man Flu)
    Don't say this! I've decided to drive to/from the underworld gig, as hotels wanted £150 for one night, and I'd have had train tickets on top of that. I decided I can't afford this, as I'm having to top up darlo's 2020/21 season ticket fund

    At least I'll be travelling back sat night/sunday morning...

    Edit - rudely forgot to say glad you enjoyed yourself!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

  30. #7290
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,287
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Don't say this! I've decided to drive to/from the underworld gig, as hotels wanted £150 for one night, and I'd have had train tickets on top of that. I decided I can't afford this, as I'm having to top up darlo's 2020/21 season ticket fund

    At least I'll be travelling back sat night/sunday morning...

    Edit - rudely forgot to say glad you enjoyed yourself!
    The drive itself was fine (apart from getting to the Car Park where the Sat Nav sent us on a right trip throught he side streets of London). Long day yesterday and getting into bed at 2am has annoyed my body.

    Seems the Irish came out in their numbers last night to see one of their own. Every voice I heard (apart from the wifes) was an Irish accent. I know there was 1 English person there though, as Roisin Conaty was stood a few metres away from me

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •