Page 2 of 204 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The F1 Thread

I have been watching since the late seventies and Senna is the best I have ever seen. He was just brilliant and I was devastated when he died. If I were to ask my dad the same question I think he would probably say Jim Clark. Jochen Rindt was also a phenomenally talented driver.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by NandoWolf View Post
    I saw Senna in the flesh, but was far too young to recognise and admire his talent. My Dad still says Gilles Villeneuve is the most gifted driver he's ever seen.
    I was 6 when he died, but I can just about remember a couple of races with him in it...don't ask me which! Would've loved to have seen him myself, just seeing Bruno's eyes through his helmet earlier this year was scary...just remember how close he was to being in Barrichello's seat in 2009!

I might be wrong, but I think we'll see a very competitive Schumacher/Mercedes next year and I can't wait.

Senna was amazing, he made overtaking manoeuvres where others daren't, except for one. Nigel Mansell was nearly as good as the late, great Senna, he too would take gambles, and force errors out of other drivers.

Senna's greatest race was probably in a monsoon at Donington. He was utterly imperious and won by a street.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Massa is not and never will be in the same stratosphere as Hamilton/Alonso let alone Senna. Stick him on pole and he's fantastic, otherwise he does prety much jack all. Get Kubica in the Ferrari.

I was there that day Paddy, although I was only 3.

The Senna tribute was fantastic, just imagine if we could have had Senna up against Schumi. <drools>

Before the dependancy on aerodynamic grip, risk takers were rewarded for their bravery. It's hard to compare even the Mansell's, Prost's and Senna's etc with the mordern day drivers (let alone the Clark's and Hill's) as their ability to overtake is massively compromised by the modern cars.

I can watch this all day long, absolutely bloody brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDtn8QnpFg

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I think his closing comments were "Gilles Villeneuve was brilliant most of the time, Senna was brilliant every time" or something like that
    He was wrong. Gilles was brilliant all of the time - no way should that heap of junk he had in 1981 been near the front of the grid, let alone a couple of wins. Senna was dangerous some of the time, and the FIA should have come down on him like a ton of bricks. Just like with Schumacher, Senna was so good that he didn't need to drive like a chav.

that is some footage - arnoux could drive a bit too!!
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    that is some footage - arnoux could drive a bit too!!
    Oddly due to the scoring system in use at the time, Gilles's six points for second place at Dijon were dropped - the whole thing was literally for nothing!

The F1 Thread

What a farce.

Webber crashed out very quickly after the safety car came in. They have just re-started again, but more rain is forecast, and it will be getting dark soon.

Great job Red Bull, thank you very much.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Great job Red Bull, thank you very much.
    A great race for all that finished. Alonso's to throw away now and if he does win it, the owner of Red Bull has some serious questions he needs to ask. The Red Bull is the best car in F1 this season and they should be streets ahead and the title wrapped up by now but the management of the 2 drivers over the season has been awful.

Not a fan of Alonso but he has hit form at the right time and now looks the best bet, so good luck to him

Not a fan of Alonso
    Just to clarify this statement - As a driver, when in the right mind, he is brilliant. I just don't like him as a person and how he reacts when things are not 100% his way. Like earlier in the season when he struggled to past a Williams for 20+ laps and he is waving his arms around as if the car in front should just pull out of the way and let him by.........just race Fernando.

Hamilton and Alonso would have wrapped it up already if they were in the Red Bull.

Agreed - they are the two best drivers on the grid. I enjoyed it today (on the re-run as I had a lie-in). Hamilton obviously lost a significant amount of grip just at the end but I very much doubt he could have passed alonso today with maximum grip.

As an aside - a new track with minimal run-off areas and nowhere to position recovery cranes is fucking appalling.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Hulkenberg takes pole for tomorrows race!!!! Alonso starts 5th behind Vettel, Webber & Hamilton. A bad qualy for him
    Last edited by Kenny; 6th November 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Oh Nico, fan-bloody-tastic. Well done Williams.

So then, Vettel has to beat Alonso to stay in contention for Abu Dhabi and for me he's now favourite to win tomorrow. I don't see any chance of Red Bull favouring Webber until it's absolutely necessary.

Hulk's surely not going to be able to keep pace with the 4 behind him so the race will surely be decided upon the 4 contender's ability to dispatch of him as soon as possible.

Awkward position for Alonso, he can't risk going banzai into the first corner or being too cautious and end up getting passed by Rubens, Kubica or Schumi who've looked quick throughout the weekend. He's on the clean side so may have an advantage over Lewis.

Lewis hasn't really got anything to lose, without an Alonso DNF I can't see him winning the title but you know he won't have that mindset. He's the danger for the RB's and Alonso tomorrow.

Bring it on!

Fantastic qualifying, tomorrow is going to be spectacular.

Fantastic qualifying, tomorrow is going to be spectacular.
    Alonso's to throw away? If he can get past the first corner and still be in 3rd, its his.

Wonder if Lewis has slipped Jenson a few quid to take Alonso & Webber out.................

Should be a cracker, really looking forward to this!!

Schumacher was disqualified in 97 for slamming one into the side of JV, I can't imagine anybody doing it again.

I think Lewis will win this, depending on tyre wear. I certainly expect him to be in the lead after the first lap, which I'll be more than happy about.

Should be a cracker, but I feel sick.

Ferrari have fucked Alonso by worrying too much about Webber.

Vettels to lose now. Ferrari made a right mess there. Alonso will end up crashing out if he isnt careful

Congrats to Ferrari on the ultimate Championship bottlejob. Absolutely ridiculous.

The F1 Thread

Congrats to Ferrari on the ultimate Championship bottlejob. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Also congrats to Alonso for having a go at Petrov at the end of the race. Surely the Russian should know he is meant to give up position. Pathetic reaction really

Yes, cringeworthy. Alonso is a terrrible loser.

His comments when interviewed after the race were a disgrace as well weren't they....oh wait. He congratulated Petrov on a great drive, didn't slag off his team when he could of about the mad strategy. Anybody in his position would have been mightily frustrated at the end of the race, he just has a habit of showing his frustrations.

Congrats to Vettel, stunning weekend from him and he deserves the title. Without the mechanical failures he'd have wrapped it up last weekend. Dire race over all though, a Ferrari unable to get anywhere near the back of a Renault & Toro Rosso and Lewis even with the f-duct unable to pass Kubica. Was there any on track overtaking except Lewis and Kubica on Kamui? Incredible facilities, awful racing.

Also congrats to Alonso for having a go at Petrov at the end of the race. Surely the Russian should know he is meant to give up position. Pathetic reaction really
    Sorry, but I do not think Petrov should have given way. They were battling for position on the track, and Petrov rightly defended his position. If there had been an issue, the stewards would have held up blue flags. The real problem was yet another track on which overtaking was very difficult.