Page 3 of 201 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The F1 Thread

The F1 Thread

Surely you've got to grip with Kenny's sarcastic wit by now, Frank?

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale

The F1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Sorry, but I do not think Petrov should have given way. They were battling for position on the track, and Petrov rightly defended his position. If there had been an issue, the stewards would have held up blue flags. The real problem was yet another track on which overtaking was very difficult.
    You do realise my post was soaked in sarcasm don't you?

Fernando Alonso is the first non Red Bull person to come and congratulate Sebastian. Just like he was first to congratulate Lewis on his title. Terrible loser.

Oops, silly old me. Please accept my apologies.

The F1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NandoWolf View Post
    Fernando Alonso is the first non Red Bull person to come and congratulate Sebastian. Just like he was first to congratulate Lewis on his title. Terrible loser.
    His act with Petrov = bad loser.
    It's not a one off either, which is a shame for me as he is one of the best drivers in the world.

Biggest disappointment of the day was Webber. A poor drive in my eyes, and seemingly the pressure got to him this weekend.

Clearly NandoWolf doesn't like it when his precious Alonso gets criticised. Diddums.

Don't patronise me.

There are some fantastic new tracks on the circuit. I just wish overtaking was not nigh on impossible at some of them. I hope this is addressed over the coming months. Otherwise we could end up with lots of races similar to the Hungarian grand prix. Which I for one do not want.

The layout at Abu Dhabu is ridiculous, long straights followed by a chicane, good thinking Tilke.

The facilities at these modern tracks are unbelievable, but the racing is dire with the possible exception of Malaysia which is a great track although 2010 was it's 11th year on the calendar, scary!

The layout at Abu Dhabu is ridiculous, long straights followed by a chicane, good thinking Tilke.

The facilities at these modern tracks are unbelievable, but the racing is dire with the possible exception of Malaysia which is a great track although 2010 was it's 11th year on the calendar, scary!
    I agree Nando, some amazing new tracks, but is the racing any better. The greatest skill in motor racing is overtaking at high speed. They do this in the Indy Car series.

Tilke seems to have only one template in track design. He emasculates racing and makes a pit crew as important as the driver. tedious.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

My mate has said the same. It's like he's got a Scalextric set and has to fit every bit in at some point.

IndyCar/CART/IRL is nowhere near the level of Formula One. The cars are purely designed for oval racing, therefore overtaking (if you have a superior car) is pretty simple.

Hopefully with the banning of the double diffusers and the reintroduction of KERS, the racing might be slightly more enjoyable.

We've had all this talk about this being the most exciting F1 season for years, bullshit has it. How many on track battles have we seen between the top drivers? 2? It's only close because of mechanical problems for the Red Bulls.
    Last edited by Nando; 14th November 2010 at 10:28 PM.

We've had all this talk about this being the most exciting F1
    This year has been great but not really about exciting races.

We've had the Red Bull war between Webber and Vettell
    Alonso struggling then suddenly charging up and looking odds on to win the title
    Hamilton pushing the McLaren, at time beyond what was expected and sometimes into spaces that did not exist
    Schumacher struggling to get back in the "groove" (speaking of him, how lucky was he not to have a Force India tyre smash against his head today)
    The Ferrari Team Orders
    4 Drivers all with a shout of the title going into the last race

The only really exciting racing incidents have generally involved accidents (Webber flying through the air, Vettel nailing Webber or Webber nailing Vettel. Schumacher trying to kill Barrichello.

Todays race would have been great if there was more than one area where overtaking was possible. Alonso would have finished higher, maybe even Webber would have tried a bit harder. Hamilton would have been chasing Vettel down. In the end it was all about a solid race from the leader, frustration for the others and a bad pit call.

the championship was decided behind the pit wall, and not on the track. ferrari had abominable brainfade, but that hardly makes exciting racing. The track today annoyed the hell out of me - very pretty but just shit. For instance, the back straight was originally intended to end with a real pig of a left hander, just over ninety degrees and a chance for the driver with the biggest balls to outbrake and overtake. Tilke puts in the most pointless chicane this side of the bus stop in, and ruins the corner completely.

Schumi's lucky to have his head still on his shoulders. Could have been hideous.

I'd rather see two drivers going at each other hammer and tongs like Alonso/Kimi in 05 and Schumi/Alonso 06, or the titanic 07 battle on track than what we've had this season. When the Red Bulls have been on song, with the excpetion of mechanical failures they've pretty much walked it but those failures have made it much more 'interesting' than it should have been. Have I been excited by any races this season? Montreal was terrific, that's about it with the excpetion of the weather affected races.

The new regualtions (narrower and taller rear wings, removal of all the additional little aero parts etc) was supposed to make the racing better, but looking back at races in 05/06/07 there was far more on track action between the top guys than we have had in the past two seasons.

Hulkenberg dropped by Wiliiams. It's a sad day for F1 when Williams are having to rely on a pay driver. Maldonado (who I presume will be given the drive) is extremely average. Nico deserves his seat in F1, I hope he finds a new drive.

Not all indy car races are on ovals. And their drivers are as good as in F1, they just dont follow each other in formation for 60 laps.

Absolute tripe Waggy, Bourdais was the best IndyCar driver came to F1 and couldn't even match his team mate at Toro Rosso. Stick him up against the big boys and he'd have been destroyed.

Although it's coming up to 20 years ago, Mansell left for America and was immediately on the pace. There are some decent drivers in IndyCar, none are at the standard of the top guys in F1. Only Montoya and Villeneuve, who were both excellent on the road courses have come to F1 and had good careers in the last 15 or so years.

Didnt Michael Andretti come over to F1 for a couple of seasons

Nando, you obviously know a lot more than I do about motor racing, so I will concede to you, but I prefer watching Indy car, because they can overtake. Usually in F1, the leader after the first lap ends up winner.

Michael Andretti came over into McLaren (I think) and wasn't competitive. I like watching Indy Car - I love the speed and use of slipstream to make long drawn out overtaking manouvres. However, F1 contains more skill elements for the driver because of the different types of track.

I'm not going to argue with you there Waggy, you're quite right. I watched Jacques Villeneuve in the second tier of NASCAR (well I think it was), and in his very first race at Montreal the difference in ability was staggering.

F1 may not be as exciting as many forms of motorsport, but there's something about if that for most people makes it that little bit more special. You watch in hope that you might get to see something special, that other drivers around the world in different formats simply couldn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Michael Andretti came over into McLaren (I think) and wasn't competitive.
    He was more stunningly unlucky than off the pace. Realistically, most people paired with Senna were going to look second-best. It's also illuminating to remember that whilst everyone raves about Senna's opening lap at Donington, Michael Andretti followed him through most of the way before getting taken out by Karl Wendlinger's Sauber.

I can only remember about half a dozen IndyCar drivers coming to F1 since the mid 1970s - Bobby Rahal, Kevin Cogan, Jacques Villeneuve, Michael Andretti, Juan Pablo Montoya and Sebastian Bourdais. Of those, Rahal and Cogan had only a couple of races in an old car, Villeneuve and Montoya were successful, whilst Bourdais and Andretti were both better than their results suggested.

Of drivers heading the other way, Mansell instantly won the IndyCar title; Alex Zanardi won it fairly quickly before coming unsuccessfully back to F1 and the rest were a pretty unsuccessful bunch - but then they were relatively unsuccessful in F1 too.

Realistically, the talents required in each series to succeed is different, and it's noticeable that only thee men have ever been champions of both series - Mansell, Villeneuve and Mario Andretti.

I suspect that Tony Hernandez may have something to say about that. Having said that, I really like the colour scheme of that renault - reminds me of a senna era lotus or an old wolf racing car.

They're both going for the classic black & gold livery. It's going to be ridiculous.

Group Lotus must be mad. They're not allowed to use the "Lotus" brand in F1, Team Lotus are the only ones allowed to do that. Team Lotus are allowed to use the "Lotus" badge on single seaters. Group Lotus have NEVER been in single-seater racing, so how the hell can they claim that "Lotus is back", when Group Lotus was never there in the first place?

Group are just being bloody minded because they didn't buy Team when they had the chance, and now they're desperately claiming that Team has "always" been a part of Group. Err, no, it hasn't.

I can't see how Tony Fernandes can lose the court case - it's open and shut to anyone who looks beyond the simple "Lotus make cars, so they must be Lotus" angle.
    Last edited by Law's Bus; 8th December 2010 at 06:27 PM.

perhaps one could be predominantly gold and the other predominantly black. sportingbet would be banging their door down, and burrda could design their spoilers

It will be ace. The BBC team struggle with Red Bull and the TR cars so 2 teams in identical cars will mess with their heads.