Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The All New Adverts that Grind my Gears

And John Lydon advertising butter surely the polar opposite of everything hes preached for the last 30 odd years !!

Quote Originally Posted by So Long Architect View Post
    Iggy Pop's insurance ads make me die a little every time I see them.
    Is that who it is. I wonder everytime it's on. Assuming you're on about Swiftcover.

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    Is that who it is. I wonder everytime it's on. Assuming you're on about Swiftcover.
    That's them. I know on Raw Power he never promised me personally he would never ever sell out and become a corporate stooge, but it still feels like a betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW36 View Post
    And John Lydon advertising butter surely the polar opposite of everything hes preached for the last 30 odd years !!
    It seems everyone has their price. What a truly depressing thought.

Ricky Tomlinson, professional Scouser that he is, has popped up in a dreadful FarmFoods advert. The only FarmFoods I know is in Heath Town and I'd rather starve than go there.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Is that Farmfoods that Jason Donovan advertises or is it Iceland ?
    Could be confused as the advert has made me realise why they make guns that shoot more than one bullet !

Thank god for Sky+, aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Paul Merton and Stephen Fry doing the painfully unfunny Direct Line adverts. Shame on them.
    Too right. Off the artistic roll call for ever as the great Mr Hicks once said. It would be a little easier to take if these people kept their heads down and stuck to doing sitcoms or whatever but people like Fry and Lydon are often sticking their oar into public debates. Nick Clegg has more credibility FFS.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Brilliant piece from Bill Hicks there, thanks SLA, I really must get some of his stuff on DVD

That 'One Sheet' is a particularly grating ad, especially as he blatently pronounces it as one shit...

Oh Deutsch, theres a Farmfoods over here in merry old West Brom High St, next to the Netto and Heron Frozen foods, thats right the posh end of town!

The advert that boils my blood is the Swiftcover one with Iggy Pop - it is just pure unadulterated crap.

I know it's been posted on here before, but for those that haven't seen it, it falls in line with SLA's post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQUunzbrw1E

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawolf View Post
    The advert that boils my blood is the Swiftcover one with Iggy Pop - it is just pure unadulterated crap.
    'I'm not selling car insurance!' Oh Iggy...
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Any ad containing Peter Kay, especially his 'cameo' appearance in the Christmas M&S ad.

Ant & Dec (and JLS) Wii ads.

Tim Lovejoy in Giovanni Riva pasts ad.

There's Method in The Magners.

RED Driving School.

Omid Djalili - Money Supermarket
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Any Iceland advert, especially the recent Christmas advert which was truly abysmal.

Halifax Ice Ice Baby ISA Advert !!!!!!!!!

does my head in !!!!!!!!

John Lydon should be slapped hard and repeatedly for his ads for some shabby butter company
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

What about the Redknaps dreaming about their Thomas Cook holiday ???

The new Direct Line advert with comedian Chris Addison in it. If that isn't selling out I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by SSB View Post
    The new Direct Line advert with comedian Chris Addison in it. If that isn't selling out I don't know what is.
    Bloody hell, do you sound like a roaring luvvie or what? All those wonderful darlings suddenly prostituting themselves on the televisuuaal.

In Stephen Fry's autobiog he recalls the first ad he got booked up for. 20-odd grand for 3 days work, back in something like 1982. Blimey.

The painfully camp 118 ads.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Lenny Henry in the Premier Inn commercials......vom
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Other ads that make the world just that little bit less special:

Helen Mirren/Wii
    Dustin Hoffman/Sky
    Samuel L. Jackson/Virgin
    George Clooney/Nespresso.

I know they're all jobbing actors and I have no right to expect them to turn down paying work, but I'd like to think there was someone who, once they'd reach a certain level, could say no to the big bucks.

I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Nintendo: We'll give you 1 mil. to advertise Wii Fit.
    Mirren: An advert? Darling, don't you know who I am?
    Nintendo: OK, 2 mil.
    Mirren: I'd love to, luvvie, but I have a very full schedule right now.
    Nintendo: 3 mil.?
    Mirren: How's Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Lenny Henry...
    You probably could have just stopped there, to be honest...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

I can't decide which i hate the worst, Thomas Cook (redknapps) or go compare (fat cunt) adverts. Either one makes me never want to use any of their services .

To quote Mr Hicks "every word you say is like a turd falling into my drink!"

I quite like the IKEA advert though.....

Have to agree on Thomas Cook and Go Comparte WLJM drive me mad!

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Bloody hell, do you sound like a roaring luvvie or what? All those wonderful darlings suddenly prostituting themselves on the televisuuaal.

In Stephen Fry's autobiog he recalls the first ad he got booked up for. 20-odd grand for 3 days work, back in something like 1982. Blimey.
    Just to add a little further perspective to your comment, I was told by some fairly senior staff at the Daily Mirror that the average familiy income for their readership is a total of 24k pa.
    If only I could be accused of selling out for 20k for 3 days work......

Quote Originally Posted by So Long Architect View Post
    Other ads that make the world just that little bit less special:

Helen Mirren/Wii
    Dustin Hoffman/Sky
    Samuel L. Jackson/Virgin
    George Clooney/Nespresso.

I know they're all jobbing actors and I have no right to expect them to turn down paying work, but I'd like to think there was someone who, once they'd reach a certain level, could say no to the big bucks.

I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Nintendo: We'll give you 1 mil. to advertise Wii Fit.
    Mirren: An advert? Darling, don't you know who I am?
    Nintendo: OK, 2 mil.
    Mirren: I'd love to, luvvie, but I have a very full schedule right now.
    Nintendo: 3 mil.?
    Mirren: How's Thursday?
    And there you have it,everyone has their price no matter how "above all that" they would like to appear,as someone said,thank god for sky+,i try to watch as little commercial TV as possible.

I can't stand it when you are engrossed in a live football match on the TV and the commentator starts to ignore the game and starts advertising forthcoming fixtures that they will be showing.

And since when has some fat cockney saying 'Wonga' appealing to anyone outside of the Bow Bells area ?

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    I have a cousin who is the daughter and sister of a well known tv producer. (One was her father, the 2nd is her brother).
    She wasn't really an actress, but had appeared in a bit part in a couple of small sitcoms.

She was invited to 'do' a refrigerator advert. In California. for 4 days.

And in the finished advert the camera showed a fantastic blue sky, it panned down to show a blindingly hot desert, then it panned sideways to show a white cube that slowly appeared to be a fridge.

Then it pulled back to show this fridge sitting there in the desert, then my cousin's hand (JUST her hand!) appeared on top of the fridge and someone's voiceover came on, blah blah blah.

So everyone got flown out to California out into the desert for a week, and my cousin got 4 grand for putting her hand on a fridge for about 15 seconds.

And that was about 35 years ago! Astronomical!
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.