Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedians

Comedians

Whos your fave? I went to a cheap comedy night tonight and saw some big names rehearsing new material, David O Doherty, Ardal O Hanlon, Jarlath Regan, Dead Cat Bounce and a new Irish/.Sri Lankan called Paul Tyler, highlight of the night by miles.

Ardal O Hanlon (Dougal from Father Ted for those who dont know him) was muck when i saw him in Kilkenny 2 years ago, but credit where its due, he was miles better tonight, with some dingers such as
    " I was meant to play a gig here in November, but my wife had a baby on the day of the gig..........what a selfish bitch! I'd planned that gig for ages...",

and

" When you're married for years, nothing puts you off sex anymore, like the other night, me and the missus were having grrrrreat earth shattering sex, shouting our heads off, when the missus let out an enormous big fart......not to be put off, or indeed, outdone, I came back with a few growlers of my own.....honestly, the kids must of thought a brass band were warming up in mummy and Daddys room"
    And Pavlos might be interested to hear he informed us that a Cassock is an anagram of ass and cock!
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I never tire of watching Tommy Cooper or Billy Connolly. I also really like Rich Hall.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Well it's Tommy Cooper and Billy Connolly for me too, both have made me cry from laughing.
    And Pavlos might be interested to hear he informed us that a Cassock is an anagram of ass and cock!
    and Dublin, rest assured the word "cassock" is feminine. (except where the german impostor is concerned)
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Still have an eye for the classics, Laurel & Hardy still crack me up, Mel Brooks, early Woody Allen, Tommy Cooper, Morcambe & Wise, all comedy Gods

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW36 View Post
    Still have an eye for the classics, Laurel & Hardy still crack me up, Mel Brooks, early Woody Allen, Tommy Cooper, Morcambe & Wise, all comedy Gods
    I got the big Laurel & Hardy box set for my birthday - fantastic stuff. I've been watching it with my kids who also love it.

Peter Cook, when on form, was brilliant. As was Spike Milligan.

I love Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies also had their great moments, but I'd guess that those aren't really 'stand up'. Eddie Izzard is incredibly funny and incredibly clever too, as is The Big Yin. Of the current new crop Dara O'Briain is probably my favourite, very clever how he just works off the audience to get a lot of his routine.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Stewart Lee is my fave by a mile. Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope, Craig Campbell and Mark Steel all good as well.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Never found Billy Connolly funny

Didn't Russell Brand win a lifetime achievement award at the British Comedy Awards the other night? He's about as funny as a dose of the clap.

I enjoy watching Richard Pryor and Kevin Bridges.

Going to see Milton Jones tomorrow night. Supposed to be hilarious.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by LG Wolf View Post
    Didn't Russell Brand win a lifetime achievement award at the British Comedy Awards the other night? He's about as funny as a dose of the clap.
    If lifetime achievement awards were only given to dead people it would have been richly deserved.
    No.

Bill Hicks, Chris Morris. Seen Ardal O'Hanlon, Rich Hall, Julian Clary, Frankie Boyle, Dara O'Briain and a fair few others.

I think if you have a look at the Frankie Boyle thread, there was a lot of comedian discussion on there.

There was also the rather splendid favourite comedy sketch thread which is worthwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Going to see Milton Jones tomorrow night. Supposed to be hilarious.
    Pappy's Fun Club hilarious?

I'll second the Stewart Lee nomination, awesome stand up and Fist Of Fun and TMWRNJ were fantastic.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I'm afraid I'm not one who finds Milton Jones funny Paddy...

Tim Minchin has rose to comedy genius recently i like his material, very funny guy.

Dave Alen Ronnie Corbett, Ronnie Barker and Steve Corica

Quote Originally Posted by UKYankieWWFC View Post
    Tim Minchin has rose to comedy genius recently i like his material, very funny guy.
    Saw him in Birmingham a few weeks back - he still describes himself as a musician. Very, very funny and at times in an uncomfortable way.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Pappy's Fun Club hilarious?
    No - he is quite often on mock the week and does continuous one-liners. I really like him.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

I went to school with one of the members of Pappy's fun club - he was a most unfunny/unentertaining individual, no natural wit whatsoever, and in my view he's just as unfunny now - how he's made a career out of making people laugh is beyond me
    Last edited by Newbridge Wolf; 26th January 2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: That sounded like I thought he was funny for a moment

Some background: Paddy described Pappy's Fun Club as "hilarious", we found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip3RkhhNikI

Quite clearly not hilarious. Cue Paddy having hissy fit while we slagged them off. I don't know if he still finds that hilarious.

Twitter
    Facebook

Morecambe and Wise

The one in the blue top, who comes on after a minute, thats the one I know - bloody name escapes me at the moment.

I don't have sound at work so I managed to sit through that in order to see him - they are all as equally as unfunny as each other though.

Tom Parry thats him, just searched my Spazzbook account

Some background: Paddy described Pappy's Fun Club as "hilarious", we found this video:

Quite clearly not hilarious. Cue Paddy having hissy fit while we slagged them off. I don't know if he still finds that hilarious.
    I can quite honestly say that's just about the least funny thing I have ever seen. And I include many natural disasters and the funeral of Princess Di in that...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Sorry I just dont get it !Have i missed a bit of the video where they're paying the audience to laugh ?

I can't understand how they've won awards, they've also had offers to write for TV??

dave allen .

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    I can't understand how they've won awards, they've also had offers to write for TV??
    they did a pilot that was turned down I believe.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    they did a pilot that was turned down I believe.
    Yeah, it's a mystery why...

Twitter
    Facebook

John Cleese - class of his own

Quote Originally Posted by waggy on the wing View Post
    John Cleese - class of his own
    Agreed

In fact all the monty python team were brilliant.