Page 1 of 239 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Goggle Box Thread

The Goggle Box Thread

As requested by Mr Langdale...I am really looking forward to this channel, there looks to be some top quality TV coming over from the USA. It is essentially 'HBO UK' and HBO have consistently made fantastic quality programmes. I am especially looking forward to (in no particular order):

Boardwalk Empire
    The Sopranos (missed it the first time round)
    The Wire (I'd watch them all again and again)
    Blue Bloods
    Six Feet Under

Any other shows anyone knows about that are going to be on this channel that they would recommend?
    Last edited by Toon Wolf; 29th January 2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I've definitely going to give Broadwalk Empire a try, and I've never seen The Sopranos or The Wire, so this is the perfect opportunity to try them.

Sounds like it's going to be a decent channel. I'd assume that Band of Brothers and The Pacific will be shown in their entirety on there at some point - thoroughly recommended if anyone is yet to see them.

The Sky + box is going to take a severe pummelling as the new series of True Blood has just started too. Shame Eastbound and Down and Come Fly With Me have both finished - thought they were both great.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    I've definitely going to give Broadwalk Empire a try, and I've never seen The Sopranos or The Wire, so this is the perfect opportunity to try them.

Sounds like it's going to be a decent channel. I'd assume that Band of Brothers and The Pacific will be shown in their entirety on there at some point - thoroughly recommended if anyone is yet to see them.

The Sky + box is going to take a severe pummelling as the new series of True Blood has just started too. Shame Eastbound and Down and Come Fly With Me have both finished - thought they were both great.
    The Pacific is scheduled for this year sometime, TBC.

You have to watch The Wire, it is television par excellence- the performances are genuinely brilliant from every single member of the cast. The only things that can put some people off are that it is not exactly action packed (although there is action, it is very much about the study of the characters and the nature of the detective work involved) and sometimes the colloquial 'jargon' can be a little confusing until you get into it.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

I have only heard good things about The Wire, which is more than enough to make me try it out.

As for The Pacific - 7 episodes down, 3 to go. It's fantastic. Not BoB standard, but that's not a criticism of The Pacific which is still harrowing, gripping and bloody interesting in it's own right.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Breaking Bad is brilliant. The actor who plays Hal from Malcolm in the Middle is fantastic in it
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

I have only heard good things about The Wire, which is more than enough to make me try it out.
    Langdale, you need to watch The Wire, it's my favourite TV series ever. Although unsure if it on Sky Atlantic as I've not seen it on their line-up? I know it was originally shown on FX so not sure if they still hold the UK airing rights?

Treme which is due to be shown is written by David Simon and features a number of the cast from The Wire.

I have a lot of the HBO stuff sat on my laptop that I've "aquired" from the US, but not got round to watching yet.
    Last edited by SSB; 29th January 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SSB View Post
    Langdale, you need to watch The Wire, it's my favourite TV series ever. Although unsure if it on Sky Atlantic as I've not seen it on their line-up? I know it was originally shown on FX so not sure if they still hold the UK airing rights?

Treme which is due to be shown is written by David Simon and features a number of the cast from The Wire.

I have a lot of the HBO stuff sat on my laptop that I've "aquired" from the US, but not got round to watching yet.
    I don't know when it starts, but it's definitely on Sky Atlantic, and it's definitely being shown from the start.

Lucky you Langdale, getting to watch the Wire from the start. Its also my fave show of all time. And the mini series that preceded it, 'The Corner' was great too

Treme which is due to be shown is written by David Simon and features a number of the cast from The Wire.I have a lot of the HBO stuff sat on my laptop that I've "aquired" from the US, but not got round to watching yet.
    Got to say, this looks like it has potential- it's the one set in New Orleans after Katrina, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    Got to say, this looks like it has potential- it's the one set in New Orleans after Katrina, isn't it?
    Never heard of this. I'm presuming it's not a comedy?

Battlestar is fucking epic.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

Never heard of this. I'm presuming it's not a comedy?
    Trailer for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnSzAI3gCQ

The cast looks amazing, and the soundtrack will be pretty good even for non jazz lovers...

That's Bunk, isn't it?

If it hasnt got spaceships and little green men I ay interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Lucky you Langdale, getting to watch the Wire from the start. Its also my fave show of all time. And the mini series that preceded it, 'The Corner' was great too
    The Corner was great. I liked the way that some of the actors totally changed roles between The Corner and The Wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    That's Bunk, isn't it?
    Yep, there are some others from The Wire I think who also appear in it.

The Corner was great. I liked the way that some of the actors totally changed roles between The Corner and The Wire.

Yep, there are some others from The Wire I think who also appear in it.
    Yeah, Lester Freemon is also in it.

The actor who plays Omar Little (quite possibly the greatest character in TV drama) is in Boardwalk Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    Yeah, Lester Freemon is also in it.

The actor who plays Omar Little (quite possibly the greatest character in TV drama) is in Boardwalk Empire.
    Very true. Jimmy McNulty must be in the list too though. He's fantastic

Just starting watch Treme (via another source) and liking it so far. The soundtrack is a toe tapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Very true. Jimmy McNulty must be in the list too though. He's fantastic
    McNulty is a legend. I saw Dominic West at Glastonbury two years ago walking round.
    Last edited by SSB; 1st February 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Omar (well, the actor who played him) was in an episode of The Sopranos playing what amounts to a proto-Omar.

Anyone read the book that The Corner/The Wire is based on? That's a heavy-duty read right there.

I noticed on the sky site that it looks like Sky Atlantic will have A Game of thrones with Sean Bean starring. If that is an adaptation of the George Martin fantasy epic it should be incredible.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Omar (well, the actor who played him) was in an episode of The Sopranos playing what amounts to a proto-Omar.

Anyone read the book that The Corner/The Wire is based on? That's a heavy-duty read right there.
    Homicide: A year on the Streets or somethin like that? I've read half of it. Brilliant. You can see a lot of different people from The Wire in Dublin. This is 100% true. David Simon came here to give a speech at a University and signed my mates copy before they went boozing together! Dominic West went to Trinity College here and is married to a girl who went to college with my ex. He comes over a lot and they drink around Dublin during the 6 Nations. And Idris Elba ( Stringer Bell) DJ's here a lot too, Aidan Gillan who played Tommy Carcetti brings his daughters to our shop for Ice Cream, The guy who was Lester Freemon actually lives in London but does a lot of Stage Plays here, he was here for a month doing Shawshank Redemption recently........so Dublin's the place to be if you wanna see Actors from The Wire!

Started to read it, put it back on the shelf and never picked it back up again. You're right it was heavy going.

Dominic West is due to star as Fred West soon in an ITV drama.

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    You're a very well connected boy!
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Hunting View Post
    You're a very well connected boy!
    Dublin is ridiculously small. Everyone knows everyone basically...

Sky Atlantic, is that the new one on channel 908, I thought it was only available via subscription, with al, this talk of "HBO" whatever that is. I will check it out.

Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale

Sky Atlantic...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Sky Atlantic, is that the new one on channel 908, I thought it was only available via subscription, with al, this talk of "HBO" whatever that is. I will check it out.
    Frank, do not go to channel 908!!

Try 108 instead

Erm, Frank, this is the channel on 908...
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Prefer 906 myself...

Frank knows really he's just popping on the dumb act now you lot have given him the tag..

Episode 1 of Boardwalk Empire was very good IMO. Steve Buscemi is a fine actor. Struck the right balance of setting the scene/introducing the characters and the action to keep you involved. Hope it continues to impress.