Page 3 of 241 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Goggle Box Thread

Boardwalk Empire is fantastic. Blue Bloods is good also, but not in the same league.

Just watched Spartacus: Gods of the Arena on Sky One- violence, gore and lots and lots of naked women - I think I might watch it again next week...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Toon - did you watch the original series of Spartacus that was on last year? Gods of the Arena is the prequel. And yes - it was basically gore and tits. Xena's norks on show every week - guaranteed.

Luckily, this new series is in HD.

Anyway - Sky Atlantic - not really got into Boardwalk Empire yet. It's okay, but only seen the first few and it hasn't gripped me all that much. Treme is great (best theme tune EVER!) and I am hooked on the Sopranos that I hadn't seen before.

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on - it's a brilliant channel.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    oh er... watched Treme, the very first one a couple of weeks back and I waited to get into it.

I read lots of American cop stuff and am usually ok with the strange street language but I thought the first Teme was shite.

Couldn't relate to the characters, didn't like the plot, couldn't understand about 1/3 of it....

Just watched a bit of 'Weeds', and that seemed to be mildly engaging though...
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Treme is great - I like how different it is, it's a clever idea and not one you'd think they could make a drama series out of. The locations are interesting, the characters are really good and the music is amazing.

I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to others though.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    Toon - did you watch the original series of Spartacus that was on last year? Gods of the Arena is the prequel. And yes - it was basically gore and tits. Xena's norks on show every week - guaranteed.

Luckily, this new series is in HD.

Anyway - Sky Atlantic - not really got into Boardwalk Empire yet. It's okay, but only seen the first few and it hasn't gripped me all that much. Treme is great (best theme tune EVER!) and I am hooked on the Sopranos that I hadn't seen before.

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on - it's a brilliant channel.
    I didn't watch Blood and Sand. I will persevere with Gods though.

I love Boardwalk, I think it is superb stuff- Steve Buscemi is one of the finest character actors around.

I have all of Treme so far saved to my Sky + but haven't started on them yet.

The Sopranos is another great, great programme that I am watching now having missed it all the first time around.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Love David Simon but Treme is not doing it for me either. Too slow and bloody hard to understand the drawwwwl
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Weeds is a fun show. It gets a lot more involved as the series goes on. I've only seen up to season 4 though.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

Treme and Boardwalk Empire are good. Keep an eye out for when they start showing The Wire.

I missed Sopranos first time around and refuse to get into anything after it has started - I'm all the way in or I'm not in at all so it's great to be able to watch the whole thing from the start 'as new'. I am also watching Star Trek Voyager - a series I only ever watched once and never bothered with the repeats but on second showing it is better than I remembered.

Treme I didn't make it through the first episode.

Blue Bloods is great. Boardwalk Empire is wonderful, best period drama since Deadwood.

Hawaii Five O is the surprise for me - I thought the original was so iconic that any remake would suffer in comparison but....title, music and characters apart it is a different show.
    No.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I am now watching 6 Feet Under. Never watched it the first time and due to liking Michael C Hall in Dexter I thought I would watch this. It's very odd indeed but I'm enjoying it.

I didn't make it past the first episode of Treme or Broadwalk Empire, but I've enjoyed watching Blue Bloods.

Ooh, late to this thread, but good stuff. Really into Boardwalk Empire currently, and I think the Wire is the greatest thing ever in the history of TV. Amazing characters and writing. Highly recommended!

Also watched the first episode of Treme a few days back. Need to get stuck into the next few and hope it draws me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I am now watching 6 Feet Under. Never watched it the first time and due to liking Michael C Hall in Dexter I thought I would watch this. It's very odd indeed but I'm enjoying it.
    Six Feet Under is a great programme.

Ive seen all of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, The Corner, The Wire, The Shield and love them all. Another I can highly remommend is Sons of Anarchy which should be on FX in the UK.

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    I'm still loving Boardwalk too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    I'm still loving Boardwalk too.
    About halfway through and enjoying it. The other half doesn't agree with the female nudity occuring what seems every ten minutes though!

FX are re-running The Wire as we speak for those interested. This week was episode 2 of series one ('The Detail'). Not sure if they'll repeat it or do a catch up from episode one, but even if you have missed the first couple it should still be possible to get up to speed with events so far. Can't recommend this programme enough.

This link has all seasons streamed so if necessary you could watch episodes 1 and 2 of series one on here:

http://www.freeonlineepisodes.net/wa...-full-seasons/

You're welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    FX are re-running The Wire as we speak for those interested. This week was episode 2 of series one ('The Detail'). Not sure if they'll repeat it or do a catch up from episode one, but even if you have missed the first couple it should still be possible to get up to speed with events so far. Can't recommend this programme enough.

This link has all seasons streamed so if necessary you could watch episodes 1 and 2 of series one on here:

http://www.freeonlineepisodes.net/wa...-full-seasons/

You're welcome...
    Cheers for this Toon.

I've been looking for online streaming of The Wire I've only ever been able to find the first series!

The Pacific starts on Saturday at 9pm.

Is this the show people on here were raving about a while back? Think it was only shown on Sky Movies?

I really don't see why the Wire is so highly rated. It's a good series but not anything that makes me think it's one of the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsewolf View Post
    I really don't see why the Wire is so highly rated. It's a good series but not anything that makes me think it's one of the best ever.
    Yes good point. Time magazine and milions of fans must be wrong,
    Its really not that good. Two and a half men is much better....

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Yes good point. Time magazine and milions of fans must be wrong,
    Its really not that good. Two and a half men is much better....
    That's called an opinion, you're acting like a real dick today and to then sarcastically praise one of the most commercially successful series ever makes you look like a moron as well.

Commercially successful does not equal critical acclaim or awards. The Wire was named Greatest ever TV show for a good reason.

I dont intend to be a dick today, just fed up of the 'i know better, man of the world' drivel comin from a schoolkid who lives in Holland!
    Why you feel the need to critise the NHS is beyond me when its quite clear you havent got a clue what you're on about

Commercially successful does not equal critical acclaim or awards. The Wire was named Greatest ever TV show for a good reason.
    I never said it was a good show, I said it was extremely successful and you're telling me you're fed with my know it all attitude, hypocrite.

BTW don't use the fact I come from Holland as a reason why I should know nothing about the NHS, you know nothing about me.

Ive read enough to be able to tell you're a keyboard warrior. I can still remember your rant against muslims and other such garbage.

Ive read enough to be able to tell you're a keyboard warrior. I can still remember your rant against muslims and other such garbage.
    An attempt at an insult, pathetic.

I merely asked why the Wire was rated so highly, no need for your sarcastic response. As for my "rant" against muslims I live in a different country (as you so openly acknowledged before) and thus you can't compare Muslims in Ireland to the Muslims here. BTW look that thread up, I have no problem with Muslims (well at least no more than I have against any religion) I have a problem with unbridled immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsewolf View Post
    The reason it's so highly rated is because the acting is superb, the scripts sharp, clever, funny and realistic, the content of every single episode is thought provoking and intelligent, the cinematography brilliant, the score (soundtrack) sublime and did I mention the acting and the script? There has never been a long running series that has been so consistently fantastic in every single episode in every single series. Now, personally the best thing that I have ever watched is Band of Brothers, but that is only 10 episodes; The Wire is faultless for 60 episodes. And I mean faultless. The 3rd series is often said to be 'not as good' and yet every episode is brilliant. And I think that is pretty much why The Wire is considered so ground breaking. Along with the fact that some of the cast are people who they got from the very streets where the series is set...

The acting and scripts are very good but the characters (as far as I've seen) aren't very likeable, obviously this might have something to do with the realism or just simply my opinion but it severely hampers me wanting to follow them around trying to roll up criminals (mainly drugdealers etc. as I've only really watched the first season) or follow them around in their day to day struggles as I couldn't care for the main characters. It does add to the exploring of the social themes in the series but again I haven't watched it long enough to really get into that. Though I've heard the seasons differ quite a bit so I might have another look.

Most of the characters are flawed, that's what makes them seem real. The more you watch the more you get to like them (well, some of them). Even the 'bad guys' have likeable traits, they aren't black and white, the characterisation of both police and gangsters has real shades of grey. IMO that makes it even more brilliant, not less so. Things with formulaic characters that are obvious are predictable and tedious after a while. Omar, the gay gangster who robs drug dealers is a perfect example. A fantastic character. And the different series do focus on different things- the Port Authority, the press, the city hall and politicians, but underlying it all is the war on the drug dealers. Quite simply brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    The reason it's so highly rated is because the acting is superb, the scripts sharp, clever, funny and realistic, the content of every single episode is thought provoking and intelligent, the cinematography brilliant, the score (soundtrack) sublime and did I mention the acting and the script? There has never been a long running series that has been so consistently fantastic in every single episode in every single series. Now, personally the best thing that I have ever watched is Band of Brothers, but that is only 10 episodes; The Wire is faultless for 60 episodes. And I mean faultless. The 3rd series is often said to be 'not as good' and yet every episode is brilliant. And I think that is pretty much why The Wire is considered so ground breaking. Along with the fact that some of the cast are people who they got from the very streets where the series is set...
    The 3rd season is my favourite personally