Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 1,231 to 1,250 of 1250

Thread: A jolly good read?

A Decent Ride - Irvine Welsh

Following on from the Edinburgh scene, Welsh follows the activities of prolific shagger Juice Terry and his sexual exploits. Written in the usual manner of a Welsh novel heavily accented in his native Edinburgh accent and language, what could have turned a bit one dimensional fairly quickly turns into a pretty decent novel, its well worth a read if, like me, you appreciate Welsh's rare mix of dark humour and wit.

Just started reading 'Bird Therapy' by Joe Harkness. It's uncanny how many parallels there between what he describes in the book and what I've experienced. Seriously good stuff.

Borrowed a few of Michael Calvin's books off my dad the other day and started reading the first one, where he follows Jackett round at Millwall for season.

Must confess to being rather underwhelmed so far, seen nothing but praise for his work but I'm finding it really tough going to get through any of it. So far there's not been anything massively insightful, lower level players shit themselves with injuries as that could be career over and struggle to earn enough at their level to retire early or players that act full cunt on the pitch aren't necessarily the same off the pitch. I find his writing style a bit flowery too, starting chapters with random seemingly irrelevant stories or just completely over-egging descriptions of relatively mundane events.

All in all just finding it a bit of a disappointment so far, going to try and battle through the rest of it to see if the rest of it does any better for me but can't see me reading his other books if it stays like this.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I don't think I've ever read so many books in a year before - I've just finished the 15th book of 2019, which is a lot for me!

1. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
    2. Sea of Thieves: Athena's Fortune by Chris Allcock
    3. How To Be Right in a World Gone Wrong by James O'Brien
    4. Old Too Soon, Smart Too Late by Kieron Dyer with Oliver Holt
    5. Our Story by Ron and Reg Kray with Fred Dineage
    6. Step By Step - The Life in My Journeys by Simon Reeve
    7. How Not To Be A Boy by Robert Webb
    8. Cheer Up Peter Reid by Peter Reid
    9. The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
    10. Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View by various authors
    11. Survivor – Auschwitz, The Death March and My Fight for Freedom by Sam Pivnik
    12. Daughters of the Dragon by William Andrews
    13. The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey
    14. The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
    15. Vespasian - Tribune of Rome by Robert Fabbri

I'd hugely recommend James O'Brien's book, Robert Webb's autobiography, and above all the others the amazing Daughters of the Dragon which is historical fiction based on fact about the horrific ordeals suffered by Korean women who were forced to work as 'comfort women' for the Japanese in WW2.

The last one on the list is really cool - the first in a series of 8 books about the life of Emperor Vespasian. Basically I, Claudius mixed with Gladiator. Good fun, easy to read, very entertaining, a good mix of political intrigue and bloody violence with cameos from important figures in Roman history. It's ace - I'm going to buy some of the others in the series before my holiday next month as they're all cheap on Kindle at the moment.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I don't think I've ever read so many books in a year before - I've just finished the 15th book of 2019, which is a lot for me!

11. Survivor Auschwitz, The Death March and My Fight for Freedom by Sam Pivnik

I'd hugely recommend James O'Brien's book, Robert Webb's autobiography, and above all the others the amazing Daughters of the Dragon which is historical fiction based on fact about the horrific ordeals suffered by Korean women who were forced to work as 'comfort women' for the Japanese in WW2.

The last one on the list is really cool - the first in a series of 8 books about the life of Emperor Vespasian. Basically I, Claudius mixed with Gladiator. Good fun, easy to read, very entertaining, a good mix of political intrigue and bloody violence with cameos from important figures in Roman history. It's ace - I'm going to buy some of the others in the series before my holiday next month as they're all cheap on Kindle at the moment.
    Just read Children of Time a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it, though it felt there could be more to the story. Perhaps the start of a trilogy?
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Just read Children of Time a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it, though it felt there could be more to the story. Perhaps the start of a trilogy?
    Yes - I think the follow up has just been released, but I've not read it yet. I enjoyed Children of Time - a very interesting concept.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes - I think the follow up has just been released, but I've not read it yet. I enjoyed Children of Time - a very interesting concept.
    So it has!

Children of Ruin http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...ildren-of-ruin
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Picked Scrublands by Chris Hammer up on the Kindle Store for 99p a couple of days ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Normally this sort of stuff is throwaway trash, but this is actually very good. Set in the Australian outback with a really 'noir' type of story.
    Just finished this book and I agree that it is good.

I don't know if you have read The Dry by Jane Harper but it has a similar theme (a historic crime gets solved in the Australian outback during a drought) and is a very good book. Better than Scrublands in my opinion.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

11. Survivor Auschwitz, The Death March and My Fight for Freedom by Sam Pivnik

Given the content of your list langers, Eyewitness Auschwitz by Filip Muller is a must read (if you haven't already).
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Given the content of your list langers, Eyewitness Auschwitz by Filip Muller is a must read (if you haven't already).
    Thanks mate - I'll look out for that. I read a lot about Auschwitz before I visited it in June, but always keen to learn more.

Think I've mentioned before,auschwitz by miklos niyiski (or something like that) is worth a read he was a Dr who did autopsies on mengeles test subjects,among other things.

How did you find the tour? I found the belongings bought home how industrial a killing machine it was
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Harrowing. The thing that struck me most was how big Birkenau is. It's absolutely vast - miles bigger than I thought. And I cant imagine what it must have been like at its busiest.

The tour was very good and very well organised, I'm pleased I went because I think it's something you have to do if you're in the area.

I thought the birkinau Bit of the tour was a lot better,not as rushed,and like you say massive,you see YouTube videos,or documentaries,hear the numbers but means nothing until you visit and it's like shit! This is huge,and the tiny railway cart they got 100 or so people in,and the shiver up the spine at the literal end of the line.
    Then you go into auschwitz town centre and it's a gorgeous little town,completely at odds with what you think you know about the place
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Didn’t even realise I had access to Prime Reading through my Amazon subscription, found out a couple of weeks ago. Think I’ve burned through about twelve books since finding out. I’ve always been one to like holding a book, there’s something magic about them, and always swore I could never read digital, but the Kindle app on my phone makes it so easy. I’m converted.

The pickings are obviously slim as the choice is pretty narrow, and while I haven’t unearthed any gems yet there have been some semi decent reads. A couple of stinkers thrown in as well but it’s only to be expected for ‘free’.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

I much prefer a dead tree, but for lighter packing to go on holiday a kindle is a Godsend.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

There's first reads too - free early released books for pirme members.
    )

Just spent nearly 2 hours in possibly the betst second bookshop I have ever seen - just stupid amounts of brilliant books. Managed to escape having only bought 4 books. .
    )

Bitten By Wolves: Anybody read it? Any good?
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

Started reading the exorcist last night. I've not seen the film...
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

William Blatty wrote a superb book there. It's tremendous.

Watch the film afterwards. It is also tremendous.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota