Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A jolly good read?

When I was younger I got into the Sven Hassell books about a penitentary regiment in the German army in the second world war. Brilliant books and I occasionally get them out for a re-read when have got nothing I fancy to read. Also enjoy fantasy type books, LOTR, Discworld, Necroscope series, Eternal Champion etc.
    Best books I have read recently include Hammer of the Gods (Led Zepellin biography), Julian Copes autobiography - Head on and Sandy Galls autobiography - Don't worry about the money now. I am still trying to read a book a week, but find life tends to get in the way a bit!
    Two FISH in a tank, one says you man the gun and I'll drive

I'll give The Book Thief another vote as well, it was left in our house for some reason by a friend, so i just started reading it and was totally gripped.

I am currently reading Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch on the recommendation of a colleague, which basically goes into the role of conspiracy theories in modern life.

If anybody likes the film, try the original Stephen King short story of The Shawshank Redemption.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Half way through Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela, and it's one of the most gripping books I have ever read. Incredible stuff.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by broughtonwolf View Post
    I'll give The Book Thief another vote as well, it was left in our house for some reason by a friend, so i just started reading it and was totally gripped.

I am currently reading Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch on the recommendation of a colleague, which basically goes into the role of conspiracy theories in modern life.

If anybody likes the film, try the original Stephen King short story of The Shawshank Redemption.
    This is a good shout. I think it comes in a collection called 'Different Seasons' under the title 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption' and is one of the best things King has ever written. I'm almost certain it's in the same collection as 'The Body' which was made into 'Stand By Me', also one of King's best. In fact I personally think his best writing is his non-horror work.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

It does, also another book I wasn't bothered about reading but thought I would give it a try as it was lying about. I am not that big a fan of horror, either on film or in books, but the narrative in these stories is excellent. I read the Shawshank story a couple of years before it came out, Stand By Me I had seen already. I still subscribe to the view that books are generally better than films when one has been made into the other.

For all those of you with eye pads, applephones, e bay krimbles, or other such high tech wizardry, The Book Depository is offering over 11,000 e books, for you to download free.

After an hour of browsing and finally seeing a book i liked, i then found out my wind up pc is simply too high tech, bugger!

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/free...fer&chan=code1
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    Best book I've read recently- 'Think of a Number' by John Verdon.

Best book I've ever read- 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Absolutely essential reading IMO. If you don't weep with both sadness and joy then you have a heart made of stone. It will, in time, deservedly be seen as a classic along with such books as 'Of Mice and Men', '1984', 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'Catch 22' etc etc...
    Thanks Toon - I've just downloaded both to my Kindle.

I'm just going through the Shardlake books by C J Sansom at the moment. They are an excellent read.

With reference to Stephen King...I think people tend to dismiss him to easily.
    Hearts in Atlantis, The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne and The Stand are absolutely superb.

Welcome to the forum, Hereford.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Wolf View Post
    I've just downloaded both to my Kindle.

Ah Kindle,i'm thinking of getting one,what do you reckon?,i've got wifi in the house so the cheaper version would probably be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    Seconded. Good to see you on here mate.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    Shouldn't that be thirded?

Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    Ah Kindle,i'm thinking of getting one,what do you reckon?,i've got wifi in the house so the cheaper version would probably be ok?
    I wast to buy an ebook reader, but I've been put off the Kindle because:

a. You're stuck to buying books from Amazon, and they've been known to accidentally wipe Kindles
    b. You can't borrow ebooks for it from libraries, which when you read as much as me is a must-have feature.

I'm umming and ahhing over a Sony or an iRiver, but I haven't decided which one. I'm also worrying about whether you can swap books from one reader to another, given that the missus reads nearly as much as me and we don't want to be in the silly position of trying to work out which reader you need.

Hmm,might need a bit more research then.

Thanks a lot - it's nice to be here.

Thanks - it's like being with old friends!

Alright Hereford
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it is fantastic - I highly recommend one. You only need the cheaper version - you can download 10 books in 5 minutes so you're never going to run out on your travels!

All I would say is buy yourself a nice, leather cover. It makes it 'feel' right.

Quote Originally Posted by North West Wanderer View Post
    Alright Hereford
    Fine thanks NWW!

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it is fantastic - I highly recommend one. You only need the cheaper version - you can download 10 books in 5 minutes so you're never going to run out on your travels!

All I would say is buy yourself a nice, leather cover. It makes it 'feel' right.
    Cheers mate,i have to say all the reviews i have read have been positive.

Agreed.

It is always good to have intelligent and sensible posters on here...God knows how they let Langdale on...
    Last edited by Toon Wolf; 15th February 2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Agreed.

It is always good to have intelligent and sensible posters on here...God knows how they let Langdale on...

You're banned, arse breath.

Agreed.

Thanks for the compliment Toon, although I'm not sure those adjectives apply to me!

Can we abuse Langdale verbally now he is in a position of power??
    We never lose. We either win or we learn.

You're banned, arse breath.

Thanks for the compliment Toon, although I'm not sure those adjectives apply to me!

Can we abuse Langdale verbally now he is in a position of power??
    Absolutely, in fact it's almost compulsory. Besides, he only thinks he's in a position of power, really he's just Jinky's puppet...

Thanks Penk.

Very happy and pleased with all the civilised greetings around here.......
    We never lose. We either win or we learn.

I recommend a book called 'Adrenaline' by Jeff Abbott, especially for those who like Lee Child's books. Very gripping thriller, fast paced and action packed.

I recommend a book called 'Adrenaline' by Jeff Abbott, especially for those who like Lee Child's books. Very gripping thriller, fast paced and action packed.
    I will have to look that up.

I am currently reading "The Cell" by Stephen King. I bought it about four years ago when I was in Edinburgh but have never got round to reading it until now. Very good.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I recently read Coma by Alex Garland, of the Beach fame. Very quick book to read. Idea is interesting. Could've done with expanding on methinks...

Interesting you're reading The Cell DW. I hadn't read any Stephen King for years, & recently picked up & read his "On Writing" book, which was very informative, and also very matter of fact. I really liked it, & it has made me re-visit King by picking up The Dead Zone.

I generally really like Kings books, but the last 4-5 pages usually ruin it.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Read Alan Sugars autobiography during my stint by a pool in Mexico. It's hard for someone not come across as a arrogant man when you are sitting on a pile of cash. However the book is very good for an insight into football and displaying what a corrupt nobjockey Terry Venables is.