Page 1 of 171 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Thread

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)

The Film Thread

We haven't got one (well, we might have has one before the big server crash) so here's another one.

Finally saw Inception last Sunday - fantastic stuff. A very complex plot, but I thought it was gripping stuff.

We now get a free DVD/Blu-ray rental every Sunday, so does anyone have anything they'd recommend? I haven't seen much recently - last time I went to the cinema was to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (i.e. not even the latest Harry Potter film) so I've missed out on loads.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I didn't think that the plot was too complex. the film was far too long IMO/IMV. I did enjoy it nevertheless.

The last film I saw was The Black Swan. I'm waiting to go and see True Grit.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    We haven't got one (well, we might have has one before the big server crash) so here's another one.

Finally saw Inception last Sunday - fantastic stuff. A very complex plot, but I thought it was gripping stuff.

We now get a free DVD/Blu-ray rental every Sunday, so does anyone have anything they'd recommend? I haven't seen much recently - last time I went to the cinema was to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (i.e. not even the latest Harry Potter film) so I've missed out on loads.
    If you haven't already seen it I'd recommend the terrific (Swedish original not US remake) 'Let The Right One In', gruesome in parts but a brilliant vampire movie.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    I didn't think that the plot was too complex. the film was far too long IMO/IMV. I did enjoy it nevertheless.

The last film I saw was The Black Swan. I'm waiting to go and see True Grit.
    Reviews of this have been outstanding, might be one that makes me drag my ass out to the cinema during half term week.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

I will take cover after posting.

I've watched the three Twilight films lately and thought they were quite good. The wife had Sky+ the first about 6 months ago and I'd been putting her off watching it and even more so after Squeeze's comments, as I was expecting it to be crap, but I thought they were pretty good.

Am off to see the fighter tonight and Paul on Wednesday, bit of a cinemathon this week. Heard the fighter is top, and you can't really go wrong with a Simon Pegg film
    Two FISH in a tank, one says you man the gun and I'll drive

One of my favourite films was green mile, though not a great film buff

Putting it here as it doesn't seem worth another thread, but the BAFTA ceremony has to be the most toe-curlingly bad stuff I have seen in a while. Cues missed all over the place, crap speeches, people forgetting to go to the stage, opening the envelope before the nominations.

I am pining for Mick Fleetwood and Sam Fox as presenters, I really am....
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Huge film fan, but in my current fucked up mind-set I've got no chance with Inception.

Watched La Haine today - gripping.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by North West Wanderer View Post

Watched La Haine today - gripping.
    Fantastic movie. The behaviour by some of the younger French rugby fans in Dublin today was very La Haine-esque to say the least

Anyone on here seen Chopper?
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Inception is brilliant, worringly i seem to be fond of quite a few Di Caprio films.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    Inception is brilliant, worringly i seem to be fond of quite a few Di Caprio films.
    The Departed was fantastic. I have to say (and I am aware that I will be in a significant minority here) but I preferred it to Goodfellas...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Give me a zombie type film any time - just watched the remake of Crazies....great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    The Departed was fantastic. I have to say (and I am aware that I will be in a significant minority here) but I preferred it to Goodfellas...
    both are amazing films. Saw Departed in the cinema. A lot of people complained about the length of it but for me, it moved so fast that it felt like an hour, not 3
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

The Departed

Goodfellas...
    I like both equally.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Check out Flame and Citron,Danish epic about the resistance,it's one of the best second world war films i've ever seen,it was doing the rounds on Sky at the end of last year.

Jinky is online now Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    My valentines day plans - myself and the mrs are off to rent 'The Social Network' this evening. We'll get a bottle of wine in and relax in front of that... which sounds pretty perfect if you ask me. We were in London all weekend and I'm shattered!

Quote Originally Posted by The Saturday Boy View Post
    Give me a zombie type film any time - just watched the remake of Crazies....great stuff.
    Fantastic fim. The missus is a true zombie officianado and watches /reads anything zombie oriented. If you want a fantastic read try J.L.Bournes 'day to day armageddon' and 'beyond exile' books.

On a different note, The Fighter really is the best film have seen in a long while. Christian Bale is unbelievable in it and completely steals the show. It's worth watching just for his performance.
    Two FISH in a tank, one says you man the gun and I'll drive

The BAFTAs was awful but much as I want to dislike Colin Firth, The King's Speech was an excellent film. As was A Single Man - slow and quiet but really stylish, a little like Madmen.

Next on the Lovefilm watch list is A Prophet. I've only heard good things so I hope it lives up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    My valentines day plans - myself and the mrs are off to rent 'The Social Network' this evening. We'll get a bottle of wine in and relax in front of that... which sounds pretty perfect if you ask me. We were in London all weekend and I'm shattered!
    I liked The Social Network, probably not that entertaining as an out and out film but some very interesting things in there from a kind of documentary stand point.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

my take on the films mentioned that i've seen

inception - loved it, brilliant
    let the right one in (original) - loved it, brilliant
    La Haine - brilliant film
    Departed - hated it, Di Caprio was very good, nicholson's performance for me was a complete indulgence.
    Goodfellas - loved it
    King's speech - enjoyed it for what it is
    Social network - worth seeing, might have been better as a documentary.

really want to see the fighter.

Watched quite a good Argentinian film over the weeked with the missus, called The secret in their eyes

I preferred the original Hong Kong film it was based on. It also avoided the cop out Hollywood ending.

Midnight run was on last night on itv4, top stuff.
    Last edited by Jack Regan; 14th February 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Regan View Post
    I preferred the original Hong Kong film it was based on. It also avoided the cop out Hollywood ending.
    Good film. Was it 'Internal Affairs' or as I'm sure I've seen it billed 'Infernal Affairs'?

Enjoyed the premise if not the execution of Babylon AD - I like my dystopian futures.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

Good film. Was it 'Internal Affairs' or as I'm sure I've seen it billed 'Infernal Affairs'?
    Infernal is correct, there were 2 sequel's also though not as good.

Saw Brighton Rock last week and it wasn't great tbh - stick with the original.

Black Swan was full of things I'd seen before but never in the same place - an unusual study of mental breakdown and Natalie Portman is in it which is always good.

Very keen to see True Grit and Paul although I was dissapointed with Hot Fuzz.

The Social Network is outstanding - everyone should see it.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Regan View Post
    Infernal is correct, there were 2 sequel's also though not as good.
    Given the nature of the story, I'd always thought 'Infernal' was a misprint or a mistranslation, since 'Internal Affairs' seems to make much more sense as a title!

Black Swan is a masterpiece in its own way. I do like Darren Aranofsky - Pi & Requiem for a Dream are sublime films.

Aside from Goodfellas, not seen much of what is in the thread so far.

Squeeze and I watched the Illusionist on Saturday night. Very entertaining film and worth a view.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Squeeze and I watched the Illusionist on Saturday night. Very entertaining film and worth a view.
    If you liked that you should also try The Prestige which is based on the excellent book of the same name by Christopher Priest (I think). I suggest reading the book first.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Watched The Town starring Ben Affleck last night. Didn't think I'd like it but was pleasantly surprised.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln