Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 4890

Thread: The Film Thread

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overloon/Tilburg, Holland
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    Watched The Town starring Ben Affleck last night. Didn't think I'd like it but was pleasantly surprised.
    As long as it is on no way related to the Village it has a chance

  2. #32
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43,571

    The Film Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
    Social network - worth seeing, might have been better as a documentary.
    I read somewhere that this film is a big load of bollocks concerning the lead character. As the founder of Facebook is duller than the worlds dullest thing and if they portrayed him as he is, viewers would have died in their sleep.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I read somewhere that this film is a big load of bollocks concerning the lead character. As the founder of Facebook is duller than the worlds dullest thing and if they portrayed him as he is, viewers would have died in their sleep.
    Its based on a book called the accidental billionaires so how truthful it is I don't know. I read somewhere though that the reason that Zuckberg hasn't kicked up a fuss about the film or book is because when the whole story came out in court it would leave him looking an even bigger arsehole.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    spiderland
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I read somewhere that this film is a big load of bollocks concerning the lead character. As the founder of Facebook is duller than the worlds dullest thing and if they portrayed him as he is, viewers would have died in their sleep.
    If what you say is true then I think the film accurately portrays the lead character as a dull unlikeable wanker. I still think the film is worth seeing as a commentary of our times - I also think it would have been better as a documentary so we could see things as they actually are rather than a piece of fiction. For all the millions of $ involved the characters all seemed pretty sad. As for the film, worth seeing, but not worthy of any awards imo.

  5. #35
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43,571

    The Film Thread

    In reality I don't think he is a wanker, just DULL. They added the wanker bit for the movie.

  6. #36
    Jinky's Avatar
    Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just outside of Oxford
    Posts
    26,366
    Watched Social Network last night. What a wonderful film.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    477
    I've started to get back into watching movies again, hardly watched any to be honest. When films are always brought up in conversations with my mates and they are like "no way, you haven't lived if you haven't seen so and so..".

    Watched all of the Pirates Of The Caribbean's and The Social Network in the last two days. I've got Grown Ups, Law Abiding Citizen and Gulliver's Travels up next.

    Any films you guys reckon I download? If I had a type of film I like its probably comedy...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    5,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I've started to get back into watching movies again, hardly watched any to be honest. When films are always brought up in conversations with my mates and they are like "no way, you haven't lived if you haven't seen so and so..".

    Watched all of the Pirates Of The Caribbean's and The Social Network in the last two days. I've got Grown Ups, Law Abiding Citizen and Gulliver's Travels up next.

    Any films you guys reckon I download? If I had a type of film I like its probably comedy...
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, go to Youtube and search for Mark Kermode reviewing Pirates of the Caribbean 2. It's a thing of beauty! The best stream of consciousness diatribe I have ever seen, even if you like the film.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    2,461
    Mark Kermode

    Hate..hate...hate.......kill...kill......
    We never lose. We either win or we learn.

  10. #40
    Kermode is brilliant (IMO/IMV)
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Castlecroft or Wightwick if you're posh.
    Posts
    8,703
    Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Kermode is brilliant (IMO/IMV)
    Agreed,he should have got Film 2010 when Jonathon Ross went,the only film critic worth listening to.(IMO/IMV)

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    6,996
    Dan, A few classics to get you going in Film, not all comedies but most essential viewing


    The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

    The Godfather (1972)

    The Godfather: Part II (1974)

    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

    Pulp Fiction (1994)

    Schindler's List (1993)

    12 Angry Men (1957)


    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)


    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

    Seven Samurai (1954)


    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

    Goodfellas (1990)

    Casablanca (1942)


    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)


    Rear Window (1954)

    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

    The Matrix (1999)

    Psycho (1960)

    The Usual Suspects (1995)

    The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

    Se7en (1995)

    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)


    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

    Sunset Boulevard (1950)

    Forrest Gump (1994)

    Leon (1994)

    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)

    Citizen Kane (1941)

    North by Northwest (1959)

    American History X (1998)

    Taxi Driver (1976)

    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

    Saving Private Ryan (1998)

    Vertigo (1958)


    Alien (1979)


    The Shining (1980)

    Paths of Glory (1957)

    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

    Double Indemnity (1944)


    A Clockwork Orange (1971)


    The Lives of Others (2006)

    M (1931)

    To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

    The Departed (2006)


    Aliens (1986)

    Das Boot (1981)

    The Third Man (1949)

    Reservoir Dogs (1992)

    L.A. Confidential (1997)

    Chinatown (1974)

    Modern Times (1936)


    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

    Back to the Future (1985)

    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

    Raging Bull (1980)

    Cinema Paradiso (1988)

    Singin' in the Rain (1952)

    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

    Some Like It Hot (1959)


    Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

    Amadeus (1984)

    The Green Mile (1999)


    Full Metal Jacket (1987)


    The Great Dictator (1940)
    Last edited by Paul; 16th February 2011 at 07:43 AM.
    I have 2 friends

  13. #43
    Jinky's Avatar
    Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just outside of Oxford
    Posts
    26,366
    The Mrs has got us tickets to watch Black Swan tonight. I've heard mixed opinions on this. Weirdly a couple of girls I know didn't like it but two blokes I work with loved it. Apparantly it's pretty dark... anyone seen it who can offer an opinion?

  14. #44
    I've seen it and I thought that it was good.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    The Mrs has got us tickets to watch Black Swan tonight. I've heard mixed opinions on this. Weirdly a couple of girls I know didn't like it but two blokes I work with loved it. Apparantly it's pretty dark... anyone seen it who can offer an opinion?
    It is dark. Theres loads of weird imagery in it and you're not sure whats real and what isn't until near the end. Some of the scenes are quite gross - like something out of a Cronenberg film. Its like a cross between Flashdance and The Fly. My missus wasn't keen and I think its because they expect a nice ballet film and what they get is some weird shit.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    88,639
    Saw The Dark Knight for the first time today (yes, I'm so up with the times).

    Utterly awesome.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  17. #47
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,793
    Treated myself to the 2-disc special edition of The Killing Fields from Play. Absolute incredible piece of cinema. There's a 60 minute documentary on the 2nd disc which I'm looking forward to seeing, as I'm interested in the history of the Khmer Rouge.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Dan, A few classics to get you going in Film, not all comedies but most essential viewing


    The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

    The Godfather (1972)

    The Godfather: Part II (1974)

    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

    Pulp Fiction (1994)

    Schindler's List (1993)

    12 Angry Men (1957)


    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)


    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

    Seven Samurai (1954)


    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

    Goodfellas (1990)

    Casablanca (1942)


    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)


    Rear Window (1954)

    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

    The Matrix (1999)

    Psycho (1960)

    The Usual Suspects (1995)

    The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

    Se7en (1995)

    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)


    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

    Sunset Boulevard (1950)

    Forrest Gump (1994)

    Leon (1994)

    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)

    Citizen Kane (1941)

    North by Northwest (1959)

    American History X (1998)

    Taxi Driver (1976)

    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

    Saving Private Ryan (1998)

    Vertigo (1958)


    Alien (1979)


    The Shining (1980)

    Paths of Glory (1957)

    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

    Double Indemnity (1944)


    A Clockwork Orange (1971)


    The Lives of Others (2006)

    M (1931)

    To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

    The Departed (2006)


    Aliens (1986)

    Das Boot (1981)

    The Third Man (1949)

    Reservoir Dogs (1992)

    L.A. Confidential (1997)

    Chinatown (1974)

    Modern Times (1936)


    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

    Back to the Future (1985)

    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

    Raging Bull (1980)

    Cinema Paradiso (1988)

    Singin' in the Rain (1952)

    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

    Some Like It Hot (1959)


    Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

    Amadeus (1984)

    The Green Mile (1999)


    Full Metal Jacket (1987)


    The Great Dictator (1940)
    Hell of a list and I concur. Just skip Godfather Part 3 its just not worth it!
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    6,996
    Quote Originally Posted by North West Wanderer View Post
    Hell of a list and I concur. Just skip Godfather Part 3 its just not worth it!
    You play the guitar and I'll play the keyboard and we can reinact that godawfull advert off the telly.
    I have 2 friends

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    6,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    Treated myself to the 2-disc special edition of The Killing Fields from Play. Absolute incredible piece of cinema. There's a 60 minute documentary on the 2nd disc which I'm looking forward to seeing, as I'm interested in the history of the Khmer Rouge.
    Must agree, quality film.such a shame for Haing S Ngor to survive all that and then get shot and killed in America !
    Why the interest in the Khmer Rouge ? not nice people from my recollection.
    I have 2 friends

  21. #51
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Must agree, quality film.such a shame for Haing S Ngor to survive all that and then get shot and killed in America !
    Why the interest in the Khmer Rouge ? not nice people from my recollection.
    'Interest', not 'admiration'!

    I just find it fascinating how such an organisation could exist in such times, and how they were allowed to continue their brutal regime for so long (granted it was 'only' 4 years, but the fact was that they murdered millions of their own people). I also find it a bit of a shame that we never learned about such matters at school, something I've also found whilst reading Nelson Mandela's book. Such struggles and other going on nowadays should be taught about in schools. (I am of couse referring to my own education, it may have changed now, I wouldn't know).
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You play the guitar and I'll play the keyboard and we can reinact that godawfull advert off the telly.
    ha!! If my missus said she preferred that one I'd divorce her!
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33,025
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse...7C26130845.htm

    I'm going to buy one of these today, does anyone know any good sites to download films?

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse...7C26130845.htm

    I'm going to buy one of these today, does anyone know any good sites to download films?
    I know plenty - whether I can post them on here is another matter!
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cannock
    Posts
    6,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    'Interest', not 'admiration'!

    I just find it fascinating how such an organisation could exist in such times, and how they were allowed to continue their brutal regime for so long (granted it was 'only' 4 years, but the fact was that they murdered millions of their own people). I also find it a bit of a shame that we never learned about such matters at school, something I've also found whilst reading Nelson Mandela's book. Such struggles and other going on nowadays should be taught about in schools. (I am of couse referring to my own education, it may have changed now, I wouldn't know).
    I think there are a lot of history that could be taught as a lesson to all future generations, Cambodia, Uganda, Bosnia etc. etc. I doubt ever taught in schools but I consider very significant to recent history.
    I have 2 friends

  26. #56
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think there are a lot of history that could be taught as a lesson to all future generations, Cambodia, Uganda, Bosnia etc. etc. I doubt ever taught in schools but I consider very significant to recent history.
    Quite agree. I've read a fair bit about Uganda and Rwana too.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  27. #57
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You play the guitar and I'll play the keyboard and we can reinact that godawfull advert off the telly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1WUQzagAo

  28. #58
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,793
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33,025
    Quote Originally Posted by North West Wanderer View Post
    I know plenty - whether I can post them on here is another matter!
    It wasn't what I thought it was anyway, you can only connect your Ipad, Ipod, etc. to it. I thought I might have been able to connect my computer to it.

  30. #60
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,793
    Just watched The Other Boleyn Girl.

    How disappointing. So very rushed, under-developed relationships, and no proper nudity. And Eric Bana is a shit Henry VIII.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Similar Threads

  1. Desert Island Film
    By Parkins left foot in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16th December 2013, 09:44 AM
  2. BBC Film Thread 1984
    By The Saturday Boy in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th February 2013, 02:31 PM
  3. Love Film recommendations
    By machin05 in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14th January 2012, 01:02 PM
  4. classic film moments !
    By guinnesswolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 14th February 2011, 12:52 PM
  5. Best Christmas Film
    By So Long Architect in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11th December 2010, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •