Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup Thread

Cricket World Cup Thread

The Cricket World Cup starts at the weekend with as usual England approaching the tournament in a state of disarray.

The momentum that England should have taken into the Tournament after retaining the Ashes has disappeared due to a combination of injuries, tiredness, poor planning and poor selections. The 7 ODI series that followed the Ashes was too many matches over too long a period of time. They started off the series with a wicket keeper opening who was then dropped for another wicket keeper to open who was then pushed down the order so that the original one could open again! Ian Bell was in the form of his life, started opening the batting and doing a good job only to be shunted back down the order to accommodate the captain/ wicket keepers and has lost his way

On the bowling front we picked an up and coming seamer who not only wins one match with his batting but also records his country's second best ODI figures of all time. His reward for this was being dropped for the final game for Liam Plunkett who was only picked as cover for injured bowlers.

For the World Cup, we have picked a squad of injured bowlers who may or may not be fit in time with our star spinner both injured and contesting a court case at home.. As for the all rounders I will let Deutsche Wolf tell you all why or how Luke Wright managed to get picked for the squad. We have also picked as specialized drinks carrier as I can't see what else James Treadwell is in the squad for.
    Rant over for now and despite the rumblings above I actually think if we get our best XI on the field for each game (despite the near failure against the might of Canada today!) we may yet have a chance of doing well in the tournament.

My best XI Strauss, Bell, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Bopara, Prior, Yardy, Broad, Swann, Anderson.

What do the rest of you think?

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    I wouldn't say we're in 'disarray' - we beat Canada last night/this morning

Think you're near enough spot on with your favourite 11 although not sure about Big Kev opening the batting...

I think Bopara is shit.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I think Bopara is shit.
    No other recognised batsman in the squad after Morgans injury. Englands only other option would be to pick an additional seamer (or Puke Shite), however that would leave the batting even weaker.

I know. Shocking state of affairs.

Bopara is still shit though. I would rather take Ronnie Irani.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I know. Shocking state of affairs.

Bopara is still shit though. I would rather take Ronnie Irani.
    Just popping off to put a ton on Bopara winning "Player of the World Cup"

Too many out of form players, at least inODI's. Cant see beyond India, though Aussies or SA might run them close

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Just popping off to put a ton on Bopara winning "Player of the World Cup"
    not as long as I have a hole in my arse. He is shit. He always has been shit. He always will be shit.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

For the life of me, I cannot understand why it is being dragged out for six weeks. The final isn't until April 2. I know it has been scheduled to suit the TV companies, but I think the organisers have got it wrong.

When do the ICC get anything right Frank? The last World Cup was a shambles, empty stadia due to ticketing prices and also spread out over too long a period of time. The World 20/20 is then a success so they want one every year. Corruption is then found and they give each player the minimum punishment for a guilty verdict possible. They are ruining the game trying to make as much money as they can which means sucking up to the TV companies.

Test Cricket is dying around the world and they couldn't give a crap as long as their bank balances are bulging.

not as long as I have a hole in my arse. He is shit. He always has been shit. He always will be shit.
    Let's put Puke Shite in then. What with his massive career averages of 21 with the bat and 55 with the ball, in nearly 50 games.

Two fifties ever, one on his debut three and a half years ago, and never more than two wickets in an innings. Fraud.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I am just railing my frustration here. That spot should have been for Morgan and now it looks like he would fit about 10 days into this marathon. Luke Wright is also shit. This does not make Bopara Bradman.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Yes, well Bopara should have been there ahead of Wright. No reason at all why not.

Twitter
    Facebook

Yes, but he is still shit.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Who's your pick for the replacement batsman for Morgan then? Given that the initial diagnosis was that he wouldn't be fit and we had to name our squad without the benefit of clairvoyance (whoever she is).

If his name doesn't rhyme with Games Dildreth I'll be amazed. With his average of under 33 in domestic one day cricket.
    Last edited by Deutsch Wolf; 16th February 2011 at 07:28 PM.

Twitter
    Facebook

I was thinking of Hildreth without doubt, but he is more suited for longer versions of the game. We are looking a little short in the 5,6,7 areas really, so it is difficult to suggest a replacement for Morgan. You are absolutely correct about Luke Wright though - he has done nothing to merit getting in there. With the dearth of options, do you think about going bowler heavy on Indian pitches - it just doesn't look like a winning tactic either.

I blame that Voyance bitch.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Samit Fatel would have gone and played as a spinning all-rounder if he weren't an Asian Jimmy Ormond.

From what we have, I would go:

Strauss, Pietersen, Trott, Bell, Bopara, Prior, Collingwood, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson.

And yes, that *is* Prior ahead of Collingwood, who is in shocking form with the bat but very tidy form with the ball and will be useful in these conditions.

I can't bring myself to pick Michael Yarddog although I expect him to play.

Twitter
    Facebook

Prior will open, I cant see Petersen opening

They've already said he will, Waggy.

Twitter
    Facebook

Sorry i did not realise that. Well its a risk, our best batsman in first.

It's not a risk that I personally would have taken, I'd have gone with Bell, but KP averages about 20 (no exagerration) in ODIs over the last two years, so we're not losing that much by moving him.

Twitter
    Facebook

Bell would do for me, or Prior. Collingwood is lucky to be in the squad,

The thing is you have to have one of prior or pietersen opening because Strauss isn't exactly all about 150.00 run rates. Strauss, Pietersen, Trott, Bell, Collingwood, Prior isn't a bad top six and you can drop Bopara into it at 5 or 6 I suppose, dependent upon circumstances. Actually, if you do that, Prior needs to go ahead of Ginger Viv on form and ensure the run rate ticks over. Then you have Bresnan, Swann, Broad, Anderson. It does bat a fair way down.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

in one dayers i would have Broad batting higher, he is a good batter, who strikes the ball well

Yes - I was thinking about that, but Bresnan can give it one hell of a smack too, and Swann can bat well at times. All I am sure about is the Burnley express is definitely a number eleven in that order!
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

and hes only no11 cos we cant play twelve, but jimmys there for his bowling, and he is bloody good.

The good thing about that is that if we do find ourselves 40-5 or something, we can find a way out.

However, as stated, I am convinced that Yardy will play (he shouldn't) so we need to leave someone out for him. Bopara I suppose.

Trott is our key batsman in this tournament. Wonderful player.

Twitter
    Facebook

Good to see Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood (suited to the sub continent pitches) and RavBop in the runs today.

England 273 all out (49.4 overs)

The tail were skittled in the last over then. It was 268-7 after 48.5
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota