Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager

Football Manager

Not where to post this thread (mods feel free to move if necessary!)

I'm sure some will have seen this, I have just recently come accross it and found it brilliant. For those that haven't and enjoy the addiction Football Manager provides have a read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/...urn=sow-325075

Great story!
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

This game has altered my life over the last 15 years or so. So many times when I could have been doing something useful, I've been steering FC Haka to the Finnish league or, my crowning glory, St Pauli to the UEFA Cup crown.

I think my favourite ever player was around 96/97, Viktor Leonenko from Dynamo Kyiv. Always signed him.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Julius Aghahowa - signed from Shaktar Donetsk for circa 3m. Managed to hit 350 goals for Wolves. Simply ridiculous. I also managed to discover Morten Gamst Pedersen from Tromso well before Blackburn got in there.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    My all conquering Wolves side in the latest CM0102 update is one of my best. I brought back lescott - even though he can't get back in my team. I won EVERYTHING

I signed a great player in the 03/04 Football manager, think he was called Pavel Verbir, possibly Czech, and scored 4 goals on his debut in the League Cup. Became legendary for my Wolves squad as we were promoted and also acheived European glory! His stats all levelled up around 18 -19 and he had good stamina and fitness. Not sure if Ive ever actually seen him in real life, or if he actually exists! Simon Davies was great for me in that game too, always one I signed, as in the game, he became really good and injury free.

Happy days, they are great games, very in-depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Some players are weird, they must have just random stats. Juan Ruiz from Bolivia was awesome for Newcastle and part of my triple Premier League winning team, started a new game with Southampton a few months later, he was awful and I had to release him. Then you sign some players out of pure emotion, Antti Hynynen was a superb Finnish midfielder I had at GAIS and really helped me progress my career. When I subsequently got offered the Sunderland job, I had to take him with me and eventually put him on the coaching staff.

I try not to manage Wolves, I get too involved in it. I have not however worn a suit for a cup final or sang the national anthem, as other people have.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I try not to manage Wolves, I get too involved in it. I have not however worn a suit for a cup final or sang the national anthem, as other people have.
    My Mum came down and shocked the shite out of me at 4am one night, when I yelled loudly 'COME ON!!!' after winning the BCD in the 90th minute. Never worn a suit though!

Suit - no.

Delayed the kick off when playing in a cup final to dig out my copy of Queen's A Night At The Opera to play the final track - God Save The Queen - and stand up to sing - erm..... maybe.......

I lived alone for a while. It sent me a bit doo lally.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You know that thing I had for you? Respect?

It just went flying out of the window.

Twitter
    Facebook

You had respect for me?!

Yeah right - and Steve Corica was a reliable wing wizard.

I had 1% respect as your music taste is ok.

It's gone now. Sorry. I still love you though.

Twitter
    Facebook

Kennedy Bakircioglu (or something like that) was always a good signing for me from some Swedish side. Never heard of him apart from in that game. He was a legendary attacking midfield player. I nearly always played a 4-2-3-1 formation even before it was in vogue. Ahead of my time, me...

Giampaolo Pazzini was another one who I always signed as an 18 year old from Fiorentina. I'm sure he became World Player of the Year and won the Golden Boot in the World Cup twice...
    Last edited by Toon Wolf; 1st March 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    Kennedy Bakircioglu (or something like that) was always a good signing for me from some Norwegian side. Never heard of him apart from in that game. He was a legendary attacking midfield player. I nearly always played a 4-2-3-1 formation even before it was in vogue. Ahead of my time, me...
    Yeah I had him at Molineux at some point ( I usually played about 8-10 seasons before either resigning or buying the next installment of the game)and he was good. Think he had a bit of Turkish in him IIRC?

The stats stystem on some of the Championship manager games was mad. I bought Marc Burchill from Celtic one year, and he was outstanding. 30 goals a season stuff......I dont remember really hearing about him after 2006. Same with with Freddy Adu. Brilliant in the game, when he was hyped up as the next big thing, but didnt live up to the expectations in real life

Anybody using 03/04 no doubted cheated thanks to the Diablo patch....

Never heard of it but I had that year. I remember when I started playing in 97/98 I used to add a manager and join teams like Newcastle and sell off my top players to Wolves etc...
    Stopped all that when I became good at it and shit got REAL

I've spent far too much time playing different installments of FM/CM over the years but didn't get into this seasons as Fletcher was ruled out for 7 months or something silly in an inter squad friendly and i refused to play it again. Most notable achievements i can think of were getting Crewe to become regular Premiership/European contenders from the bottom of the Championship after i'd signed 2 Bulgarian strikers, Kakalov was one, from Litex for about 2m combined and on last seasons i won the Champions League and Premiership with Stafford Rangers.

I too have picked up a few gems before they've turned up in real life, got Tevez for Wolves from Boca Juniors a few years back, i found Gamst Pedersen in Norway too, had Cathcart at Wolves and made a massive profit on him and on last seasons i spent about 14million buying Jack Rodwell to play centre half when he hadn't made a single appearance for Everton on the game.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    I've spent far too much time playing different installments of FM/CM over the years but didn't get into this seasons as Fletcher was ruled out for 7 months or something silly in an inter squad friendly and i refused to play it again. Most notable achievements i can think of were getting Crewe to become regular Premiership/European contenders from the bottom of the Championship after i'd signed 2 Bulgarian strikers, Kakalov was one, from Litex for about 2m combined and on last seasons i won the Champions League and Premiership with Stafford Rangers.

I too have picked up a few gems before they've turned up in real life, got Tevez for Wolves from Boca Juniors a few years back, i found Gamst Pedersen in Norway too, had Cathcart at Wolves and made a massive profit on him and on last seasons i spent about 14million buying Jack Rodwell to play centre half when he hadn't made a single appearance for Everton on the game.
    Definitely by cheating

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Definitely by cheating
    Sure he isnt Kenny under another guise.

No cheating, but i did go through about 15 seasons. By the time i'd made it to the premiership i had about 80 players in the squad as i'd stupidly given people long contracts with add-ons and clauses so they didn't leave until they had to. I think i got up to league 1 with reasonable ease but was then stuck for 3 or 4 years, eventually made it to the Premiership and came back down after 2 seasons, then spent about 10million on a youth team striker called Everitt from Everton who launched me back up and i was much more successful in the Premiership after that.

Thinking about it, it might have been 08/09 season i did it on, in that time i was only attending Uni once a week for one module and hadn't started going out with my girlfriend yet so had endless amounts of spare time that was devoted to FM.
    Last edited by MARKakaJIM; 2nd March 2011 at 12:04 AM.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

2008 version I signed Elliot Michel and Kierisson up front for Wolves after about three seasons and they were bloody lethal. Vincent Enyeama in goal of course. Won the lot.

2011 game, I am now into my third season. Won the FA Cup first season and then went potless in the second after losing to bloody Liverpool in the UEFA cup semi final. This season looks promising, as I am two points clear with a game in hand and have coasted through the UEFA group stages. League cup semi final against Man City to come.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

If I had put as much time and effort into anything else as much as I have done with Football Manager of the last few years I could have taught myself new (and useful) life skills.

I could of even been on the path to achieving great things.

However, this comes down to how you define 'greatness' because personally I think taking Wycombe Wanderers to the Champions League final (only to be defeated) is a great thing!
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

I applied for the Wolves job once saying very similar things to this bloke although I'll admit my achievements weren't as impressive. On the flip side I made it clear in my letter to Jez that I'd do the job for about 10k. He never replied though. Boo Moxley you pie eating fiend.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    I applied for the Wolves job once saying very similar things to this bloke although I'll admit my achievements weren't as impressive. On the flip side I made it clear in my letter to Jez that I'd do the job for about 10k. He never replied though. Boo Moxley you pie eating fiend.
    When Sir Jack was selling the club for nothing, I wrote an email offering to buy the club and got a response! I'll see if I can dig the email out, but I fear it may be lost

Is there anywhere I can download old Championship manager games legally for a netbook....I can't play the new ones because the netbooks arent powerful enough.

Fantastic story. I need to check this game out.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters, half-half scarves
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

I've been playing the game since the original "Championship Manager" for DOS. I dread to think just how many hours of my life I've lost to SI products over the last 20 years.

I had football manager the original on my Sinclair Spectrum IIRC

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I had football manager the original on my Sinclair Spectrum IIRC
    Yes, me too. It had the annoying habit of changing all your "rating 5" players to "rating 1" every close season. And Wolves weren't in it.

That all changed for "Football Manager 2", though, when a certain "S Bull" appeared in the list of about 20 players.

I remember the adverts featuring the picture of the bloke who created the game. He looked like Peter Sutcliffe.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I remember the adverts featuring the picture of the bloke who created the game. He looked like Peter Sutcliffe.
    His face was all over the front of the cassette box too. Kevin Toms?