Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager

Kevin Toms.

Great game for its time. Like most things from the past though, don't play it now, it will just upset you. People get too caught up with "X was better than this now", they really weren't. CM 01/02 was great at the time but it is SHIT now.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Agreed

I wouldn't play Elite now. Plenty of better versions like X2 The Threat about.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Games from 8, 9, 10 years ago have aged pretty well - Halo, for instance, or Project Gotham, or Grand Theft Auto (any of the ones from when it went 3D) - all still very playable. But stuff from the 80s and 90s, forget it, with only a few exceptions. Flashback is still ace, I have it on an emulator, and Rollercoaster Tycoon is still ace.

Twitter
    Facebook

I remember the model for old CM being sign Alex Aguinaga, Mads Jorgensen and Kennedy Bakircioglu (he recently played at Ajax, Toon) and you'd be laden with goals from midfield. Later versions (00-01?) meant signing Helder Postiga, Carlos Martins, David Fox and Garbh Gallagher as youth players on frees and hanging on to them for dear life.

Mogens Laursen was a fucking goal machine from FC Midjtylland (sp.) too. Happy days...

I managed to get York City promoted from the bottom division to the PL in four seasons in 00-01 but didn't make any real headway thereon. I also got Peterborough promoted in the same game but they wouldn't expand the ground or allow high wages so had to sign players on aeons-long contracts to protect their value.

the best part of football manager is signing a player then a couple of years down the line all the big clubs are after him!

notables for me include mascherano, kallstrom, rodallega. you sign them when they are like 18 and then a couple of years down the line they sign for big teams and you feel dead chuffed!

another also great thing is when you have players and you develop a picture of what they look like. then you watch some random match like in the europa league and see them playing and then you are shocked that they look totally different to how you imagined!

Del Woppio is offline PTG Champion 2016/17, 3rd Place 2012/13, TWF FIFA 12 Champions' League Winner
    I do a daily podcast for the fans on the way into work in the car.

When I was getting grief from the ex-wife for staying up all night, I'd go to bed at the same time as her, but set my alarm for 2 hours later. I'd wake up all ninja style, and sneak downstairs. First thing first - got a glass of water that I'd start walking up the stairs with as soon as I heard a noise as my cover.

I do actual press conferences post game, and for new signings. Not the game ones, *actual* talking.

I have also woke the family up whilst celebrating a goal. It was only an equaliser away at Man City, when I was firmly in midtable, but I'd came from 3-0 down and made some radical tactical changes (4-1-2-1-2 to a 3-2-2-3 (new to the players) and felt vindicated. I then went to a 5-4-1 to protect my point...

I've thrown a full can of Pepsi (I had a contract with them/lots in the fridge) at the wall when I missed out on the signing of Jonas Lunden one pre-season.

I've also put on a suit for a cup final.

My biggest achievement was on the 21st of May, 2022 - 4071 days after I took the job of managing League 2 Rotherham - the day The Millers became Champions of Europe.

165 players bought, for 301m. 245 players sold or released, for 269m. A game that I'd been playing for 8 days, 1 hour and 3 minutes. Never has a victory smelled so sweet.

I was rewarded three seasons later, after winning a further 2 CL's and one Premier League with this:

I fucking love this game.

It's a good job I know you, it really is.

Twitter
    Facebook

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)

Amazing scenes, Jeff.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

When I was getting grief from the ex-wife for staying up all night, I'd go to bed at the same time as her, but set my alarm for 2 hours later. I'd wake up all ninja style, and sneak downstairs. First thing first - got a glass of water that I'd start walking up the stairs with as soon as I heard a noise as my cover.

I do actual press conferences post game, and for new signings. Not the game ones, *actual* talking.
    !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Del Woppio - Inspirational stuff!
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

That's funny, Del and if true, I'm concerned, very concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Woppio View Post
    I do a daily podcast for the fans on the way into work in the car.

I have also woke the family up whilst celebrating a goal. It was only an equaliser away at Man City, when I was firmly in midtable, but I'd came from 3-0 down and made some radical tactical changes (4-1-2-1-2 to a 3-2-2-3 (new to the players) and felt vindicated. I then went to a 5-4-1 to protect my point...

I've thrown a full can of Pepsi (I had a contract with them/lots in the fridge) at the wall when I missed out on the signing of Jonas Lunden one pre-season.

I've also put on a suit for a cup final.

My biggest achievement was on the 21st of May, 2022 - 4071 days after I took the job of managing League 2 Rotherham - the day The Millers became Champions of Europe.

165 players bought, for 301m. 245 players sold or released, for 269m. A game that I'd been playing for 8 days, 1 hour and 3 minutes. Never has a victory smelled so sweet.

I was rewarded three seasons later, after winning a further 2 CL's and one Premier League with this:

I fucking love this game.
    Erm...... next time i'll just carry on walking!!! :-)

Does anyone play Hattrick??

Quote Originally Posted by Quirkafleeg View Post
    Is there anywhere I can download old Championship manager games legally for a netbook....I can't play the new ones because the netbooks arent powerful enough.
    The Championship Manager website used to have the 01/02 version as a free download, just put it straight on a CD and play. Not sure if it's still on there though.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrotdude View Post
    The Championship Manager website used to have the 01/02 version as a free download, just put it straight on a CD and play. Not sure if it's still on there though.
    It should be. The cm0102 forum is the only other forum I use regularly. It's pretty easy to download, I do it without a CD.

It only took you 8 days to reach 2022? I'm in 2015 and my game time is in excess of 13 days, although I do leave it on without playing it quite a lot. Currently won 9 out of 9 in season 6 and top of my Champions League group.

But just lost in the League Cup to Championship Southampton. Typical.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I have to admit that I was due to go out for a mate's leaving do when I lived in Manchester, but I lost the Champions League final to Bayern Munich on pens after being 2-0 up at half time. I was so upset, I couldn't face going out, so I stayed in with a bottle of wine, and was ruthless in the following pre-season.

Luckily, I didn't like the bloke very much.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Alright this is way, way more in depth than I was expecting. I'm not even really sure what to do.

continues blindly fumbling around interface
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters, half-half scarves
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

Well after reading this thread i was tempted to try and have a go at something on the newest version of FM that i'd barely played. So i thought about trying to recreate my amazing achievements with Stafford Rangers but instead i'm going to attempt similar feats with AFC Telford starting in Blue SQ North.

Forgot to mention my current progress.

After 9 games, 7 wins and 2 draws, i sit top of the league 3 points clear of 2nd placed Blyth.
    Last edited by MARKakaJIM; 13th March 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    Well after reading this thread i was tempted to try and have a go at something on the newest version of FM that i'd barely played. So i thought about trying to recreate my amazing achievements with Stafford Rangers but instead i'm going to attempt similar feats with AFC Telford starting in Blue SQ North.
    You can get an add-on for Football Manager 2011 which extends the pyramid right down to Level 11. I'm currently playing as Wednesfield, and won the West Midlands league last season. It's really a completely different game down at that level, with amateur players, zero money and attendances of 150 or so...

I have two games going. My main Wolves game is looking fine - about to get into the league cup final in season 3 and comfortably into the later stages of the Europa league. Two games in hand mean I am sitting in sixth, which is a pain in the arse.

My non-league game is Bath City and I am pretty accurately mirroring the real side's conference performance as I sit in 13th.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Won the treble last season, in contention to defend my three titles in the current season although I've been knocked out the League Cup by lower league opposition again.

I didn't find it quite amusing earlier, before a game against Solihull Moors there was a news story commenting that i'd have a strong away following of around 50.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Currently Brighton trying to get them up to the Championship before there new stadium is built! Currently sitting pretty at the top in November with a 4 point cushion!
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

I'm back on CM 01/02 and its brilliant. Got all the updates going on and top of the Prem with Wolves at present...

Why go back to 01/02?
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters, half-half scarves

Quote Originally Posted by t3ch View Post
    Why go back to 01/02?
    Its universally accepted as being the best Championship manager/football manager ever....

Quote Originally Posted by Quirkafleeg View Post
    Its universally accepted as being the best Championship manager/football manager ever....
    Not universally...

It has a big existing fanbase but I find it to be very dull and uninvolving these days. Sign some players, set up your team, press continue endlessly. Plus there are way too many cheat players and formations.

Twitter
    Facebook

I might have to check it out then... FM 11 confuses me though, I doubt I'll have any more success with a different version.

I find it hard to believe a 10 year old game can be the "best" version though... Surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Not universally...

It has a big existing fanbase but I find it to be very dull and uninvolving these days. Sign some players, set up your team, press continue endlessly. Plus there are way too many cheat players and formations.
    Yes universally...