• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manager Hunt 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also don't have the bonus of 5-6 weeks off when we realise going with CV On A Stamp Man was a bad idea for the new guy to come in and get himself across.

We benefitted enormously from the mid-season World Cup break and it would be impossible to say we'd have fared the same without it.

Don’t forget though that we blundered through until that World Cup break with a caretaker until we could persuade Lopetegui.

I’m still fucking pissed off with the whole circus of the last few weeks and especially the last 48 hours. Omnishambles would be putting it kindly. Communication is sparse (which I can live with as football clubs have so much they need to keep behind closed doors) but strategical thinking is just all over the place.

Employing Nathan Jones while asking fans to pay Jürgen Klopp prices is the finishing touch.

In the words of the pistols “ever feel like you’ve been had?”

"Iraola is a forward-thinking, progressive coach with the ambition to have his team play in a way that exhibits confidence on the ball. O’Neil on the other hand, understandably set his team up with reservations. Besides the sensational start at Arsenal back in March and the last-gasp winner at Spurs later in the season, O’Neil’s style of play seemed to have been part of the reason why he lost his job."

Granted that is just a think piece article with some opinions, but O'Neil seems to have been considered too pragmatic and not expansive enough, and they felt that a new manager was better to implement those new ideas. We on the other hand do have better technical players and yet despite needing an attacking coaching boost we have gone for O'Neil and his limited experience that seems to indicate pragmatic and defensive.

Full link

All Fosun want him to do is replicate his Bournemouth form from last season and get us to 38 points. That is the sum of their ambition this year.

It remains to be seen whether he can do that.

“However, I am very confident in our squad, but we do need to be humble with a challenger attitude, as if it was our first Premier League season all over again.”

Trouble is, there's no football knowledge in the club at all. At least Sellars had that going for him.

I'd like to know who else they spoke to that O'Neil outperformed at interview stage.

Call me cynical, I'm also acutely aware they had O'Neil through an ownership transition and wonder if that was part of the appeal.

Trouble is, there's no football knowledge in the club at all. At least Sellars had that going for him.

I'd like to know who else they spoke to that O'Neil outperformed at interview stage.
Lampard and Dean Smith I suspect.

Apparently Sheffield Wednesday thought they could better than GO over the summer yet he’s the best man for the Wolves job. It’s the stuff of fiction. Even managers with previous success such as Lage at Benfica and Gerrard at Rangers have struggled in the PL. Look how Villa and ourselves improved massively by replacing them. GO has been handed an opportunity he doesn’t deserve and all we can hope is that he grasps it with both hands but it’s a huge gamble we don’t need to take. Madness.

Call me cynical, I'm also acutely aware they had O'Neil through an ownership transition and wonder if that was part of the appeal.
To incorrectly paraphrase princess Leia, that's my only hope.

• Haha
Reactions: jlo
It’s just utter stupidity. Reckless, rank idiocy. Get rid of Lop if you must, don’t replace his with GON. Fucking idiots.

Last edited:
The only people who will be happy about his appointment are the fucking media, they’ll love it.

Hoping that the likes of Potter have been throwing their hats in the ring overnight so we don’t get Gary O’No.

Can anyone give some positives/information regarding O'Neil?

* That Bournemouth squad was really shit wasn't it? And he managed to squeeze out some good results.

Screenshot_20230809_091733_Flashscore.jpg

* it looks like they played 4231 under GoN which would suit our players.

* the performances of Billing really improved under him

* they looked nailed on when he took over after that 9-0 defeat.

* the players always looked like they were playing for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back