• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

A bloke I work with gave them me to read back in my early twenties along with Hubert Selby’s Requiem For A Dream to expand my horizons and they really did. It was literally mind blowing compared to what I’d been reading.
Same, in my case it was a guy I shared a flat with - mostly read landfill fiction up to then.

I rarely re read books, I did so with Brave New World about 12 months ago. It's interesting how it comes across a bit different when you're in your 60s to how did in your 20/30s. Will have to revisit 1984.

requiem for a dream is a superb book! The film is fucking intense.
Ragged Trousered Philanthropist is also phenomenal.
Like booz & tredders, went through a phase of those classics, alongside clockwork orange etc.
Orwells Down and out in paris & london is also a brilliant book.

fahrenheit 451 is an awesome book, as is something wicked this way comes, and also the illustrated man.
loved Asimovs Robot Visions when I read that years ago too.

treat yourself mate. animal farm, 1984, road to wigan pier, down and out in paris and london etc are all magnificent!
I like 'Keep The Aspidistra Flying' as well. I read 'Burmese Days' years ago, which I found a bit of a slog.
Have never read 'A Homage to Catalonia'.
Gives me an idea - will ask daughter to get me a copy for Christmas and give it a go.

I've recently read "Gone with the Wind" - not sure what I expected (I've not watched the film), but it was superb. I really enjoyed it, even though some of the wording jarred considerably with a modern day perspective.

Everything that J.P. Donleavy has written, I have read, most of it excellent.
Living Ireland help you relate to the stories.
Earliest major book memory is How Green Is My Valley. I was about 11 or 12. Monster book about life in the Welsh Valleys and coal mining family.

I've recently read "Gone with the Wind" - not sure what I expected (I've not watched the film), but it was superb. I really enjoyed it, even though some of the wording jarred considerably with a modern day perspective.
good point! I remember being shocked when reading Huckleberry Finn last year for the first time. The blase use of the n word was a surprise!

I've nearly finished all the Graham Greene books - slowed down over the last couple of years as I don't want to have finished them all. Fantastic writer and the books are very easy to read too.

I've nearly finished all the Graham Greene books - slowed down over the last couple of years as I don't want to have finished them all. Fantastic writer and the books are very easy to read too.
Brighton Rock has been on my 'to read' list for ages, must pull my finger out.

I like 'Keep The Aspidistra Flying' as well. I read 'Burmese Days' years ago, which I found a bit of a slog.
Have never read 'A Homage to Catalonia'.
Gives me an idea - will ask daughter to get me a copy for Christmas and give it a go.

I started reading George Orwell when I was 18. I thought everything he wrote was superb (Especially Down and Out and Keep the Aspidistra Flying).

48 years later I've found a deal on Kindle with all his books for about £2 / £3.

They are just as superb, and the deal is the bargain of the century if you have never read him.

The Malcolm Pryce Aberystwyth books are a good read, based around an old time private detective Sam Spade type working out of 22/1b stryd y popty ( Baker Street) based around Aber, so if you’ve been there you’ll know the places mentioned
Aber is run by druids, high security prison under the castle, prostitutes wear Welsh national dress, and wales once fought a war in Patagonia that ended up being their Vietnam.
I’m not selling it well here, the writing is good, it’s all a bit silly and they’re all on kindle

Back