• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chasing Europe...........

Not sure how it calculates a Scottish renaissance in the 60’s
Maybe it calculates by then the Old Firm would’ve been integrated into English football.

I think we're done now, especially if Germany tops England in the coefficient and takes that extra spot. We just haven't won enough games.

West Ham and Brighton are within reach though, if we can win the home games where you'd fancy us to be favourites. Neither are in any kind of form and West Ham only have 5 games left.

6. Newcastle 50 (Crystal Palace A, Sheff Utd H, Burnley A, Brighton H, Man Utd A, Brentford A)
7. Man Utd 50 (Sheff Utd H, Burnley H, Crystal Palace A, Arsenal H, Newcastle H, Brighton A)
8. West Ham 48 (Crystal Palace A, Liverpool H, Chelsea A, Luton H, Man City A)
9. Chelsea 47 (Arsenal A, Aston Villa A, Tottenham H, West Ham H, Nottm Forest A, Brighton A, Bournemouth H)
10. Brighton 44 (Man City H, Bournemouth A, Aston Villa H, Newcastle A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H)
11. Wolves 43 (Arsenal H, Bournemouth H, Luton H, Man City A, Crystal Palace H, Liverpool A)
12. Fulham 42 (Liverpool H, Crystal Palace H, Brentford A, Man City H, Luton A)
13. Bournemouth 42 (Aston Villa A, Wolves A, Brighton H, Arsenal A, Brentford H, Chelsea A)

Yeah, seemed pivotal at the time, especially after failing to beat Burnley. From 1-0 up and being so far on top (don't think they had a shot in the first half) we shouldn't have lost that, but we totally stopped playing and the two goals are beyond awful.

But they might only get one win from those remaining games, they're not playing well in the slightest, so they're still in range.

The most notional of notional chances but let's finish as high as we can. I reckon Brighton won't get another point. Bournemouth and West Ham aren't getting many either.

6. Man Utd 54 (Crystal Palace A, Arsenal H, Newcastle H, Brighton A)
7. Newcastle 53 (Burnley A, Brighton H, Man Utd A, Brentford A)
8. West Ham 49 (Chelsea A, Luton H, Man City A)
9. Chelsea 48 (Tottenham H, West Ham H, Nottm Forest A, Brighton A, Bournemouth H)
10. Bournemouth 48 (Arsenal A, Brentford H, Chelsea A)
11. Wolves 46 (Man City A, Crystal Palace H, Liverpool A)
12. Brighton 44 (Aston Villa H, Newcastle A, Chelsea H, Man Utd H)
13. Fulham 43 (Brentford A, Man City H, Luton A)
14. Crystal Palace 40 (Man Utd H, Wolves A, Aston Villa H)

For 8th to be Conference, Villa would have to win both semi games and the final, all 3 German clubs get knocked out at the semi stage and only get 1 win or 2 draws in any of the legs at the most.

Palace likely to have more towels on the sun beds than us, we ought to be winning that.
New manager they are playing for though 10 points from their last 4 games. As usual with them it's about getting Eze and Olise on the pitch at the same time. They've started 6 games together all season.

For 8th to be Conference, Villa would have to win both semi games and the final, all 3 German clubs get knocked out at the semi stage and only get 1 win or 2 draws in any of the legs at the most.
Pretty certain even 8th is out of reach, Man Utd (somehow, awful team) and Newcastle are too far ahead and Chelsea should get enough points to make at least that mark.

If I'd offered you finishing above Brighton and West Ham (very doable) in September 2023 you'd take it.

It feels weird to only be 3pts off 8th, still. Think 13th is closer to happening, Palace are in good form too, no guarantee of points there so even they could plausibly catch up to us.

Pretty certain even 8th is out of reach, Man Utd (somehow, awful team) and Newcastle are too far ahead and Chelsea should get enough points to make at least that mark.

If I'd offered you finishing above Brighton and West Ham (very doable) in September 2023 you'd take it.
Yeah, realistically 10th is best case and then you'd make Bournemouth favourites given the fixtures. West Ham are too far ahead, they aren't up to much but I can't see them losing to Luton

New manager they are playing for though 10 points from their last 4 games. As usual with them it's about getting Eze and Olise on the pitch at the same time. They've started 6 games together all season.
Agree, doubt whether either of them will be there next season.

Agree, doubt whether either of them will be there next season.
I think it's a similar situation to Neto with us, they want £60m for each, but not sure that money is there given the injury histories, so depends on how far they are prepared to compromise

Beating Palace would be a good result for us, they look useful at the moment. City & Liverpool you obviously can't expect much from those games.

10th would be a very good finish but I'm not going to be too upset if we finish lower than that. The 2nd half of the season has just been a bit of a mess and not one you can really pin on the playing or coaching staff. Focus is well and truly on the summer for me.

I think the frustration is that the likes of Brereton-Diaz/Fofana were well within our reach, they have scored goals since for rubbish teams, we did nothing and we're going to be a bit short of where we probably could/should have been.
I think now 8th won't qualify Europe would have been a stretch too far even without injuries and none recruitment. 7 points behind Newcastle which will likely be greater than that by the end of the season. A Cup Semi and maybe a final on the other hand...

In the 10 minutes where we actually played properly vs Cov you can see we should have battered them.

Not a criticism of Fraser or Chiwome because they're just Academy lads who aren't there yet.

I think Bournemouth could well overtake Chelsea and the Fighting George Michaels. I like Iraola and though they don’t look convincing all the time, he seems to have hit on an effective formula there.

Back