• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (H) 11/5: Build-Up & Match Thread

And tears?

Remember chatting in the concourse to the couple I sit by. Sandra gave me her usual hug and kiss then we went to sit in different parts of the stand as we didn't live in the same bubble!
I 100% did not shed a single tear, no way not at all.

Team news: "Santi's better. Pedro still won't be involved tomorrow. He's training but not done enough at high speeds to guarantee it's not a risk."

Impact of injuries: "The change in results and momentum prove it's impact us. To have no forwards available for a long part of the season was tough for us. Over the course of the season, 46 points so far, is a good season."

On manager of the season snub: "Congrats to the guys nominated, some incredible managers. I'm proud of our group, we've had some incredible moments against big teams."

On Palace: "A good coach with new ideas and their best players back available, it will be a tough test for us. A last home game and a chance to go out on a high."

"We're keen to create a really good atmosphere and send everyone off into the summer feeling positive."

On Eze & Olise: "They look like players that can play at the very top. Palace will be desperate to keep hold of them in the summer. It's a consideration for the game. Talent-wise they're up there with the best in the Premier League."

On summer plans: "I don't think there will be money available to us without selling a player. The club is expecting in the foreseeable future to fund itself. But these things can change. I wouldn't expect it to be a summer where we spend millions and millions."

"We'll have to do some really good business in the summer. It's difficult to answer until it gets going but we'll be doing everything we can."

On Podence: "Most of the loan players will come back and we'll have a discussion around what they want. You can't force someone to be here. Then it's my opinion on them and if we want them around the group."

On fans: "It's been an incredibly tough couple months for them. We've still come out of it with some credit. There's been lots of positives and the fans have been incredible."

On summer plans: "I don't think there will be money available to us without selling a player. The club is expecting in the foreseeable future to fund itself. But these things can change. I wouldn't expect it to be a summer where we spend millions and millions."
Dovetails nicely with Judah asking which high profile players will we sell, getting high fees will be difficult as it's a buyer's market and don't expect early activity in terms of players in due to the Euros.

Self sustainable isn't the same as transfers fees out equalling transfer fees in, but that's clearly the latest line

I mean ideally some idiot will give us money for Guedes and Fabio, and I would think that the kind of bids that we'd want for Kilman/Sa would be above their actual worth.

But much more likely it means selling our best players.

It's very Tory austerity. It's an ideological choice, not a financial necessity.

only takes one bad summer and we’re a bit screwed. We got away with it this year as GON did a far better job than anyone expected (especially myself!). I’m not sure you can ask him to continue overperforming without increasing the risk of relegation.

I mean arguably we had a bad summer last year (got our money back and a bit on top for Shitty Nunes and Shitter Collins, which was a miracle, but that's about it, none of the players we signed improved our starting XI and the squad got thinned out to the point where we've had to use kids in the matchday squad for months) and definitely had one the year before (as mentioned in passing on another thread this morning, £100m+ on players who were either awful or just were not bought with any kind of plan).

Eventually it'll catch up with you.

Sending the manager out with that kind of messaging before the season has even finished is nuts.

Also what on earth is the thought process here?

O'Neil - brought in to finish 17th and anything else is a bonus, praying the promoted teams are as awful as they look (they were); do significantly better than that, play some good football and get some top results before the squad is found sadly lacking. Send him out two games before the end of the season to say we're still skint, despite this blatantly not being true.

Lage - half page CV twat, mismanages the squad to the point half of them hate him, dreadful football and results...give him £100m and sack him anyway six weeks later?!

None of it is joined up at all.

We will hear from Hobbs next too. Probably after the season ticket prices are announced though

I can't wait for them to fuck off now tbh, they are doing nothing to look after the place at all. Look at the state of the stadium and the surrounding area, constantly spinning that we are skint when it's not true, people from the club actively talking up interest for our better players in the media, prices a disgrace even without the probable increase and the list goes on - we are a Premier League club about to go into their 7th consecutive season at this level but you'd never be able to tell from their actions and the way they run things, they are a shambles.

But I was told on here were going to SPEND this summer

You are all missing the obvious here - GO starts the ball rolling, Hobbs will repeat it. PTS a Liam will add to it and then, Jeff will appear cup of coffee in hand and say "there is money guys....go crazy sign who you want"

Also at the same time Johnny is made CEO of Fosun....

We'll get this too, like it's some kind of 4D chess.

You know, I don't think clubs will be adding £5m to any asking price if we say "yes, we want to have a bigger squad so we're not naming literal schoolchildren on the bench".

Look at the replies too. Enough people already buying it. Masterful gambit, sir.

If you have a sizeable core of your fanbase that continually act like gullible twats, then what's the incentive to stop treating them like it?

Posted before Deutsch conveniently highlighted one of the most prominent of them.

Good point actually, for GON to be quite so negative (honest) prior to the ST announcement is a miss step.

Unless its an outrageous increase that wakes up the whole fanbase I'm not sure it really matters.

Even if we lost heavily tomorrow to couple the no investment messaging I just think more would renew later on. Dan has spoken quite eloquently of how he goes full Keith Curle when it comes to renewing but always tends to cave.

The odd few melting away like me last season doesn't incentivise them to do anything.

Back