• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup Semi-Final: Watford 3-2 Wolves Verdict Thread

White Wolf

Reaction score
Difficult to find words for this, gutted. I'd rather have lost in a similar manner to October than this.

First half was scrappy and Watford seemed very threatening, Deeney was very good. Gray missed a big chance and Coady made a fantastic block and we led against the run of play from a nice set piece.

Counter-attacking game worked better in the second half, Jota and Jimenez were stretching the backline and causing problems. But apart from the spell between our second (and could have been third if Doherty had a better touch!) and their first I thought Watford were the better side, looked more threatening and kept the ball better.

Annoyingly none of that would have mattered if Deulofeu hadn't scored - game-changer and it is unfortunate for us that he had one of those games where he was pretty much unplayable. Very nice goal and you could feel how nervy it had suddenly got - we sat back too much and were very poor at retaining possession from then on. Haven't seen the penalty back can't speak on it, had a poor view. But from then on didn't think we had a chance. As I said in the match thread you could feel the belief sap out of the team and fans.

Looked like Ruddy could do better for the third and Cav wasted a big chance late on but I think Watford deserved the win overall. Fair play to them, they are a good side having a fantastic season and if we don't get 7th then I hope they win the cup.

Off you go...

Donck should have done better on Deulofeu's first, showed him inside but a great hit. Again all on Donck for the pen.

3rd is probably Ruddy, reckon Rui would have saved it.

Worst was our fans today, abysmal. No singing, no chanting, no passion. The team deserved 34000 fans backing them, instead they got a few small pockets of support.

Worst was our fans today, abysmal. No singing, no chanting, no passion. The team deserved 34000 fans backing them, instead they got a few small pockets of support.

Controversial, but I agree. I've been to two none Molinuex games this season and both times we've been outsung by a team with a fucking drum

Naught wrong with a good drum!

Two good breaks when we were 2-0 up, fluffed both of them, score either one and it would have been game over. Gutting as it is I wouldn't attach blame to anyone really though. They've done us proud this season.

There is absolutely everything wrong with it. It's plastic and small time and a proper club should drown it out just as we did at Bolton away last season for example

I’m just utterly gutted. Tough to take.

Chances to win the FA Cup do not come along very often. To lose from a winning position is difficult to accept. The cynicism of players like Deeney & Holebas won out in the end. I hope City beat them 5-0

really sucks watching that 2 goal shutout turn into a loss within 30 minutes. had to just turn the tv/computer off and go eat lunch after it ended. :wallbash:

Chances to win the FA Cup do not come along very often. To lose from a winning position is difficult to accept. The cynicism of players like Deeney & Holebas won out in the end. I hope City beat them 5-0

Is it cynicism or is it professionalism? Say what you like about Deeney he had an absolute, 110% will-to-win

Didn't see anything particularly cynical from either player, even though Holebas is a certified twat.

Gutted, but proud to be a wolves fan today.

It took something really special to deny us.

I think not having a strong bench ultimately cost us, but that will change.

I don't see this as a failure, it's a watermark to how far we've come. On our way we beat man united, Liverpool and broke Bristol city again.

We'll strengthen again in the summer and be even better next season.

Bollocks. We were 2-0 up against a side who are at a similar level. I can appreciate how far we have come over the last couple of years, but please let's leave this 'we are proud of you' crap at the door. We threw away the chance of getting into a Cup Final. Stupid errors and naïve defending did that not some plucky lower league side.The level we are now at you shouldn't do that, it's fucking annoying not unlucky

Every team makes defensive mistakes, everyone. Watford today just showed that their time in the premier league has been put to good use and they have more experienced and in general better players at this level.

That won't be for long though.

I do worry about the psychological effect of the way we lost that. Will need some bloody good management and some strong minds for some players to recover. But as Andy rightly says, the bench cost us. There will be 5 or 6 players arriving in the summer and we will be much stronger.

Bollocks. We were 2-0 up against a side who are at a similar level. I can appreciate how far we have come over the last couple of years, but please let's leave this 'we are proud of you' crap at the door. We threw away the chance of getting into a Cup Final. Stupid errors and naïve defending did that not some plucky lower league side.The level we are now at you shouldn't do that, it's fucking annoying not unlucky
I think that is massively unfair.

Feeling quite philosophical about it now, obviously we threw it away so very disappointed. However didn't expect to be at a semifinal this early in the fosun journey so hopefully more to come. Glad I'm staying the night as seeing the state of some of our fans don't think I could face a 2 hour train ride home with them.

A pint of wiehenstephan in the Euston tap is helping though.

I think that is massively unfair.

It really isn't. We mismanaged a game against a similar side with 10 minutes to go and blew a Cup Final. Where we have come from is irrelevant, we are a top half PL side and fucked it up.

Back